Cadets to Honor "The Uniform" in Special 2011 Ceremony

The West Point modeled jacket and cream pants, off-set with a gold sash and other accouchements has been in place with minor modifications for seven decades.

Accouchements?? I hope not...

But still...am I the only one who see the contradiction?

One of a few. It is completely possible to honor the past, and move on at the same time...people do it every day. Heck, the fact that we really call it drum corps nowadays is more an homage to the past that it is an actual description of the activity. Do color guards actually guard the colors? um...no, but i hope that the name doesnt change any time soon...

There are a lot of things in drum corps that used to be done, that aren't any more. Doesn't mean we cant remember and respect them. Heck, this isn't even a permanent thing (though some insist otherwise, with zero basis in fact), so its not like they're throwing the uniforms away...

One of a few. It is completely possible to honor the past, and move on at the same time...people do it every day. Heck, the fact that we really call it drum corps nowadays is more an homage to the past that it is an actual description of the activity. Do color guards actually guard the colors? um...no, but i hope that the name doesnt change any time soon...

There are a lot of things in drum corps that used to be done, that aren't any more. Doesn't mean we cant remember and respect them. Heck, this isn't even a permanent thing (though some insist otherwise, with zero basis in fact), so its not like they're throwing the uniforms away...

Gotta love the voice of reason. :thumbup:

So...

When Hop "changes" the uniform, he's an evil, un-caring, deaf-to-his-alumni brigand.

When Hop "honors" the uniform, he's a placating, sycophantic, trying-to-dig-himself-out-of-a-hole poser.

... kinda makes me wonder how this guy has ANY friends whatsoever....

Actually, the push to honor the uniform was started by a prominent alumnus.

• Like 1

So...

When Hop "changes" the uniform, he's an evil, un-caring, deaf-to-his-alumni brigand.

When Hop "honors" the uniform, he's a placating, sycophantic, trying-to-dig-himself-out-of-a-hole poser.

... kinda makes me wonder how this guy has ANY friends whatsoever....

It has to do with the timing of the creation of this "ceremony." Had this offering been announced prior to the proverbial stuff hitting the fan, it wouldn't have looked suspiscious. However, it came after there was an outcry, and I'm sure he anticipated this reaction.

Actually, the push to honor the uniform was started by a prominent alumnus.

Even so, he has two options at that point.

1.) Listen to the alumnus (which he's been accused of NOT doing) and organize the ceremony.

or

2.) Don't listen and don't bother with any ceremony.

He would definitely get #### if he chose #2 and the meme of him not listening to the alumni would be drawn out further, so he goes with #1 but is still getting #### for it. Dude can't win.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Is it going away permanently? Never to return again??

If we're having the same conversation about the uniform at this point next year, I'll side with the dramatics. But "holding a funeral" is a bit doom 'n gloom for the sake of being doom 'n gloom, IMO.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I REALLY want to see an article, transcript, minutes of a meeting, or anything that says the uniform is going away next year. I mean seriously, I will be disappointed if it is, but so far I haven't seen or heard anything that states it's going away permanantly.

I think that the fact that the uniform is such a defining feature can hold a program back. People have complained about the Cadets looking dated. Their last championship was when they did something wacky to the uniform. Nostalgia is a very powerful emotion, but it will never exist if we dont move on to something new to appreciate the old. I love the Cadets uniform. I will always be fond of it. But, when they bring it back, which they should, it will be WAY more special. I dont think the maroon and gold is what makes them the Cadets. I see what I perceive to be the true Cadet Spirit in ensemble rehearsal, in their horns up, in their horns down, in their technique, in their sound. Just watching them rehearse makes ME excited about hard work and excellence. And I never even marched there.

• Like 1