Cadets Uniform

Whoever that younger alumni was, he deserves a round of applause, beer, or whatever for getting that point through.

It took awhile so you need to take up a rather large collection for a cruise or a week in Hawaii. Beer's just not gonna cut it. :wink:

• Like 1

It took awhile so you need to take up a rather large collection for a cruise or a week in Hawaii. Beer's just not gonna cut it. :wink:

Sorry, i'm only taking a collection for my trip to finals. :cool:

C'mon Nick. This is the internet. You should have known based on what has been happening over the past 40-something pages that a post as passionate as yours would've eventually ended up there. Don't be naive.

From this thread I've learned that everyone is doing all this complaining basically for nothing. There has been many changes over the years and alumni and fans have spoken out against it, but the change has still happened. So in the end, this entire thread is irrelevant.

Paragraph 1 - yeah i know, its not that surprising. That said, I have a history of annoying people in the organization enough, and I didn't want to be THAT direct, by having my words on their page. It may seem like a minor distinction, but this is a public site for all corps, wheras that is their facebook page, and if I'm there, I intend to be generally supportive... Fact is, I know who did it (not that I know the person), and it was already taken down in the middle of the night when i doubt many folks saw it, so no harm, no foul.

Paragraph 2 - wait, really? people on an internet forum dont have much say in the matter?? Dang, and all this time I thought otherwise. Seriously though, you, I, and pretty much everyone else knows it's irrelevant, but so is having 27 prediction threads, arguing over who should have won 8 months after the season ending, or having 3000 lolcorps pictures. We do this because at best its fun, engaging, nice to meet / talk to new folks (and then meet them in real life perhaps later...you and I are still working on that last part). At worst its a cheap form of entertainment....watching people mouth off pointlessly, aka...the internet version of a train wreck. Still...here we are.... :sleeping:

Slight non-sequiter (but actually not)...and I would be stunned if you didnt already know this: There was a certain championship-winning show that was going to be performed with the entire corps in street clothes...just like the guard. I'll give you a vague, non-direct hint as to what that show was...um YOU MARCHED IT! :tongue:

Now, i've only seen that video about a thousand times, and unless my memory is going at the ripe old age of 26, im pretty sure they wore the maroon and gold. Hmm....

• Like 1

Hey man - Its Mardi Gras today! Beer would be PERFECT!! :thumbup:

after all, ive only got about 20 bottles, and one of my friends is expecting me to share...

grrrr... :thumbdown:

Kinda goofy to change your corps logo, to a design that symbolizes innovation and tradition, with an image that represents the corps uniform and then change the corps uniform the following year.

Personally, I don't have an opinion: a good show is a good show regardless of uniform. I've always liked Cadets' traditional uniform, but don't have any problems with them changing (unless, of course, the uniform doesn't work with the show). Crown has kind of been doing this for awhile, and Star did it in the 90's: both corps have utilized that as a great effect, and if Cadets can as well more power to them.

Star also did it in the 80s as well as the 90s. In reality, they mostly accessorized well. I would point out that Star's image was that of the chameleon corps, so altering uniforms and changing musical styles every year or so, showing people that they can do anything, was their style.

I really don't think you can compare Star with THE Cadets on this front. It seems that many Cadets people like the uniform the way it is.

Of course, my original opinion on THAT front is the same.

We do this because at best its fun, engaging, nice to meet / talk to new folks (and then meet them in real life perhaps later...you and I are still working on that last part).

Good luck with that, Nick.

Tekk and I have been at finals for the past 2 (maybe 3 years) and have had every intention of meeting face to face. But short of maybe spotting someone that may be him in the stands, it hasn't happened.

He's a drum corps ninja.

:ph34r:

Edit: Can't spell for crap today....

Edited by chaddyt

1 last post...

I've had several PM's with a younger Alumni of The Cadets and he's given me a few things to think about.

Please bear with me as I try to articulate a few of my thoughts.

When I first heard of the uniform change I immediately saw red. I was furious. As I stated in previous posts I tried to explain those feelings. I honestly was not attacking the current members and I want to stress that. It's important to me that be understood. I have zero expectation that non-Cadets will understand the devotion that some of us have for our uniform. That's fine too.

Now for the epiphany... :smile:

It's still my Corps. But it's not. Yes, FHNSAB. But, it's THEIR Corps now. It's theirs to do with as they wish. It appears to me that the younger Alumni do not have the same attachment to the uniform that some of us do from "back in the day". That doesn't make MY devotion any less. It doesn't change MY experience. Sure I'd love it if they felt the same way as I do. But as those of you that attempted to force your opinion on those of us that feel the way we do, it's also not right for us to force our opinions on them. Shocker, right? I nearly passed out when that sunk in. You're probably right that some of us were being selfish. I told myself that protecting that tradition would benefit the current members so that they too could enjoy that aspect of Cadetdom. Turns out that they don't seem to need it. Which is fine. Regardless of whatever uniform The Cadets wear in the future that iconic West Point uniform is still an important part of me. It can never be taken away. Whatever values the current members have are a part of them as well. Who am I to try to take them away?

Finally, if any of my posts have offended any of the current membership I sincerely apologize.

See, everyone? Free speech does have it's moments.

• Like 1

1 last post...

I've had several PM's with a younger Alumni of The Cadets and he's given me a few things to think about.

Please bear with me as I try to articulate a few of my thoughts.

When I first heard of the uniform change I immediately saw red. I was furious. As I stated in previous posts I tried to explain those feelings. I honestly was not attacking the current members and I want to stress that. It's important to me that be understood. I have zero expectation that non-Cadets will understand the devotion that some of us have for our uniform. That's fine too.

Now for the epiphany... :smile:

It's still my Corps. But it's not. Yes, FHNSAB. But, it's THEIR Corps now. It's theirs to do with as they wish. It appears to me that the younger Alumni do not have the same attachment to the uniform that some of us do from "back in the day". That doesn't make MY devotion any less. It doesn't change MY experience. Sure I'd love it if they felt the same way as I do. But as those of you that attempted to force your opinion on those of us that feel the way we do, it's also not right for us to force our opinions on them. Shocker, right? I nearly passed out when that sunk in. You're probably right that some of us were being selfish. I told myself that protecting that tradition would benefit the current members so that they too could enjoy that aspect of Cadetdom. Turns out that they don't seem to need it. Which is fine. Regardless of whatever uniform The Cadets wear in the future that iconic West Point uniform is still an important part of me. It can never be taken away. Whatever values the current members have are a part of them as well. Who am I to try to take them away?

Finally, if any of my posts have offended any of the current membership I sincerely apologize.

+1 great post!

On a side note...

To the person posting DCP comments on the Cadets Facebook Page:

Hey! Yes, I am talking to you. You forgot to post the above post to the Cadets Facebook Page... :rolleyes: ... but don't. :ph34r:

Edited by charlie1223

To the person posting DCP comments on the Cadets Facebook Page:

Personally, I think copying someone else's thoughts and reposting them on another forum is wrong. Yes, it's a public forum and one takes that risk, but come on...

If that person wanted to post what he said on the Facebook page, he would've. Pretty underhanded way of making a point, IMO.

• Like 3