Best Drum Corps Screamer Shows

Ah yes, how could I forget Floyd Tank. As well as being an awesome player he is the owner of the biggest collection of Corvettes!

Yes, 17 if I remember correctly? Also, isn't he related to Lou Diamond Phillips?

Edited by madalumni

I could go the rest of my life without hearing that 4th place show. Loved the music. Hated the execution.

You hated the execution, huh? That's funny, the paid professionals of whom judged that show had them tied for first place with Star! I think

I would trust them over you. After all, they are professionals.

AWesome!!!!!

Wow...you don't like the 93 Devs but you like 83 Madison? That's interesting. Here's another statistical fact for you: We mentioned 93 Devs hornline being tied for first. Are you aware that Madison was 8th in horns in 83, which is lower than their overall placement? Not only that, but Madison stood still while playing Strawberry Soup in 83. I could only imagine what the Devs would sound like playing Strawberry Soup standing still. Oh wait! I don't have to imagine! All I have to do is look on YouTube for victory performances with the Devs standing still!

Anyway, let's look at this again:

Blue Devils 1993 Brass - 1st (tied)

Madison Scouts 1983 Brass - 8th

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna trust the professional judges. They've been trained and know what they're doing.

To keep it real, this is in NO way a slam on the 83 Scouts. That is one of my favorite shows!

Wow...you don't like the 93 Devs but you like 83 Madison? That's interesting. Here's another statistical fact for you: We mentioned 93 Devs hornline being tied for first. Are you aware that Madison was 8th in horns in 83, which is lower than their overall placement? Not only that, but Madison stood still while playing Strawberry Soup in 83. I could only imagine what the Devs would sound like playing Strawberry Soup standing still. Oh wait! I don't have to imagine! All I have to do is look on YouTube for victory performances with the Devs standing still!

Anyway, let's look at this again:

Blue Devils 1993 Brass - 1st (tied)

Madison Scouts 1983 Brass - 8th

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna trust the professional judges. They've been trained and know what they're doing.

To keep it real, this is in NO way a slam on the 83 Scouts. That is one of my favorite shows!

When I first read Camel Lips' post, my first reaction (mainly because I know him) was.

:lol:

Now that I have gathered my composure....

I wish there was a recording out there of our semifinals performance (i.e., BD 93). It was our best performance of the year. Finals with all of the rain, delays from warm up to peformance (due to the weather) put us at a serious disadvantage and as a result, we did not have our strongest performance. Finals really did not do that show or that corps justice. Yeah, we placed higher in finals but truth be told, we didn't tie Star in brass in semis - we topped them (by just a one tenth microfraction). Quite an accomplishment considering how legendary the Star 93 hornline is (and deservingly so).

One thing I'd like to point out (and I know this isn't screamer related but knowing Camel Lips and how much he likes jazz, he may appreciate this). If you listen to the swing section in our performance of Strawberry Soup (In particular the 8 piece ensemble in relation to the contras), you will notice (even in finals) how HARD we swung that section of the tune. That was a Dave Carico achievement. Something for which he stressed with us all year. That section was supposed to "swing", and he (and we) got it to do just that. Something for which you rarely hear "executed" in it's true definition on a drum corps field (even if I say so myself). For one, it's extremely difficult to do on the field due to staging. Secondly, it takes such dead on accurate timming and accuracy just to get an outdoor ensemble to play in time, the thought of getting it to lay back behind the bass voice and the percussion with swing articulations is so backwards from how we approach rhythmic accuracy in drum corps - most don't dare even try.

Ok, my turn to get this back on topic and share who influenced me as a lead sop in this activity.

Jerry Noonan - North Star 1980

Al Chez - Cadets 1980

John Meehan Blue Devils 1988-1989

Honorable mention goes to Jarrod Smeyers who played the faked sop solo (done by Al Chez) also known as "Jr." in the Cadets 1980 show. As one who started marching drum corps at age 14 (and at first didn't know he was faking it), he really inspired me to build my chops at a very young age.

Scott

(One of the 93 BD screamers)

P.S. Please forgive any typos. I am posting from my old school blackberry with small buttons. Kind of a pain.

Edited by torn8o

Correction....I've heard higher notes in DCI competition. Like this one....

BbTrpt1, on 29 March 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

If you are talking only about high notes:

In '89 Florida Wave during the soprano duet in the opener, Carlos clearly pastes an A above Double C on the soprano bugle, which is E concert and would be the F# above Double C on a trumpet.

Now if you are talking about high notes that sound good, well........... um.............. not sure if that one will qualify, lol.

IIRC, he got that note in quarterfinals, but not semifinals (from which the LP was made).

The 1989 Florida Wave DCI recording is from Quarterfinals, because we didn't make Semifinals in 1989 (18th place the first year it went to Top 17 - there is a nice trivia question for you)

So I guess we are both correct, lol......

Edited by BbTrpt1

I stumbled across some Jim Brady Bridgemen work...

go to the site that shall not be named, enter:

Jim Brady Bridemen solos

it's likely to be the 3rd choice down the list (the one posted by 'gmann')

wow wow wow - what a talent -

The 1989 Florida Wave DCI recording is from Quarterfinals, because we didn't make Semifinals in 1989 (18th place the first year it went to Top 17 - there is a nice trivia question for you)

So I guess we are both correct, lol......

Yeah, I should know better than to trust my memory from 22 years ago. :blush:

Anyhow, y'all should check out the '89 Wave recording, as that was one of the occasions where that dog-whistle note came through.