WGI-Type Unitards and DCI

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you could ever like DCI corps in WGI-type Unitards?

• Never
    • Maybe
    • Probably
    • Definitely

I'd welcome it so long as not every corps felt pressured to do it.

EDIT: Check out Lincoln-Way East HS's Marching Griffins. The trend is out there and it really does work. I'd love to see some corps go this direction.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

Maybe I come from too different a perspective since I teach a WGI group, but I would love to see more groups embrace themed costumes.

For those unaware of what WGI outfits look like, here is a great gallery from one of last year's regionals: http://www.marching.com/photos/2010-wgi-percussion-regional-photos/index.php

Thanks for the examples. With the exception of Green Thunder they were all hideous.

• Like 1

Would I accept WGI-style unitards in DCI? Absolutely not, simple as that. They kill the entire ensemble's credibility in my opinion.

Maybe I come from too different a perspective since I teach a WGI group, but I would love to see more groups embrace themed costumes.

For those unaware of what WGI outfits look like, here is a great gallery from one of last year's regionals: http://www.marching.com/photos/2010-wgi-percussion-regional-photos/index.php

Thanks. It's great to have some examples provided to get a sense of what we're talking about. Having said that...

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

It's a look that I find somewhat sloppy looking and too casual. IMO, I guess "frumpy" would be an adjective that I'd use to describe most of those "costumes," and when viewed from up close, to me most of them look like they were homemade... by different sewers.

Beyond the various colors, I think they lack uniformity in how they wear from person to person, and they don't seem to support the definition of visual style (marching) and movement that many people associate with drum corps. There's very little that appears sharp, crisp, clean, or well defined in the details, and to me each of those things are what I typically use to define excellence in the overall visual presentation (uniforms, colors, etc.) of a drum & bugle corps. I guess I don't have a problem with such a look for the color guards in the corps activity, because it offers a bit of contrast or balance between the guard's contribution and the more articulated look of most corps uniforms.

I know some people find the style and look of them appealing, but I'm not one of those people. Let WGI and the Indoor Percussion activity keep them. There's no need to throw everything (including style of uniforms) into the same melting pot of pageantry arts.

Thanks for the examples. With the exception of Green Thunder they were all hideous.

I find that interesting. I don't think this:

rhythm-x-2010b.jpg

is very far removed from this:

cavaliers-2010a.jpg

Nor do I think this:

s2pic.th.jpg

is very far from this:

colts-2010b.jpg

As far a the "crispness" that another poster referred to, you can get uniforms designed that way, they just cost more which is why most groups shy away from it. My group's tops this year ran over $80 each for the stretch pullover type top. For our design in a "marching jacket" style, they would have been over $120 each. Obviously if you were working with a drum corps budget versus that of a small independent percussion group, this is much less of an issue. Also, you may get more of a discount for outfitting so many members, though that is just speculation on my part.

I don't it is necessary for drum corps to change their uniforms every year like WGI groups do, but I do think that if groups do, more people would enjoy it more than they think.

• Like 1

Thank you for the photo link, it shows my thoughts were a bit off subject, hehe!

I can see how it would appeal to much of the youth, and think that if a show necessitated the use, I could learn to accept it (to a degree). I still would prefer a more traditional approach - but can understand that performers today would prefer something different.

Guess I'm closing in on acquiring a Grumpy Old Man card... :huh:

The trend seems to be bright, shapeless & a size to big.

1. There are plenty of dark, form-fitting costuming choices out there.

2. I thought most of the examples were great EXCEPT for Green Thunder which looked like a cheapo version of a regular uniform.

It'd be way more comfortable and probably fit much better with today's programmatic choices. Drum corps isn't anything like the military. Once we drop that element, we'll lose that connection that doesn't REALLY exist anyway. Today's "uniforms" are far enough away anyway - Blue Stars, Colts, etc. do not have a military look whatsoever and could accomplish the same effects visually in a different style of costuming. Other corps like Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and SCV all rely heavily on a more military inspired costume; these corps should be free to continue doing what they are doing if they choose.

I'd like to see a mix.

Hmm, like I said in the other uniform thread, I don't actually care what they wear. However, the WGI uniforms in the gallery kind of startled me with just how outlandish they seemed. I assume any group that uses themed costumes/uniforms each year will feel pressure to go cheaper and maybe that's the source of the "frumpiness". Although you'd think that would be more apparent in an up-close performance like WGI.

What I'm saying is, I have no good argument against any particular type of uniform, but I personally would be happier wearing most DCI marching uniforms than I would in most of the WGI uniforms in the gallery.

IOW, ignore me. :huh2:

Many corps uniforms look strange or cheap up close but fantastic on the field - the difference between WGI and DCI is the level of separation between performer and audience.