Cadets to Honor "The Uniform" in Special 2011 Ceremony

It has to do with the timing of the creation of this "ceremony." Had this offering been announced prior to the proverbial stuff hitting the fan, it wouldn't have looked suspiscious. However, it came after there was an outcry, and I'm sure he anticipated this reaction.

I call BS. If they announced this ceremony prior to announcing the change to the uniform, people would be just as upset. Do you REALLY think that anyone is surprised by how much drama this caused? That they expected to change the uniform so drastically (maybe), and noone would care? The same people that freak out when the drop sash is made shorter, or the frogs are taken off the piping, or the corps wears guantlets? Is the staff that dumb, that they were blindsided by this? Right...

I know i wasn't surprised by the drama one bit, and I doubt they were either...if anything I expected it to be worse. Had they announced the ceremony first, people would have probably felt cheated and mislead "Ohhh....first they tell us they are going to honor the uniform, and 2 seconds later they take it away...how dare they toy with us like that"

• Like 3

I REALLY want to see an article, transcript, minutes of a meeting, or anything that says the uniform is going away next year. I mean seriously, I will be disappointed if it is, but so far I haven't seen or heard anything that states it's going away permanantly.

You don't need anything in writing......Just look at the recent past starting from the first year the uniform was changed(2003). 5 out of the last 9 seasons (2003 to 2011) will have been performed in a costume and 4 out of the last 9 seasons were performed in the traditional West Point style uniforms. These year after year temporary changes are becoming not so temporary.

Edited by cadetrob
  • Like 2

You don't need anything in writing......Just look at the recent past starting from the first year the uniform was changed(2003). 7 out of the last 9 seasons (2003 to 2011) will have been performed in a costume and 2 out of the last 9 seasons were performed in the traditional West Point style uniforms. These year after year temporary changes are becoming not so temporary.

I would hardly go so far as to say what they've worn any year this decade was anything close to a "costume", but I'm also not buying into the "funeral" dramatics either.

• Like 1

You don't need anything in writing......Just look at the recent past starting from the first year the uniform was changed(2003). 7 out of the last 9 seasons (2003 to 2011) will have been performed in a costume and 2 out of the last 9 seasons were performed in the traditional West Point style uniforms. These year after year temporary changes are becoming not so temporary.

Poor Logic - 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 were in 100% traditional uniforms...pins and all (minus the wool, of course...). 2003 and 2004 looked exactly the same from far away, but were admittedly a little 'cheap looking'. 2005 and 2006 ill give you... but from the front they still looked traditional. This year is anybody's guess...but the blatant disregard for facts in these arguments is becoming silly, even at best, you exagerrated your statistics by double to make a point...

Edited by euponitone
  • Like 2

I only agree with about half of his suggestions, but I'll never understand the seemingly (to me) irrational hatred George Hopkins receives. 28 seasons. 9 DCI titles. Yet probably 90% of drum corps fans and half of his own alumnus blow a gasket every time he makes a move. Just puzzling to me.

(PS: Vince Lombardi changed the Green Bay Packers' uniforms, too)

• Like 2

Poor Logic - 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 were in 100% traditional uniforms...pins and all (minus the wool, of course...). 2003 and 2004 looked exactly the same from far away, but were admittedly a little 'cheap looking'. 2005 and 2006 ill give you... but from the front they still looked traditional. This year is anybody's guess...but the blatant disregard for facts in these arguments is becoming silly, even at best, you exagerrated your statistics by double to make a point...

I literally went back to edit my dates but you had already replied to my post(you are right..... I forgot 2007 and 2008 were in the traditional uniform). I don't consider the 2003 to 2004 (and especially 2005 and 2006) to be at all close to being the traditional uniform. You really need to take a better look at those years.

Edited by cadetrob

I literally went back to edit my dates but you had already replied to my post(you are right..... I forgot 2007 and 2008 were in the traditional uniform). I don't consider the 2003 to 2005 (and especially 2005 and 2006) to be at all close to being the traditional uniform. You really need to take a better look at those years.

Lol... i know - I marched them. To be honest, we didn't like them all that much either, but in 2003 and 2004, it was still the maroon and gold. Maybe it looked like a slight knockoff, but it was still the maroon and gold. everything from the maroon strip, to the cumberbund, drop sash, jacket, etc... were all there. We weren't happy about losing the buckle, but oh well...

As far as 05 and 06...yeah, I wore them both, and they were different. All they were in fact, of course, was the 05/06 uni jackets with different backs velcro-d on...but they were certainly unusual...

(PS: Vince Lombardi changed the Green Bay Packers' uniforms, too)

So, are you saying that if Green Bay Packers Head Football Coach, Mike McCarthy, decided next season to scrap their traditional and classic yellow and green uniforms with the " G " logo on the helmuts, and go the entire football season with a completely different uniform style ( with no " G " on the helmuts,) that most of the citizens and Packers fans in Green Bay, Wisconsin would be on board with this ?

If you think this.... think again.

While it is true that prior to Vince Lombardi becoming the Packers Coach, the Packers had undergone several uniform changes and different uniform color schemes, it was Vince Lombardi that transformed the Green Packers into an NFL powerhouse football program in the 60's. The " G " logo in the helmut ( stands for " Greatness, by the way, not " Green Bay " as some think ) was designed and incorporated into the helmuts in 1959. Likewise the colors of yellow and green were likewise established in this time frame.

The Green Bay Packers uniform and helmut logo has not substantially changed at all in 52 years. Current Green Bay Packers Head Football Coach Mike McCarthy is not changing the classic Green Bay Packers yellow and green uniform, nor the " G " in the helmut any time soon. And you can take that to the bank.

Edited by BRASSO

You don't need anything in writing......Just look at the recent past starting from the first year the uniform was changed(2003). 5 out of the last 9 seasons (2003 to 2011) will have been performed in a costume and 4 out of the last 9 seasons were performed in the traditional West Point style uniforms. These year after year temporary changes are becoming not so temporary.

Maybe you can clarify what exactly you mean by "change" because for me I really only consider 2005, 2006 to be a change, but clearly you have a different definition. Could you clarify what you feel is a "change" and did you feel the same way you do now when the uniforms first underwent your definition of "change"?

Edited by charlie1223

So, are you saying that if Green Bay Packers Head Football Coach, Mike McCarthy, decided next season to scrap their traditional and classic yellow and green uniforms with the " G " logo on the helmuts, and go the entire football season with a completely different uniform style ( with no " G " on the helmuts,) that most of the citizens and Packers fans in Green Bay, Wisconsin would be on board with this ?

If you think this.... think again.

While it is true that prior to Vince Lombardi becoming the Packers Coach, the Packers had undergone several uniform changes and different uniform color schemes, it was Vince Lombardi that transformed the Green Packers into an NFL powerhouse football program in the 60's. The " G " logo in the helmut ( stands for " Greatness, by the way, not " Green Bay " as some think ) was designed and incorporated into the helmuts in 1959. Likewise the colors of yellow and green were likewise established in this time frame.

The Green Bay Packers uniform and helmut logo has not substantially changed at all in 52 years. Current Green Bay Packers Head Football Coach Mike McCarthy is not changing the classic Green Bay Packers yellow and green uniform, nor the " G " in the helmut any time soon. And you can take that to the bank.

Okay. But don't you think this idea is different? the way the football team "looks" or the effect generated by their uniform doesn't influence the outcome of the game. For all intents and purposes, I would imagine that a uniform change in DCI can happen for a lot of reasons of which are its effectiveness to the audience as an aspect of entertainment or its effectiveness to judges in scoring Visual GE (which DO influence the outcome of the "game"). I don't know exactly "why" changes to the uniform are being made this year but I think it has more to do with the show than it does about revamping or updating the cadets look.

I just think the reasons for changing a drum corps uniform vary more than the reasons a football team would change their uniform.

About the Uniform Ceremony:

I think it will be a nice moment at the show, especially if passed alumni get to speak about how much the uniform means to them. I just only hope it stays positive and that the ceremony isn't clouded with bitterness, but I'm sure it will be a very nice moment to reflect on drum corps history.

Edited by charlie1223