Mouthpiece Sizes

will92

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I was wondering if someone could help me, im looking to buy a mouthpiece, and im not sure what im looking for. What is the difference between say a 3c and a 7c? And what difference will it have on my playing?

The rim on the 3C is wider. As for the effect on your playing, that is more personal and I suggest you try it to see how it feels for your chops.

Probably about 0.1mm in the inner rim width. Which is a pretty noticeable difference at that size. At least for long term use / endurance.

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/media/bach/bachmouth.pdf

7C = 16.2mm inner rim width

3C = 16.3mm inner rim width

A smaller inner rim makes it easier to play higher, but can also make it harder to play lower. A larger inner rim makes it easier to play lower, but can also make it harder to play higher. But you do need to try them to see how they affect you. The inner rim width is only one of many specs that affects how a mouthpiece works (or doesn't work).

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get really technical about how different parameters of mouthpiece design affect your playing, the GR Mouthpieces web site is the best I've found. Look for the menu link for "Mouthpiece Tutorial" and go through each of the sub-menu topics. Just a warning - if you are not an experienced player or a technically minded person it may be a bit overwhelming.

Gene

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I was wondering if someone could help me, im looking to buy a mouthpiece, and im not sure what im looking for. What is the difference between say a 3c and a 7c? And what difference will it have on my playing?

As a professional symphony player, as well as a corps member, I have struggled with finding that "perfect piece". But the truth is, everyone has their own personal fit. But on a simpler level, a 7c has easy tone production and is usually what all players start on. A 3c is made for a more professional player. Its deeper, but you can express yourself a lot more, and your tone is generally darker.

Are you beginner? If so, go with a 7c

Most DCI trumpet techs are looking (some even require) for trumpet players who can play on a 3C. If you can afford one, a Flip Oakes Wild Thing # 3 is about as good of a 3c trumpet mouthpiece as there is. It is in my opinion just a little bit tougher to play on than a Bach 3c or a CKB 3c. The Flip Oakes # 3 will imho give you a deeper, richer, warmer sound than the Bach 3c. If the 3c is just too large for you to handle, try to see if you can get away with using a 5c or FOWT # 5. For lead trumpet players, the requirements of the horn book varies greatly from corps to corps. I have seen top 12 DCI wc corps who rarely if at all play above a g, and other DCI top 12 wc corps who have players who regularly play super c's. What trumpet mp leads can use will also vary from corps to corps, so by all means be sure to ASK your trumpet tech and brass cap head what you are allowed to play on before you make a potential $125.00 or more mistake. Some leads love mps like the Schilke 13a4a or 14a4a. Others like mps like a Bach 10 1/2 c or the Allen Vizzutti or Severinsen med cup jet tone mp. You really need to first ask to find out what you are allowed to play, and then thru trial and error find out what works best for you. Jim Ott once said that a good wall is the best brass teacher. Jim was talking about listening to yourself play. I highly recommend once you know what you are allowed to play that you use your corps horn to record yourself and listen to how each mouthpiece sounds. You will be asked to play a lot, for hours and hours at a time, almost all days on tour. Thus if you have a trumpet mp that is too large your endurance will be poor. Focus on comfort and tone. Beware of crappy cheater mouthpieces that will make your trumpet tech pull his hair out when he/she hears you play.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1