What qualifies you as a member of a corps?

for clarification that was all in 2010. I marched a complete season in 09 on tuba

I see, TubaJon... ok.

I think you should ask members of the corps what they feel is appropriate. They may be entirely supportive of your calling yourself a member for 2010. From what you've said, you certainly busted yours for the corps and I'd hope they would see and recognize that.

• Like 1

I ask this question because i was wondering at what point are you a member of a corps and can wear that jacket. Do you consider someone a member of a corps as soon as they get a contract? but what if they get hurt in move-ins and never march a show? Or what if they are an alternate? or what if someone only marches one show? Your thoughts?

Once you complete at least a decade marching with the same corps.

:tongue: (jk. See my signature. :devil: )

Once you complete at least a decade marching with the same corps.

:tongue: (jk. See my signature. :devil: )

haha... with this definition, the numbers of " members of Corps " is a very small number indeed!

( by the way, congratulations to the loyalty you showed to your corps. That degree of service, loyalty, and participation is quite an extraodinary achievement, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Darn, so I'm 2 years shy of being a member? But I was soooooo close! :-p

I made the Jr's decade member definition ( won't blow my " horn " again with this. )

Edited by BRASSO

Patches, contracts, after the first show, after finals...yikes. First of all eliminate "after finals" from the equation. Some corps didn't or don't make finals so that shouldn't be a qualifier for being a "member". As far as jackets or patches...I never had either when I marched, but I was absolutley a member (for three years) and am now part of the alumni. A member of the alumni perhaps?

As I see it, you are a corps member so long as you are carried on the organizations books as a member. Pretty self-evident. In your first year through Nationals you are a rookie; but a rookie member (injuries not being a factor). If you leave before that time, during the year, you are no longer a member and would be hard pressed to be considered and alum. In gfact I would never consider you one and would not even recognize you had been a member. Maybe a rehearsal participant. After you've marched nationals and you remain in a corps, you are a veteran member (of that particular organization). When you leave a corp (age out or otherwise) and leave while you were/are in good standing, you are no longer a member; you are an alum and I suppose can be one of more than one organization.

In my personal opinion if you survive auditions, move in and complete the first show you are showing your intentions and support of being a member of the corps. I cannot imagine anyone going through all of that and then quitting once they get a jacket. They are in as far as I am concerned.

Injuries happen to the best of the best. Sometimes it cannot be helped. Sometimes its just in the cards. Did that make them any less of a member???

Not in my book. Give them a jacket.

I think some corps have other polices like you can buy a jacket once you sign a contract and spend ZYZ time and support to the corps but you do not get a member patch, star or pin until you have completed a official show or finish the season. That seems fair enough to me.

Giving or selling member jackets to just anyone (fan) (supporter) is plain wrong.

Giving or selling member jackets to just anyone (fan) (supporter) is plain wrong.

'Guess a few hundred Honorary Corps Members over the years from many Corps are gonna have to return a lot of Corps jackets then.

Generally I figured the first show was the deciding moment. If you don't finish the season for reasons entirely under your control however I feel you shouldn't wear the jacket. You made a choice to quit then. Injuries on tour are merely an unfortunate accident, and shouldn't make you feel like less of a member.