Cadets Uniform

True. This is an internal struggle now within The Cadets organization, and I recognize that he is not " the devil ".

I was just pointing out that a lot of people didn't get the vibes of a lot of love," respect", from " G " when he walked up to the podium last year and without batting an eye, nor with any sense of remorse, or relunctance, called for the death of the Open Class Corps.

When somebody calls for the death of your Corps, I 'd say that falls into the realm of " disrespect ". Whether you or others think so or not.

It has already been noted that this was not the idea of George Hopkins, but the word of the entire original G-7 team that came together to talk about what they thought was best for the future of drum corps. Any shot at Hopkins in the G-7 debate is irrelevant, because his only association as an individual with ANY of the proposals is that the group elected him to voice them at the meeting. Quite frankly, who else would have had the cojones to stand up and voice for the end of the open class, even if it wasn't there idea.

Not saying I support the movement, but I certainly don't resent Hopkins for any of the proposals, because there is NO way of knowing if they originated from him or the other 6 members.

• Like 4

See, everyone? Free speech does have it's moments.

Audiob... On one hand I applaud the "retiredjedi" for seeing the error of his ways and repenting... On the other hand I see his earlier commentary as crumudgeon type thinking and that he and many others think for some crazy and stupid reason that if drum corps does not go back to the way they remember it when they marched... That they will ##### and moan and make everybody miserable... So "jedi"... good for you, you decided to grow up in a public forum and showed us all that you are willing to admit wrongdoing/wrongthinking/wrongspeach... for that you get a plus but for the person you were before being beaten into submission by an under 21 year old MM, not so much applause!

True. But we do know how " For He Who's Name Shall Always Be G. " feel about 2 dozen Drum Corps in Open Class. He has more than a little "contempt" for these Corps.

Lets be frank and honest here. If he had his way, they'd all be pushing up daisies. That's not wild speculation or a need for the reading of what's inside his brain. That's just a fact derived the simple ability to hear what comes out of " G's " vocal chords.

It's one thing to go overboard in our criticisms of " G. ". That's a fair point. But it's also not helpful not to recognize that some of his recommendations clearly make a lot of people wince when we hear his defenders say that he doesn't "disrespect" or hold in" contempt" other Corps and fans.

His actions, and his recommendations clearly speak otherwise.

This is totally irrelevant to a discussion about uniforms. There's no need to dredge all that up again in here.

• Like 2

Audiob... On one hand I applaud the "retiredjedi" for seeing the error of his ways and repenting... On the other hand I see his earlier commentary as crumudgeon type thinking and that he and many others think for some crazy and stupid reason that if drum corps does not go back to the way they remember it when they marched... That they will ##### and moan and make everybody miserable... So "jedi"... good for you, you decided to grow up in a public forum and showed us all that you are willing to admit wrongdoing/wrongthinking/wrongspeach... for that you get a plus but for the person you were before being beaten into submission by an under 21 year old MM, not so much applause!

What is this?, "pile it on" hour? No wonder people so rarely change their minds on here...first you go through the embarassment of admitting you were wrong, and then after the fact, people keep on reminding you about it!

And he may not want me to say it, but it was no under 21 year old MM that talked to him, and there was no 'beating into submission'. He asked me a few questions via PM, and I answered them. Mostly, we've been swapping stories, and finding out that things are WAY more 'the same' then they are different...but a few things have changed, and it gave him a different perspective. Seriously though...its bad enough insulting the people that disagree with you ..... crazy and stupid reason that if drum corps does not go back to the way they remember it when they marched... That they will ##### and moan and make everybody miserable... ...

...but you take it a step further and go after people that are actually on your side! It's no wonder people view the 'progressives' as superior and arrogant sometimes...

• Like 6

This is totally irrelevant to a discussion about uniforms. There's no need to dredge all that up again in here.

It's all context, my Man... all in context.

If you looked at the context of my remarks you will see that they was direct response to Cadet2000 above that said that " G " does not " disrespect " or hold " contempt " for anyone. Cadet2000 was not talking about the Cadets uniform. He specifically mentioned " G " and the fact that " G " does not show " disrespect " or " contempt " for anyone. As a result, in my opinion Cadet2000 opened the door to an example where " G " HAS indeed " disrespected " and held in " contempt " others. I used " G's " recommendation to kill off 2 dozen Corps as an example of G's " disrespect " and of " contempt " of others. It was germaine to what Cadet2000 said. Afterwards, Cadet2000 replied in a reasonable way that he also was against such a proposal, but did not want to get into that now on this thread. My reply to him on that was " no problem ". It ended there..... but then we immediately had another poster right after that asking if I held others responsible as well who recommended the killing off of these Corps... I said " yes ". And it ended there.... until you brought up once again that this is " irrelevent " to the uniform controversy thread. So there is no confusion... " YES ", the fact that " G " ( and others in the G-9 ) want to kill off 2 dozen Corps need NOT be discussed ANY MORE on The Cadets staff decision to change their uniform. That's the deal. We all move on from that now. We all agree.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What is this?, "pile it on" hour? No wonder people so rarely change their minds on here...first you go through the embarassment of admitting you were wrong, and then after the fact, people keep on reminding you about it!

And he may not want me to say it, but it was no under 21 year old MM that talked to him, and there was no 'beating into submission'. He asked me a few questions via PM, and I answered them. Mostly, we've been swapping stories, and finding out that things are WAY more 'the same' then they are different...but a few things have changed, and it gave him a different perspective. Seriously though...its bad enough insulting the people that disagree with you ..... crazy and stupid reason that if drum corps does not go back to the way they remember it when they marched... That they will ##### and moan and make everybody miserable... ...

...but you take it a step further and go after people that are actually on your side! It's no wonder people view the 'progressives' as superior and arrogant sometimes...

thank God you're back

• Like 2

Earlier on in this thread, I posted the pic below. A fellow alumnus pointed me to a link that gives the story behind the pic. Here it is:

The Story

2791799410001244023S600x600Q85.jpg

Cool. Most current players, sports teams, etc are really interested in the traditions and history of their school's teams, players from the past. I'm sure this is no exception. Thank you for posting this. I enjoyed learning about the story behind the pic. here . Earlier this week on another thread, cadetrob, we had a poster that gave us the background behind the formation of the Santa Clara Vanguard, particulary on how they arrived at the selection of the name. I found it quite educatonal and informative also. Thank you, cadetrob, for posting this picture into our Drum Corps activity's past, and particularly The Cadets history here.

Edited by BRASSO