paradigm shift?

I also just thought of this:

walking out last year at Indy, with a majority of the crowd after the last score was read, I remember people talking about 2 visual moments....Cavies and the rifle and Crown's sad issue.

What I heard musically most was Crown's hornline, Phantoms drums, Boston's Conquest and Madison.

and I'd say musical commentary outweighed visual 8-1.

coll drill isn't going to pull ##### in the seats. good musical arrangements will, and DCI has had survey answers tell them so. So one would hope they're listening

Again, personal polls mean just that! Not really something to take to the bank.....well maybe Jeff's Bank! :tongue:

• Like 1

Again, personal polls mean just that! Not really something to take to the bank.....well maybe Jeff's Bank! :tongue:

well DCI did a survey too. you'd be surprised how much the answers are similar.

Keep looking Diogenes! :tongue:

My 2nd sentence was tongue in cheek of course, per my normal MO. However, Lance does suggest it in his subtitle and also suggested the last decade was lacking in it,,,,,whatever it is!

Not sure if I should be insulted or complimented... rock.gif

After all, Diogenes mocked Alexander the Great and lived...

Plan,

Look, I'm not a cynic, or a Pollyana; I'm a realist. I call it how I see it, good or bad. Balance is key in MY world.

I'm not looking to go back either!

I think the way forward is to take the best visual ideas and marry them with arrangements that please BOTH the judges and the masses.

Edited by jjeffeory

No more than Charlie Parker playing a set at 2:30AM at "Birdland" would. I can't imagine him wondering that some non-jazz aficionado (that happened to wander in) was having difficulty getting it. It was Jazz, it was mood, it was a musical journey, and Charlie wasn't about to take a poll on who got it and who didn't. You didn't worry about "hard to listen to"....you just held on and went for the ride. If it didn't move you, you move out smartly down the avenue to some club playing more familiar stuff. But it was all good!!! For BD, music is NOT a backdrop.... it describes the moment, and even sort of lights it. It carries the players through one mood to the next. So...one man's loooooonnnnggggg segment, is another man's musical journey.

Wait, BD design staff is the equivalent of Charlie Parker! tongue.gif

Uh, no!

They're great people, but this isn't the same sort of thing. Sorry.

• Like 2

the shift i'm talking about has more to do with excellent arrangers arranging the music of excellent composers for brass and percussion instead of excellent arrangers trying to be composers themselves.

I think the way forward is to take the best visual ideas and marry them with arrangements that please BOTH the judges and the masses.

scv has been doing that with a reverse sort of focus...making visual seem to grow organically out of the truest arrangements to the original possible.

scv did that in 09 and 10, and I actually preferred 10. same philosophy, different groups of people get into it. it's exceedingly rare for a show to be equally loved by fans and judges, and always has been, IMO.

• Like 2

the shift i'm talking about has more to do with excellent arrangers arranging the music of excellent composers for brass and percussion instead of excellent arrangers trying to be composers themselves.

I like the sound of that, I'll listen for it this year, last year was more of a superior arrangers trying to be composers who were influenced by master composers' works. That's been a problem for a little while now. Maybe that's going to improve? Great!

Edited by jjeffeory

scv did that in 09 and 10, and I actually preferred 10. it's exceedingly rare for a show to be equally loved by fans and judges, and always has been, IMO.

Somebody needs to rewrite " DrumCorpsWiki" SCV history line then, because Wiki have 2010 SCV show as too confusing for a lot of Drum Corps fans who (quote ) " did not seem to get it".... and as for the judges, Wiki states the Corps finished ( quote ) " a disappointing 7th place ".

Not a lotta love it seems Lance for 2010 SCV. Maybe this year will be much better for them. I hope so.

Edited by BRASSO

lol. i'll defer to wiki always. like gps.

True, "DrumCorpsWIKI " may not always get things accurately. ( who does ? ) But in this case Lance, while you and some others may have loved the 2010 SCV show, it hard to make a compelling case this show was " equally loved by fans and judges ". It wasn't. It's really not helpful to anything at all to pretend otherwise. That said, it doesn't mean that it should lessen you and others love for the show. It shouldn't, and I'm sure it won't.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1