Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

I was rereading the long debate about amplification in the second half of this thread, and it seems that underlying the arguments made in favor of amplification is the idea that it ought to be possible to hear all instruments clearly at all times. If the arranger wants one tuba on the back sidelines to be heard over the rest of the corps, the solution apparently is not to have the rest of the ensemble play softer and move the tuba forward, but to amplify the tuba.

That notion undermines the entire concept of drum corps, in my opinion.

• Like 2

I was rereading the long debate about amplification in the second half of this thread, and it seems that underlying the arguments made in favor of amplification is the idea that it ought to be possible to hear all instruments clearly at all times. If the arranger wants one tuba on the back sidelines to be heard over the rest of the corps, the solution apparently is not to have the rest of the ensemble play softer and move the tuba forward, but to amplify the tuba.

That notion undermines the entire concept of drum corps, in my opinion.

Exactly. Dynamics is the key. Working through balance issues using positioning, dynamics, and musical skill has yielded some of the most creative and effective musical moments in DCI history. I would add that the argument for hearing all instruments at all times is a musical fallacy (I realize your not making that argument, but are summarizing the arguments of others) :smile: Nevertheless, one of the worst mistakes that can be made in large ensemble arranging is for all instruments to be heard at all times,(aside from very few exceptions where it's for momentary effect). From classical orchestras to parade and military bands and virtually any other large ensemble including drum corps, the most musically satisfying arrangements are those where each section yields sonic territory to other instruments at different times throughout the piece. Otherwise it becomes overload. One of the main differences I hear between modern and classic drum corps isn't only about synths and narration, it's about a lack of perceived balance due to amplifiers, musical selection, and arrangement methods.

Edited by onfirepro

I love the fact that Hidden Monster's post got 1 red neg for simply supporting the current state of affairs in DCI. Someone found that offensive.

And you got 2 red negs for expressing approval (not even technically agreement) of his post.

Yeah, maybe it's because I am a current marching member but I think synthesizers are awesome! Backing the tubas is kind of lame but I hardly notice it except for major impact points. Nothing beats a nice tuba section, and I think the majority of corps are learning how to use synth sparingly.

ph34r.gif I think the Blue Devils drum break, and their use of electronics was one of the coolest things on the field this year. ph34r.gif

Edited by HiddenMonster
  • Like 1

One change nobody seems to have mentioned: performances seem to have gotten shorter in 1986, apparently going from a maximum length of 13 minutes to a maximum length of 11 minutes 30 seconds. (Do I have that right?) Was that a positive or negative change? Does anyone know what the reason for that change was?

I love the fact that Hidden Monster's post got 1 red neg for simply supporting the current state of affairs in DCI. Someone found that offensive.

And you got 2 red negs for expressing approval (not even technically agreement) of his post.

Yes it makes you wonder what kind of Planet were actually on here...

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe it's because I am a current marching member but I think synthesizers are awesome! Backing the tubas is kind of lame but I hardly notice it except for major impact points. Nothing beats a nice tuba section, and I think the majority of corps are learning how to use synth sparingly.

ph34r.gif I think the Blue Devils drum break, and their use of electronics was one of the coolest things on the field this year. ph34r.gif

I am far from a current MM (marched 64-72), and I 1000% agree with you. I love the sound of modern drum corps. Yes...just as in any era, one or another voice can be too loud or too soft at times, but those are balance issues in that particular spot, not the mere presence of a particular voice. In general, the corps get it right.

IMO, of course.

• Like 2

Best:

#1 - The Pit. I used to really feel for those guys n gals carrying those super heavy instruments.

#2 - The Fan Network. Streaming is better than nothing.

#3 - The use of computers to design more impressive drill.

Worst:

#1 - This is easy. The groups of today are NOT drum and bugle corps. Going to B-flat was a horrible move that still makes me shake my head to this day. Are they awesome bands? You bet and they play and march better than I ever did. Still... not drum and bugle corps. Awesome bands.

#2 - Amplification. Again shaking my head. It's absurd.

#3 - Electronic instrumentation. Hey you folks play them awesomely but it belongs no where in Drum corps.

#4 - I couldn't leave this out. Vocals. Singing... narration.. all of it. Doesn't belong in my opinion.

One change nobody seems to have mentioned: performances seem to have gotten shorter in 1986, apparently going from a maximum length of 13 minutes to a maximum length of 11 minutes 30 seconds. (Do I have that right?) Was that a positive or negative change? Does anyone know what the reason for that change was?

IIRC, the snipping of the show length had to do with how many corps would the TV program fit when championships were televised and could we get more corps on TV. Of course, the thirteen minutes was a maximum number with most DCI world class corsp spending less time before the judge's analysis for better scores and less tick-ability even after subjective judging was acknowledged.

Ehh, need a quick break so off the top of my head.... in no order

Best:

- Took a while for me to accept but grounding tymps & marching bells to open up drill. IOW no more elevator drills up and down the 50 for the perc.

- Fan Network, DVDs with more than one camera, selling Legacy shows on DVD, etc

- Allowing more open drill design to go asymentric, no start/finish lines

Worst

- Over use of pit. Just because you have x yards of pit area doesn't mean you have to fill it. Costs are killing corps and this is a cost for perc, truck to haul, garden tractor to pull the pit, truck space for tractor, etc, etc

- Eletronics.. OK I enjoy the sound of horns/perc and anything else is like static while you're trying to listen to music

- Way Amps are used... does the score reflect amp use? should the score reflect amp use? If the amps are directed for the judges, does that mean the people outside the 40 yeard line can pound sand since they don't hear the amps "right" or at all?

Bb?... can understand the $$$$ reasons for going to this, so no argument. Just a shame that it didn't help out newer corps as well as hoped.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1