Cadets Uniform

Well there was a time in history when Cadets did not wear the traditional uniform.

It was somewhere between 1958 - 1961....once they broke from the Holy Name church and became Garfield Cadets, they ended up losing the West Point uniforms. So they had to wear golf shirts and shorts.

Well, who knows.. maybe the Holy Name Cadets from Garfield, New Jersey will come out in golf shirts and shorts this year. Maybe Geoffs attire last year was a trial balloon.

Look, something that has worked for 50 years may not work any more. Lets see what costumes this Corps comes out with this year before jumping to conclusions. Besides, the costumes might fit this year's theme better than what they've had for 50 years. ( ps... I also think the NY Yankees need to change their pinstripes. It's just not keeping up with the times any more for them now either, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO

If they're changing uniforms I can only hope these things:

1. They don't bastardize the classic uniform (see 2005-2006)

2. They don't go all "WGI" on us and wear colorful jammies on the field.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :shutup:

You may all think I am crazy for this, but I am now even MORE adamant about staying away from ANY G-8 show. George Hopkins is out of control at this point, and anything that he "likes" I will dis-like.

The de-friending of people that volunteer for your organization, that MARCHED in your organization, over issues they had is just the last straw for me. He will get what he wants at all costs. That is not a situation that I can support.

Sorry to rant, but the uniform change and the treatment of the alumni/volunteers is just unacceptable.

• Like 4

From what I understand, the changes will be pretty "drastic". But it seems when the Cadets change a shade of color on their uniforms, it's considered "drastic" by just about everyone. And as much as I wish that they kept things as is (if only to give people less to ##### about), I do think the changes will play a significant part in the show.

As long as they play and march like the devil, I'll be happy.

Side note: Why is it the Cadet uniform seems to define them more than any other corps?

• Like 1

Who decides what goes on that list of things that never can change? NEVER!

To all those trying to decide which bridge to jump off of, I'd like to share this little fact: That uniform you can't imagine ever changing? It was new once. Everything was new once. It's okay.

HH

• Like 5

Because they're the only corps to (up until now) never have changed their uniform aside from a few slight alterations every now and then. It's still always been the same basic concept.

OK, I can understand that.

But does changing what they wear on the field make them any less "Cadets"?

Because they're the only corps to (up until now) never have changed their uniform aside from a few slight alterations every now and then. It's still always been the same basic concept.

And who ever said that the uniform change isn't just a slight alteration? Like the slight alterations made before in past shows? People are jumping to the conclusion that its going to "terrible" just because the word "change" is used... which is being dramatic. No one knows what the uniforms will look like, or how much they will ACTUALLY change so there is honestly nothing to be dramatic about.

• Like 1

But does changing what they wear on the field make them any less "Cadets"?

Absolutely NOT. I think alumni still consider themselves Cadets even though they are no longer in the uniform and members I'm sure are still Cadets before and after shows... being a cadet is not a uniform design I think its more of a mentality more than anything else. The same goes for any other corps that has changed their uniform... Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Crown, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats... etc. What they wore didn't change who they were or what they stood for. All those corps that changed their uniform (especially if its for only a season like has been mentioned) did not change who they were.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1