paradigm shift?

People haven't been complaining about the musical selections, they've been complaining about the arranging. So we won't know if there is a "paradigm shift" (or would "pendulum shift" be a better term?) until we see the shows and see how all these great pieces have been arranged. If they are sliced into elements for use as sound effects in support of what is mainly a visual presentation, as has been predominant these past 10 or so years, then the answer is no there hasn't been a paradigm shift. If on the other hand, the shows use the majesty of brass and exciting visuals to fully accentuate the melodies, harmonies, rhythms and forms of these brilliant musical compositions in a way that only drum and bugle corps can, then yes the pendulum will have shifted, and I will start attending more than one or two shows again.

• Like 2

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, the answer is yes.

Right now, I fully expect 2011 to be more intent on awesome music overall from top to bottom in dci than in the past decade or so.

My half life in dci "fandom" might just be extended a bit.

While I agree with you that the musical selections we've heard about (and some that aren't public yet!) have ticked up a notch or three on the "awesomeness" scale, I'm not sure that there's really been a paradigm shift.

How would you define the shift?

A shift from "X" to "Y" -- what's X and what's Y ?

• Like 1

Was there an actual timeframe to compare when arranging was great, and the shows reflected a musicality or were melody driven? Sure. There might be a consensus, on some years. But,

I don't think I can answer the question posed in the beginning of the thread without having something of an understanding, or something to compare 2011 to...

I like all years, and respect what all corps do. But the "awesomeness" of brass, musicality, and arranging, hitting its peak to me, (or what some might refer to as a Golden Age), was somewhere around 1992. I only say that in personal preference. Maybe others will agree. Others wont. Proof is from 92 being a CD in the car. Its also what I like to call a 2 hour joy ride up to San Fran or somewhere far in California, where I don't change the CD till its over. Whereas, in other years I might get 1 show or maybe 3 or 4 in the "rotation".

If 2011 can have a Top 12 as good as 92, (and I like the selections so far)...let "awesomeness" reign.

• Like 1

Yeah WGI I believe is experiencing the same. Although I believe championship #s maybe up or stable regionals seem to be very light the past few years and I do know for sure people are complaing about the lack of entertainment , amoung other complaints.

yep. DCi is smart to ask fans their views. Since DCI is the corps, let's see if they listen.

People haven't been complaining about the musical selections, they've been complaining about the arranging. So we won't know if there is a "paradigm shift" (or would "pendulum shift" be a better term?) until we see the shows and see how all these great pieces have been arranged. If they are sliced into elements for use as sound effects in support of what is mainly a visual presentation, as has been predominant these past 10 or so years, then the answer is no there hasn't been a paradigm shift. If on the other hand, the shows use the majesty of brass and exciting visuals to fully accentuate the melodies, harmonies, rhythms and forms of these brilliant musical compositions in a way that only drum and bugle corps can, then yes the pendulum will have shifted, and I will start attending more than one or two shows again.

As long as the current judging captions are weighed more heavily toward Guard and the Visual, it's hard to see any pendulum shift in my opinion.

A Corps can out out with 80-85 brass, but lets face it, a single Brass player does not have the same weight in the scores now as does a single Guard member. The size of the Corps are pretty much the same, but with the size of Guards smaller than the Brass lines, the Guard member carries more weight in the scores. This isn't rocket science. It's simple mathmatics. Just devide up the caption points that a brass player is judged on by the number of brass players. Then do the same thing with the Guard. Divide up the current captions points allotted to Guard and Visual and GE captions by the number of Guard a typical Corps has. Now take a look at how weighted it is toward Guard and the Visual. I'm pretty sure ( for example ) the Blue Devils have this all figured out too.

Edited by BRASSO

Well that wasn't so difficult. :rolleyes:

I would only suggest that the nature of this thread seems to imply that the paradigm shift is a return to complete music phrases as if to say the field in the last decade was rife with chop shop arrangements. IMO, as the activity became more visually promenant, the more the need for scores that compliment the visual, this is a tricky business and it's taking some for the design teams (music and viz) to feel each other out, and most importantly stay together long enough to allow it.

and hope fans have the patience to wait to see if they can achieve balance

it's a jeff thing :tongue:

It's gotta be!

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, the answer is yes.

Seeing? Drum corps has really affected your sense or perhaps it was something else

I can't think of a show that I ever got into whereas I didn't like their music.....thinking....must be one....nope...if it comes to me, I'll get back to you

For BD, music is NOT a backdrop....

Please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t BD last year keep the visual and swap out the music because another corps had announced their intent to play it?

Please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t BD last year keep the visual and swap out the music because another corps had announced their intent to play it?

I would be interested in knowing how you came into such intimate design meeting details such as that the visual concept was written before deciding upon a chart to play, I mean you say it like this is common knowledge... Please do let me know if you have more details! :devil:

Seeing? Drum corps has really affected your sense or perhaps it was something else

I can't think of a show that I ever got into whereas I didn't like their music.....thinking....must be one....nope...if it comes to me, I'll get back to you

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't BD last year keep the visual and swap out the music because another corps had announced their intent to play it?

I concur with B3 in his amazement at your wikileaksesque abilities, but if you recall from the show IT was centered around reflections (some clear, some very dark). The visual reflections were obvious, but by contrast the musical reflections required much more listening investment. Who knows why the musical design team axed "Asphalt", but if you follow the musical reflections it fits that BD would reach back into their history to re-present these selections (some dark and distorted), If you ever view "Laura" the movie, you'll see the connection and why it was such a beautiful choice of reflection and imagining passion through an image first, then in real life. If you even try a little, you'll hear amazing reditions of classic BD past pulled through a worm hole. It was really a magnificent production in every way.

Back to your regular programing! :rolleyes: