What are the best corps to never make finals?

I think the record is held by the Boston Crusaders, however, who had 14 finishes in the Top 17 (including ten in a row, 1989-1998) before finally breaking through to the Top 12 in 1999. They haven't been out of finals since.

• Like 1

Blue Knights 1990

and

Freelancers 1990 should have made finals.

Yeah, and Dutch Boy '88 (and maybe '89), too. But it didn't happen. Down there in BubbleLand, someone's good fortune is invariably at someone else's expense. C'est la vie!

regards,

Fred O.

I believe the topic was Corps that never made finals and not a certain year that a finals making corps did not make finals.

That being cleared up my choices would be.

Defenders

Memphis Blues Brass Band

Alliance

The Academy

• Like 1

The topic is NEVER - no Madison, no Glassmen, no Crossmen...

I'll vote for Argonauts - I recall them from the 70s having some high quality shows...of course, I may be wrong, and some year in there they DID make finals...but I don't think so -

Yeah, and Dutch Boy '88 (and maybe '89), too. But it didn't happen. Down there in BubbleLand, someone's good fortune is invariably at someone else's expense. C'est la vie!

regards,

Fred O.

You know, I agree about Dutch Boy '88 and '89. Yeah, it's murder down there in bubble land when there are so many great corps in that area. worthy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

87 Wave (but I'm a little partial) - and we only had about 35 horns. It was incredibly difficult to recruit in S FL at that time.

83 Geneseo Knights was the biggest, let me put this nicely, "mess-up" I've ever sen in DCI. They should have been about 8th or 9th. Crossmen spent all summer dreaming that they could play Russlan and Ludmilla half as well. (Not a put down of Xmen, but Geneseo was that good. Their 12 mellos on the front sideline knocked it out!)

82 Suncoast was a hard pill to swallow too.

Gotta agree. That was a great show. I also preferred their version of R&L over Crossmen's.

• Like 2

Best that never made finals would have to be Geneseo.

The "Tough-Luck" Club: 13th place finishers

27th Lancers (1985)

27th Lancers (1986)

Florida Wave* (1987)

Dutch Boy (1988)

Dutch Boy (1989)

I marched 27th in 85/86, the 85 show was on the bubble but there's no way 86 wan't a top 12 show.

One of our guard members went to Dutch Boy after 27h folded. She marched 4 years with a 13th place finish.

• Like 2

I can't promise 100% accuracy, but as best I can figure...

Most Top 17 appearances without a Finals appearance

5 Southwind (1995, 1999-2001, 2005)

4 Capital Regiment (2002, 2004-2006)

3 The Academy (2007, 2009, 2010)

3 Kiwanis Kavaliers (1996-1998)

3 Les Eclipses (1984-1986)

3 Mandarins (2001, 2005, 2006)

3 Pacific Crest (2003, 2007, 2008)

2 Florida Wave (1987, 1988)

2 Geneseo Knights (1982, 1983)

2 Les Etoiles (1996, 1998)

2 Pioneer (1999, 2000)

2 Polish Falcon Cadets (1974, 1975)

2 Spectra-Heightsmen Alliance (1982, 1983)

2 Watkins Glen Squires (1975, 1976)

Top 17? Used to be Quarterfinals cut at top 25. Used to used to be you had to compete in prelims to make the top 40, then quarters for top 25, etc. Its only top 17 now because there are precious few corps left in existence.

There's a bunch of corps that would make your list if you included all corps that made it to a semi's performance but never a finals.

Even with the top 17 cutoff, missed a few:

Alliance placed 17th in 82 and 14th in 83, which was their last year.

Defenders were 18th in '80, 17th in '81, 20th in '82, which was their last year.

Someone mentioned North Star, but they made finals a few times, folded after the '82 season.

Its really shocking how many corps folded in New England from the late 70's to the early 80's.

Its really shocking how many corps folded in New England from the late 70's to the early 80's.

I agree, and it's interesting to note that BAC, who were walking wounded for three years, were the survivors. And it still took them a decade to get to Finals.

• 2 years later...

83 Geneseo Knights was the biggest, let me put this nicely, "mess-up" I've ever sen in DCI. They should have been about 8th or 9th. Crossmen spent all summer dreaming that they could play Russlan and Ludmilla half as well. (Not a put down of Xmen, but Geneseo was that good. Their 12 mellos on the front sideline knocked it out!)

I'm sorry to have resurrected this old thread in the middle of the season, but considering I only learned of Bob Snow's all-too-tragic death this morning, I've been scouring the web in search of ANY video of that wonderful, albeit disappointing year.

Alas, 'tis not to be. However, I did run across the Knights' website, which contains just about every show available, including '83.

My God, I don't know whose Corn Flakes the Knights tapped their collective spleens in, but that was, without a doubt, one of the most egregious hose jobs in DCI's long history of egregious hose jobs.

TEN contras!!!!!! :worthy:/>

PS - If anyone has footage of that show, I would be most appreciative. :thumbup:/>

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 1