Marching French Horns

Piper

I was a guard girl way back when and a DM that respected the drum line. As a DM I got to hear the music full arc force, awesome! As a guard girl way back when, I got to rub elbows with some fine solo sops;-) The middle voices were the harmony including the FH. My tribute to The Horn!

The 1970's

1977-islington2.jpg

scan0001-a-1.jpg

1978-rehearsal1-d.jpg

Freelancers in the 1980's

dcw-3.jpg

hope this helps :smile: edit Mic Gillette was one of our drum corps horn techs 76-77 very very cool.

Edited by lindap

Last night on Jeopardy, the answer was "In marching band, the mellophone takes the place of this "national" instrument", to which the correct response was "What is the French horn?".

It was nice to see the word "mellophone" on tv.

Zig Kanstul made the mellophone and marching French horns what they are today!

Edited by kanstulbrass
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can anyone please explain to me why the Kanstul frenchies appear to have a deliberately designed stem bent upward near the mouthpeice? Is it unique to the Kanstul design or is there a specific reason for it?

Just curious.

This design was done by Marty Reese of the Santa Clara Vanguard for the reasons mentioned above. If you check out pictures of Horn players in action, you will see that the lead pipe points down. By bending the lead pipe, Marty made it so that his drum corps Horn players could use a more natural embouchure. I am playing one of these horns this year, and I must admit that (although weird), it is a much more natural playing position than tilting my head back.

Edited by randomnoise

This design was done by Marty Reese of the Santa Clara Vanguard for the reasons mentioned above. If you check out pictures of Horn players in action, you will see that the lead pipe points down. By bending the lead pipe, Marty made it so that his drum corps Horn players could use a more natural embouchure. I am playing one of these horns this year, and I must admit that (although weird), it is a much more natural playing position than tilting my head back.

Yup. Got one of those myself. Sitting in the attic now, since I'm playing sop again. I affectionately call it the "Santa Clara Kick". Chris, do you find your Kanstul frenchie a bit on the stuffy side?

I wouldn't mind having a bent lead pipe on my soprano, would save me having to tilt my head back. We have a couple guys in our line that won't tilt their heads and, instead, play to the ants.

Yup. Got one of those myself. Sitting in the attic now, since I'm playing sop again. I affectionately call it the "Santa Clara Kick". Chris, do you find your Kanstul frenchie a bit on the stuffy side?

No more so than any other G or Bb bell front horn. I am playing it in Renegades this year, doubling a Contra feature in the extreme low register. It's pretty loud. Folks are telling me I sound like a Bass Trombone!

Kanstul.jpg

Edited by randomnoise