Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

This topic came up in the 2011 World Class Repertoires.

Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone or euph in order to play in corps, or should trombones be used in corps instead?

Nope. They can play tuba, mello, trumpet, or anything else that is currently used in drum corps instrumentation.

• Like 1

So this will be my 2nd year of marching contra. I , along side of tuba, have played trombone since the 5th grade...despite playing trombone, I don't want to see it enter DCI. I could see why this would be a gray area, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. It could start with "Oh but it is a brass instrument"(enter trombones), then "Well it's a wind instrument that requires just as much talent & ability" (enter woodwinds), then "well it makes a noise"(????). Before you'd know it, we'd have marching trash can and piccolo corps.

Ditto. If Bluecoats pull out a trombone solo this summer, I'll judge it for the quality of the playing and the mix with the tune, the corps and the program. And I'll hope it as great as their electrifying bar solo last summer, which deserve mention among the greatest-ever drum corps solos.

HH

Yes, that solo does for sure!

. . . and that solo in the original "Asphalt Cocktail" was , I think, played by a clarinet. Obviously, matching the original instrument is not necessary.

Is that how SCV pulled off "Adagio for Strings"? Or how Star managed "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste"? I think we're on to something here.

HH

• Like 1

Is that how SCV pulled off "Adagio for Strings"? Or how Star managed "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste"? I think we're on to something here.

HH

in '91, they had a huey in the parking lot for every show... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I could never figure out how trombone players manage to ever hit the right note to begin with. All they have to work with is the entire arm length of a tuning slide. 4 inches, 7 inches, 12 inches in or out but where the hell is the note? And if everyone in the section has different arm lengths that could cause one heck of a collective tuning problem. Piston/valve brass instruments are probably much more practical for Drum Corps purposes.

I could never figure out how trombone players manage to ever hit the right note to begin with. All they have to work with is the entire arm length of a tuning slide. 4 inches, 7 inches, 12 inches in or out but where the hell is the note? And if everyone in the section has different arm lengths that could cause one heck of a collective tuning problem. Piston/valve brass instruments are probably much more practical for Drum Corps purposes.

I tend to agree with you Piper as far as the application to drum corps... But as far as slide positions it is all based on where your slide is relative to the bell! It isn't that hard... And then when you learn to listen while you are playing... You are golden!

IIRC (man been a few decades) 3rd and 4th positions were taught based on location of the end of the bell. 6th was justr about as far as us 4th graders could reach. :tongue: 2nd and 5th were relative to the lower and higher positions and 7th was a flick of the wrist from 6th.

Order taught was 1st, 3rd 6th, 4th/2nd then 5th/7th as I recall....

Edit: Tony posted while I was typing....

Holy crap my parents bought me my first trombone in the mid 60s and it cost $150.... Think my sister has it as she played it next. No varish but only repair was a new spit key that got snapped off in an accident.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well, in my case my 5th position turned into 2nd valve. and 6th position is 1st valve, 7th position is 1st valve,2nd position. Bass Bone ftw!

• Like 1