Onyx

Join the club. I have no idea what they are "TRYING" to do. I thought their show last year was weird but eventually I grew to appreciate it and then LOVED it. I still think they should have come in 2nd to SCV but it was a wonderful show. This year, I absolutely HATE their show, and I rarely use the term hate. Also there are TOO MANY people on the floor. It's a jumbled mess in my opinion.

• Like 1

Join the club. I have no idea what they are "TRYING" to do. I thought their show last year was weird but eventually I grew to appreciate it and then LOVED it. I still think they should have come in 2nd to SCV but it was a wonderful show. This year, I absolutely HATE their show, and I rarely use the term hate. Also there are TOO MANY people on the floor. It's a jumbled mess in my opinion.

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell ya what it's supposed to be about but many designers make something up even after it's done stick a theme on it and because so and so said it people buy into it. EVEN JUDGES :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's about the construction and deconstruction of art.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people might not understand the top three shows ... it's just performing art ... I don't get SAC, SCV or ONYX's show .. but they are all very intriguing ... are they entertaining? did they present excellence in equipment? did they move you? was it memorable? I think this year, SCV, SAC & Onyx answer 'yes' to those questions. They are very distinct and stand out from the rest of the crowd. Are they fan-favorites? Not sure... but they will leave a lasting impression.

Onyx has some talented members who might read this post and feel disappointed and hurt to read that someone "hates" their show.

• Like 4

You can dislike , concept, uniform etc etc , without hating a guard or talent. Show concepts aren't a members choice BUT I'm sure many felt slighted when they were getting all the compliments last year. Its all part of the game and understanding and growing up. It's a competitive thing we do and when you put that lable on it it becomes open game. Everyone IS entitiled to an opinion and as long as it doesn't get nasty a forum or review is Ok and people can and should be able to express....DCP has alot of it. Not everyone will like something or another and remember it's only 5 peoples opinion whos in or out or medals or not. Personally, I think as much as we say it's not just about medals and scores that's not true at all with most, ( which is sad ) 5 people should never decide value or not.

• Like 1

i believe one of the responsibilities of world class is to push the activity and move it forward by introducing new ideas and concepts and i don't believe anyone can deny that Onyx is doing just that. Although not everyone's cup of tea, no one can deny the talent they have. I personally have no idea what the show is but you know... maybe it's nothing? Is that a bad thing? Maybe it's simply a mesmerizing show that can be whatever it is that you want. There are many shows that (in my opinion) are boring as all heck... BUT i would never deny them the talent that they have - i'm jealous as ..... that guard is so much more advanced than when i marched many years ago.

Best of luck at WGI Onyx!

(it wasn't all that long ago that 'guard is becoming too dance oriented' - true statement) moving the activity forward

• Like 3

i believe one of the responsibilities of world class is to push the activity and move it forward by introducing new ideas and concepts and i don't believe anyone can deny that Onyx is doing just that. Although not everyone's cup of tea, no one can deny the talent they have. I personally have no idea what the show is but you know... maybe it's nothing? Is that a bad thing? Maybe it's simply a mesmerizing show that can be whatever it is that you want. There are many shows that (in my opinion) are boring as all heck... BUT i would never deny them the talent that they have - i'm jealous as ..... that guard is so much more advanced than when i marched many years ago.

(it wasn't all that long ago that 'guard is becoming too dance oriented' - true statement) moving the activity forward

I agree, but I would like some color guard....(i,e flags, saber, rifle) I think the problem people are having with this show (at least for me) is its lack of work. There is too much movement, too much drill, not nearly enough work. I dont see much saber, or flag, and very little rifle. there are like 10-15 people spinning the whole show and the rest running around. I wonder what the show would look like it everyone had a piece of equipment in their hands and they were spinning together at some point

I know a lot of people might not understand the top three shows ... it's just performing art ... I don't get SAC, SCV or ONYX's show .. but they are all very intriguing ... are they entertaining? did they present excellence in equipment? did they move you? was it memorable? I think this year, SCV, SAC & Onyx answer 'yes' to those questions. They are very distinct and stand out from the rest of the crowd. Are they fan-favorites? Not sure... but they will leave a lasting impression.

Onyx has some talented members who might read this post and feel disappointed and hurt to read that someone "hates" their show.

Top 3 after this weekend's regionals are Onyx SCV and Braddock.

You are so right about what world class is supposed to be BUT sometimes bad is just bad also. Just because it is winning ( not talking about Onyx , just in general )doesn't mean it was good at all.Just means 5 people and their friends decided it's what we should think is good........

Good luck to all !!!!!!

• Like 1