Cadets Uniform

The DM's wore either maroon or gold cummerbunds and cross belts. Here is a pic from 1954.

1954 pic

It's amazing to look at pictures of The Cadets from even the late 1930's, and see how remarkably similar and unchanged your uniforms have been over these last 75 some odd years. While it's certainly true that a " Cadet " is not a " Cadet" simply by virtue of the uniform, ( ie, it is the values, camaraderie, work effort, determination, and all the other intangibles that come to the fore ) it is one of The Cadets most distinquishable, identiable, qualities that the viewing public first notices. It is a wonderfully designed, classically inspired Drum Corps, " Cadet- style" uniform. I, like others, will miss seeing their Cadets uniform on the field this summer, and hope for it's return in the near future.

And best of luck to The Cadets marchers this year. I hope they have a FANTASTIC summer doing Drum Corps, no matter what attire the staff there decide to put them in this summer. I hope their show will be a big hit with the fans no matter what they wear.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yup - in other words...not that big of a deal...but not all that much cause for excitment either.

I agree. While I won't pretend to have an attachment to Cadets traditions like alumni do, as a fan this doesn't seem like a huge deal either way. It seems like Hop wants to do a one-time change (that's the interp. I'm making based on posts and other things I've read/heard from alumni and staffers) for a specific effect for this show. If that's the case, I suspect the corps will go back to the uniforms at a later date.

Or not

Either way, this seems like nothing new or revolutionary in our activity. While I've been on DCP for awhile, I don't remember if alumni were upset in 05 and 06: was that the case?

Personally, I know Hop and the other designers will make a decision that is well-reasoned and though-out because the uniform history is so important. If he wants to chance a change to such a beloved and long-standing icon of the corps to further the show, I personally can't wait to see what's in store.

Will I be embarrased or thrilled by what I see? Who knows... but I trust the man enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll reserve judgement on whether it was worth it or not for finals night when we see it all come together.

• Like 1

It's amazing to look at pictures of The Cadets from even the late 1930's, and see how remarkably similar and unchanged your uniforms have been over these last 75 some odd years. While it's certainly true that a " Cadet " is not a " Cadet" simply by virtue of the uniform, ( ie, it is the values, camaraderie, work effort, determination, and all the other intangibles that come to the fore ) it is one of The Cadets most distinquishable, identiable, qualities that the viewing public first notices. It is a wonderfully designed, classically inspired Drum Corps, " Cadet- style" uniform.

Exactly!

• Like 1

This was just leaked from the DeMoulin factory. I hope it's not accurate.

Cadetsnewuni.jpg

• Like 2

This was just leaked from the DeMoulin factory. I hope it's not accurate.

Cadetsnewuni.jpg

If they changed their show from an "Angels & Demons" theme to "Unicorns and Centaurs", then yes... that would be possible.

Yup - in other words...not that big of a deal...but not all that much cause for excitment either.

And slightly OT - to whoever decided to snip and paste parts of my original posts to the Cadets FB page...please stop. If I wanted to write it there, I would have put it there. As tame and respectful as I tried to be, I posted on this, a 'neutral site' for a reason, rather than chosing a page run by the corps, and accessed by WAY more current members and staff. It's one thing to ask the kids to ignore dcp, but their own FB page?...not likely...

C'mon Nick. This is the internet. You should have known based on what has been happening over the past 40-something pages that a post as passionate as yours would've eventually ended up there. Don't be naive.

From this thread I've learned that everyone is doing all this complaining basically for nothing. There has been many changes over the years and alumni and fans have spoken out against it, but the change has still happened. So in the end, this entire thread is irrelevant.

• Like 2

1 last post...

I've had several PM's with a younger Alumni of The Cadets and he's given me a few things to think about.

Please bear with me as I try to articulate a few of my thoughts.

When I first heard of the uniform change I immediately saw red. I was furious. As I stated in previous posts I tried to explain those feelings. I honestly was not attacking the current members and I want to stress that. It's important to me that be understood. I have zero expectation that non-Cadets will understand the devotion that some of us have for our uniform. That's fine too.

Now for the epiphany... :smile:

It's still my Corps. But it's not. Yes, FHNSAB. But, it's THEIR Corps now. It's theirs to do with as they wish. It appears to me that the younger Alumni do not have the same attachment to the uniform that some of us do from "back in the day". That doesn't make MY devotion any less. It doesn't change MY experience. Sure I'd love it if they felt the same way as I do. But as those of you that attempted to force your opinion on those of us that feel the way we do, it's also not right for us to force our opinions on them. Shocker, right? I nearly passed out when that sunk in. You're probably right that some of us were being selfish. I told myself that protecting that tradition would benefit the current members so that they too could enjoy that aspect of Cadetdom. Turns out that they don't seem to need it. Which is fine. Regardless of whatever uniform The Cadets wear in the future that iconic West Point uniform is still an important part of me. It can never be taken away. Whatever values the current members have are a part of them as well. Who am I to try to take them away?

Finally, if any of my posts have offended any of the current membership I sincerely apologize.

• Like 7

1 last post...

I've had several PM's with a younger Alumni of The Cadets and he's given me a few things to think about.

When I first heard of the uniform change I immediately saw red. I was furious. As I stated in previous posts I tried to explain those feelings. I honestly was not attacking the current members and I want to stress that. It's important to me that be understood. I have zero expectation that non-Cadets will understand the devotion that some of us have for our uniform. That's fine too.

It's still my Corps. But it's not. Yes, FHNSAB. But, it's THEIR Corps now. It's theirs to do with as they wish. It appears to me that the younger Alumni do not have the same attachment to the uniform that some of us do from "back in the day". That doesn't make MY devotion any less. It doesn't change MY experience. Sure I'd love it if they felt the same way as I do. But as those of you that attempted to force your opinion on those of us that feel the way we do, it's also not right for us to force our opinions on them. Shocker, right? I nearly passed out when that sunk in. You're probably right that some of us were being selfish. I told myself that protecting that tradition would benefit the current members so that they too could enjoy that aspect of Cadetdom. Turns out that they don't seem to need it. Which is fine. Regardless of whatever uniform The Cadets wear in the future that iconic West Point uniform is still an important part of me. It can never be taken away. Whatever values the current members have are a part of them as well. Who am I to try to take them away?

Finally, if any of my posts have offended any of the current membership I sincerely apologize.

Whoever that younger alumni was, he deserves a round of applause, beer, or whatever for getting that point through.

• Like 1

1 last post...

... only able to like this once unfortunately, otherwise would've spent the rest of my day at work pressing the green "plus".

Perfectly stated.

• Like 1