Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

Yeah -- it's not an arbitrary haze-the-newbie issue. Forum netiquette is based on decades of forum use (going all the way to back the BBS days and 1200 baud modems :-)

The need for forum netiquette is self evident on the whole, and I'm sure that most users are happy to follow the rules of any forum they're on, including me, but it seems that the reasons given against necroposting, such as annoyance and confusion, are overstated. Because someone gets irritated doesn't necessarily mean something legitimately made them irritated. I don't care how entrenched in a forum's ideals I am, or whether I'm a veteran or a rookie, I don't think I can ever bring myself to make an issue of someone else's necroposting, or even be concerned about it enough for it to bother me one way or the other. If that happens, it's a sign I'm taking the forum and it's rules too seriously to the detriment of my casual enjoyment of our common interests. The ironic thing is, I checked the forum guidelines before I began posting, and there's nothing about it. In any case,even this old discussion has generated some interesting and enlightening points.

Edited by onfirepro
  • Like 2

3 Best Changes are:

1. Addition of Food Trucks to the Corps.

2. The grounding of the Mallet instruments.

3. The move to 2 valve bugles from Piston rotor. Better ergonomics.

3 worst Changes are:

1. The expanding of the pit. There should be a box for the pit and if it doesn't fit you don't get to use it.

2. Addition of Electronics.

3. The move past 3 valve bugles to multi key. The punch has been taken out of Junior Drum Corps.

Edited by Kansan

My favorite 3:

Synthesizers. This was the best change to come to DCI in my opinion. Kind of iffy the first season but it didn't take long for corps to get these right. I love it.

Non-moving pits. So much more these musicians can do now. They add so much more now that they don't have to move especially with amplification. They create such beautiful sounds now! Also allowed Synth and drum set to be a part of drum corps, and I am a huge fan of those too.

Bb horns. They sound so much better. No question about it.

Edited by HiddenMonster
  • Like 3

My favorite 3:

Synthesizers. This was the best change to come to DCI in my opinion. Kind of iffy the first season but it didn't take long for corps to get these right. I love it.

Non-moving pits. So much more these musicians can do now. They add so much more now that they don't have to move especially with amplification. They create such beautiful sounds now! Also allowed Synth and drum set to be a part of drum corps, and I am a huge fan of those too.

Such a beautiful and rare sight to see "best" and "love" in the context of synthesizers on DCP!

• Like 2

My favorite 3:

What I hate about Synthesizers is they tend to be used to augment the Tubas. What happens is the Tubas get covered up and renders them useless as well as wasting the time and effort the Tuba players put into the show.

Non moving pits makes sense especially for the health of the players backs.

Bb Horns? They can be beat by a G hornline of the same talent level any day of the week.

• Like 3

This thread just gained some life. Who's first?

same old, same old.

different day, different thread but the same old mutterings here at DCP Adult Day Care.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 3

Such a beautiful and rare sight to see "best" and "love" in the context of synthesizers on DCP!

I love the fact that Hidden Monster's post got 1 red neg for simply supporting the current state of affairs in DCI. Someone found that offensive.

And you got 2 red negs for expressing approval (not even technically agreement) of his post.