3. The pit

Worst:

1. Longer tours

2. Increased drill demand

3. The pit

Wow! That's "deep."I don't know if I can grasp it. :blink:

• Like 1

Then you have an idea what the rest of us are thinking in trying to figure out why someone's responding to a thread that has been dead for 29 months. :tongue:

• Like 1

Now that the dead has risen anyway (where'd I put that wooden stake?"), I think the Best side referred to the perspective of the fan, the Worst meant from the perspective of the marching member. So he wasn't trying to be as deep as it looked like he was trying to be.

Now that the dead has risen anyway (where'd I put that wooden stake?"), I think the Best side referred to the perspective of the fan, the Worst meant from the perspective of the marching member. So he wasn't trying to be as deep as it looked like he was trying to be.

Thanks for the explanation, although I don't see why the pit would be a bad thing for the performers. I think most pit performers appreciate not having to lug timps around the field. As for dead topics and the various replies to this one, why not just autolock them after a predetermined time? That's a common practice in forums concerned about keeping the topics fresh. The fact that the topic was still open to replies suggested to me that DCP was a forum that wasn't concerned about the age of a topic, and that members are welcome to post on whatever topic they desire, regardless of its age. I think such a policy has more benefits than deficits, especially in an activity like Drum Corps. I would think that members perusing the various topics and responding, even to old ones, would still be welcome. Instead of an "awww, man, that topic is so old and now it's back at the top" attitude, how about a "it doesn't matter the age of the topic, we're just happy people are engaged and responding on our forum" attitude. Nevertheless, I'm happy to be here, and will be more mindful of the age of the topics in the future.

Edited by onfirepro
  • Like 1

It's the off-season, onfirepro, don't let these knuckleheads here confuse you - they love a good drum corps discussion as much as you or the next drum corps fan. It doesn't matter if it's new or old. We'll argue points that were presumed dead long ago. Like amps, or 150 members. Post away on any subject you might find, but be prepared for some thoughtful answers because who's mostly left here this time of year is the group that's well-versed in most drum corps topics. Don't shrink away from a position and don't be a troll because you're liable to get some push-back from this group.

Welcome aboard!

Edited by garfield

I don't see why the pit would be a bad thing for the performers. I think most pit performers appreciate not having to lug timps around the field.

My feelings about the pit are very mixed. What is a drum corps? I would say drum corps is, or ought to be, a marching acoustic brass and percussion ensemble. The pit doesn't march. And for the past ten years, it hasn't been acoustic either. What's more, for the past five years, strings and woodwinds have been permitted--just in the form of electronic instruments. But my sentiment comes from an audience perspective. As for the performer's perspective (and I'm not sure that's what audiodb intended), one answer could be: if you don't want to have to carry tympani around, don't use them. One concern some people have expressed of late is that something similar may be happening with the tubas: will they be replaced by synthesizer?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

The pit doesn't march. And for the past ten years, it hasn't been acoustic either.

I agree 100%. Setting aside the debate about the existence of the pit, I think the pit instruments weren't out of balance at all before they were allowed to be amplified. It seems the other way around; the pit can now sometimes be out of balance with the ensemble

But my sentiment comes from an audience perspective. As for the performer's perspective (and I'm not sure that's what audiodb intended), one answer could be: if you don't want to have to carry tympani around, don't use them. One concern some people have expressed of late is that something similar may be happening with the tubas: will they be replaced by synthesizer?

I personally don't mind having a pit, but I respect the traditional view of marching corps you suggest, and it would also be a joy to watch the corps stick to only marching, and only acoustically amplified instruments . The very existence of the pit, while innocuous in an of itself, may have helped push corps down a slippery slope. While I enjoy the sonic textures added by pit instruments (such as timps and tubular bells in classically based programs), I also think the percussion battery, cymbals, and marching glock and mallets can provide all the needed texture for a well rounded percussion section.

The slippery slope looks something like this to me: Once you have a stationary pit, then why not amplify it? And if you already have those mics and speakers, why not add some more and mic up the drum kit too? And while were at it, let's use one of those mics and add a narrator or singer? And hey, that mixing board and speakers can also accept line level inputs like synths, so can we add those too? Oh, and since we have these mics, why not set one up where soloists can walk up to it and wail away? And so on.....

We all have our favorite periods in DCI. Mine is the late eighties and early nineties: The pit existed, but wasn't amplified. Music and marching were at an equilibrium of priority in my view, and G bugles were still in use. Singing was used sparingly and with good effect, but not as soloists and the corps had to work at singing well without mics. Props were used less and with better effect, and there wasn't as much of a reliance on gimmickry.

Edited by onfirepro
  • Like 2

Thanks for the explanation, although I don't see why the pit would be a bad thing for the performers. I think most pit performers appreciate not having to lug timps around the field. As for dead topics and the various replies to this one, why not just autolock them after a predetermined time? That's a common practice in forums concerned about keeping the topics fresh. The fact that the topic was still open to replies suggested to me that DCP was a forum that wasn't concerned about the age of a topic, and that members are welcome to post on whatever topic they desire, regardless of its age. I think such a policy has more benefits than deficits, especially in an activity like Drum Corps. I would think that members perusing the various topics and responding, even to old ones, would still be welcome. Instead of an "awww, man, that topic is so old and now it's back at the top" attitude, how about a "it doesn't matter the age of the topic, we're just happy people are engaged and responding on our forum" attitude. Nevertheless, I'm happy to be here, and will be more mindful of the age of the topics in the future.

Honestly - it's really only a few folks who mind old topics being replied to. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

• Like 1