Friends of DCI

(sorry for the blur)

25% decline in a decade.

Bad economy or bad marketing, or...?

Discuss...

dcifriendsofdcimembership-001.jpg

EDIT: Note: This is not official DCI data, and was taken from unaudited sources believed to be correct.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

(sorry for the blur)

25% decline in a decade.

Bad economy or bad marketing?

Discuss...

dcifriendsofdcimembership-001.jpg

Everything's fine nothing to see. tongue.gifph34r.gif

Seriously, there are many things this could mean. My guess is that it's a combination of the economy, people dying off, others not finding value in what friends of DCI offers, and people not enjoying the direction of the product that they've supported for a while. The interesting part of the chart shows a decline in 2006, continuing to 2009. What events happened in 2005-2006 that could have possible influenced friends memberships?

Guesses: Controversial Cadet's show winning ( which I thought was a great show and the obvious choice).

The economy was going gang busters then, so I'm not sure that can account for the big dips from 2006-2008.

How many DCI friends died off then?

What were the friends deals at the time?

I think the answer lies in my thoughts written above...

Edited by jjeffeory

Seriously, there are many things this could mean. My guess is that it's a combination of the economy, people dying off, others not finding value in what friends of DCI offers, and people not enjoying the direction of the product that they've supported for a while.

I agree.... all of the above.

The economy boomed from '04 to '07.

Exactly, how soon people forget. Can't blame the economy on this one, but it's the latest excuse for everything.... devil.gif

Everything's fine nothing to see. tongue.gifph34r.gif

Seriously, there are many things this could mean. My guess is that it's a combination of the economy, people dying off

'Not sure about what the causes are. It's probably a variety of causes. But I'm pretty confident that " people dying off " is not a viable reason for the trend downward the last decade.

That's because I think we can all agree that " people dying off " is not a recent phenomenon.

'Not sure about what the causes are. It's probably a variety of causes. But I'm pretty confident that " people dying off " is not a viable reason for the trend downward the last decade.

That's because I think we can all agree that " people dying off " is not a recent phenomenon.

I listed that possible reason because I thought that a larger percentage of DCI "friends" to meet their end around 2006. Given that DCI began in 1972, and the likely age of the people who are the biggest supporters of DCI when it first started (25+) are old enough now that many of them could be passing in larger numbers.

Hopefully, that makes sense. smile.gif

I listed that possible reason because I thought that a larger percentage of DCI "friends" to meet their end around 2006. Given that DCI began in 1972, and the likely age of the people who are the biggest supporters of DCI when it first started (25+) are old enough now that many of them could be passing in larger numbers.

Hopefully, that makes sense. smile.gif

If "death " has an aspect to this, it would seem to me that is be more likely the "death of Corps" having a much greater impact, rather than the" death of people ". This would seem to make more sense, because with the death of Corps, one would naturally expect less families, friends, and fans, etc... of all ages ...to be part of the potential DCI Donor list.

But who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

If "death " has an aspect to this, it would seem to me that is be more likely the "death of Corps" having a much greater impact, rather than the" death of people ". This would seem to make more sense, because with the death of Corps, one would naturally expect less families, friends, and fans, etc... of all ages ...to be part of the potential DCI Donor list.

But who knows.

Well, good point and another possible reason for the demise of friends members this past decade, but I would have to ask did friend's membership decline from, say, 1995-2005? I mean, there were a TON of ho hum shows during that period, particularly 1995-2000... ( IMHO, yes there were gems in there too).