SHOW HYPE!

Walking in twos making crowds part like the Red Sea... no matter what the surroundings (once a large drum line audience moved onto a highway access road because we were using the sidewalk).

THAT is a hype.

• Like 3

Wow, 30+ year memory just kicked in. First show in college MB we got told to prepare and some of the people were just screaming like nutcases and half jumping around. I'm just standing there and one clown gets in my face about "not getting ready". Before I can response another MB member who did DCI jumped the clown: "Look <bleep> while you were <obscene reference> all summer, we were COMPETING. So we KNOW what we're doing so just bounce away Skippy".

What jackass takes COLLEGE marching band THAT serious?

• Like 1

What jackass takes COLLEGE marching band THAT serious?

LOL, freshman "away from mommy and daddy for the first time" (think that phrase was thrown around at another time). Oh yeah... it was a freakin' halftime show at a state school (few thousand in attendance)...

Our section (trombone) leader had spent a hitch in the military and had about 12-16 trombones in the band of which about half were freshmen. Guy was a bit hard ###ed to begin with and would come up to us one by one to check that we were prepared. One time he walked up to me to check, started to open his mouth and just stopped.... finally he said "Forget it, I don't have to worry about you corps guys".

Looking back it was a study in contrasts, the DCI guy (Findleyville Royal Crusaders) would be cracking jokes and telling stories before we'd go on and I'd just stand there quiet and give one word answers.

Section leader: "Jim are you ready for the show"

Me: "Yep"

Section leader: "..... and....."

Me: "That's about it. At least there aren't any judges"

• Like 3

hype cd on the bus that would change periodically. And the front of the bus would ALWAYS mess up what we wanted to hear, lol. Flying the Horn flag. Off the bus, all focus.

Biggest hype is walking in twos like someone said above. The seas do part. And it doesn't matter what corps you are, if your whole line carries itself a certain way it's very powerful. I feel like only a handful of corps have this power anymore.

My personal hype before the bus hype would start would be polishing my horn. Since I was on scaffolding crew I never had time to polish my horn after rehearsal... and of course I had the worst looking horn. I had really acidic sweat or something... and I would always sweat through my gloves. My horn always looked like a MESS after rehearsal. Good thing we always had a long ### drive to shows because of DCI's backwards housing site assigning. But it was sort of a personal focus thing to just work on my horn.

My personal hype before the bus hype would start would be polishing my horn. Since I was on scaffolding crew I never had time to polish my horn after rehearsal... and of course I had the worst looking horn. I had really acidic sweat or something... and I would always sweat through my gloves. My horn always looked like a MESS after rehearsal. Good thing we always had a long ### drive to shows because of DCI's backwards housing site assigning. But it was sort of a personal focus thing to just work on my horn.

story of my life right there^.

breaking peoples' hands at vis warmup. incense at vis warmup. yelling the corps name at the gate.

post-show hype: section twos, hyping the super straight leg. pretty cool to see eight dudes looking like they're gonna run you over even after the show.

• Like 1

Mooning through the bus windows at a passing corps who were using more "traditional" methods to hype themselves up.

I was in the pit, we had a lot of time on our hands...

I had my own playlist of hype music that I've been using since I started marching in HS. It's laughable what's on it but it works for me! We had bus-hype on Twit (Stadium lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and for me, visual warm-up is the BIGGEST hype in drum corps. I think I loved visual warm-up more than nearly anything else about performing in a drum corps. Is that weird?

• Like 1

Pretty much every part of the lot hypes me up. It's almost surreal. I hear the boom of the batteries, see the stadium lights, realize I'm about to go out into the open air in front of thousands of people watching my every move and it gives me this fire inside my chest that makes me want to scream a battle cry. It was great in Impulse last year when we were on the field right after our onfield warmup and we all gathered around our vis tech and were just able to let it out. I then became serene, confident and focused- less prone to mistakes because most of the excited tension was out.

Before, in high school, it was the same thing. We would play our onfield warmup, Ave Maria, which generated a lot of sentimental feelings that only music can, and knowing the audience was hearing this and the thought that they were getting excited and felt like I was feeling just gave me the biggest goosebumps and I felt like my presence could just fill the stadium along with my fellow marching unit members. The feeling of being of one accord with my section and my band and the audience as a group reacting to our presence as a group (which also made me feel proud as an individual also) just kept me going. It made me feel important as an individual and made me feel like what I was doing was important which made me want to excel and be the most bad### I could be because it taught me by osmosis that, as the song lyrics go, "

."

That mixture of being in front of a large crowd but with a lot of other people whom I was bonded with didn't so much cancel each other out as much as they created this rush.

Then we performed.....

Edited by Impuls!vebari

Crown Horn Bus singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" worked like a charm every show!