guards re-using shows

twirl!

Something has really been bothering me. While watching Fan Network, I've seen some shows that I recognize...

Corona - Michael Shapiro. Also directed and designed for Diamond Bar HS. Look back at their 2004 "Paper Airplane" show... Interesting similarities, including music selection. And, of course, throwing paper airplanes.

Warren Central - Again, looking back at their 2004 show when they were in SO. Same music, same basic floor design...

Am I the only person that is bothered by this? Or maybe I am the only guard nerd that has actually noticed these things... I understand when guards happen to use the same music as another guard in previous years, but when it's the same group or designer re-using a show.. Kinda sketchy in my opinion.

• Like 1

twirl!,

Thank you for noticing the similarities between Warren Central 2004 and 2011, as that was our intention. Please check out the following links: http://www.wgi.org/units/Scholastic-World-ensemble-Warren-Central-HS.html and http://www.wcperformingarts.com/color_guard.htm

I was the sound engineer for both shows and can verify that there is a total of 17 seconds from 2004 that was used in the 2011 show. DJ Felli Fel and Dmitri Green, from Los Angeles, CA, composed the entire Hip-Hop section, while Josh Talbot composed the balance of the musical element and Ms. Cynthia, (an award winning Jazz Poet), wrote and recorded the "Blinded By the Light" poem, which is the foundation to our production. These are all "original" compositions, with the engineering consisting of 83 tracks of music, hundreds of sound clips and some crazy engineering edits.

The 2004 floor was painted by Jeff Wroblewski and I, while the 2011 floor was designed by DrillPlanet.com and digitally inked. 2004 was very basic while the 2011 floor has images mixed throughout the dark portions of the floor depicting the "dark side" of our production. These images are not fully visible on Fan Network.

There are probably a ton of "Guard Nerds" out there that will tell you there have been many revisits, sequels, remakes, etc... of successful productions through the years and some have gone on to win WGI Championships in doing so. I certainly appreciate those legendary guards and look forward to future glimpses of history.

Dale Rolfson

Warren Central Staff

Dale@DrillPlanet.com

www.DrillPlanet.com

Michael James in Central Florida has reused the same exact floors, poems, quotes, music, voiceovers, designs, costuming, equipment book and movement every single year. He is in no way inventive. Every one of his guards do the same thing every year. Not my version of interesting

Not knowing Michael James very well, I can tell you that he is one of the most well-respected designers in Florida. His style is so unique and every colorguard he works with is blessed to have him. Each unit dramatically benefits from his style. While I can understand similarities from show to show, Michael James puts out quality show after quality show. I personally enjoy every show he has done this year and find each production exciting and moving in its own way. I wish more people would strive for the passion and talent he brings to the activity.

Justin Sullivan

Asst. Director/Choreographer

River City Independent

• Like 2

Not knowing Michael James very well, I can tell you that he is one of the most well-respected designers in Florida. His style is so unique and every colorguard he works with is blessed to have him. Each unit dramatically benefits from his style. While I can understand similarities from show to show, Michael James puts out quality show after quality show. I personally enjoy every show he has done this year and find each production exciting and moving in its own way. I wish more people would strive for the passion and talent he brings to the activity.

Justin Sullivan

Asst. Director/Choreographer

River City Independent

This may be true but doesnt change the fact the statement was true the OP made.Has nothing to do with talent or any of the things you mentioned. With that said , there are many or at least several designers that travel the country for a living designing shows for groups. Some have been very successful, but they have recycled many parts of many shows. Ask the members who marched. Is that bad? well, people can decide for themselves but YES it is done by a few and done often.

Topic closed. Just not terribly productive.