Onyx

Sure they arent really using music like we are used to. And there are a lot of people on the floor and it kinda looks like a frantic mess, but im pretty sure thats the idea. Every show I have been to it seem like no one is clapping or screaming during the middle of it and then as soon as the show is over it takes like 5 seconds for people to comprehend what they just watched and then the people in the stands go crazy! Last show i was at someone from another group sitting below me looked over to the person to her right and said "what the heck was that?" and the other person said "Im not sure but it was awesome!" It is very different, but its not a bad different to me.

• Like 2

I am absolutely glad that there are different kinds shows out there as not everyone likes the same kind of show or music etc. But I just feel like the Onyx show tries just to hard to be different, just to be different and some of our judges like to feel they are helping push the activity in new directions by rewarding it just because of this.

But the fact is, like the show or not, there are a handful of performers doing all the work in the show and many others just running around that barely ever even touch a piece of equipment. This is no different than backdrops to hide your weak and under utilized people. Sort of like being on a really good soccer team but spending the game on the bench......not good for developement of players.....and I do not like to see this in guard and certainly in world class. This is not the training class.

I do not like the show, but mostly just hate to see a show rewarded that spends so very little time with members actually spinning. Groups around the country copy these top WGI shows......I mean, every time Corona's Michael Shapiro invents a new trick the next year half the guards in the country are trying to do it.....I dont want to see guards putting down their equipment and running around aimlessly all of next year!

I am absolutely glad that there are different kinds shows out there as not everyone likes the same kind of show or music etc. But I just feel like the Onyx show tries just to hard to be different, just to be different and some of our judges like to feel they are helping push the activity in new directions by rewarding it just because of this.

But the fact is, like the show or not, there are a handful of performers doing all the work in the show and many others just running around that barely ever even touch a piece of equipment. This is no different than backdrops to hide your weak and under utilized people. Sort of like being on a really good soccer team but spending the game on the bench......not good for developement of players.....and I do not like to see this in guard and certainly in world class. This is not the training class.

I do not like the show, but mostly just hate to see a show rewarded that spends so very little time with members actually spinning. Groups around the country copy these top WGI shows......I mean, every time Corona's Michael Shapiro invents a new trick the next year half the guards in the country are trying to do it.....I dont want to see guards putting down their equipment and running around aimlessly all of next year!

I've seen the show twice in person, and I didn't see anyone just "running around". They were dancing. Why do you think that these members aren't being utilized for their talents? They are just as important to the whole design of the show as those who are spinning equipment. Its called a dance line. Every world class guard has one. :) Movement is a part of the whole score, just like equipment. Onyx is very talented this year movement wise, why not capitolize on it? They seem to be just as good at spinning as well. And the equipment book looks impossibly difficult and yet they do it perfectly! Im not saying I like the show, but I know a top notch guard when I see one, and Onyx is top notch.

• Like 3

Let it be said that I am NOT bashing the kids nor saying they are untalented. It is MORE than obvious that they are extremely talented. What I am saying is that different isn't always good nor is it necessarily an advancement of the activity. That is the fault of the design team not the members. I applaud any kid/young adult who get's out on that floor and does their thing to the best of their ability. I just do NOT like this show and don't care to ever see it again.

I am more impressed by how South Shore has progressed in the last year than I am by Onyx.

• Like 1

You are so right about what world class is supposed to be BUT sometimes bad is just bad also. Just because it is winning ( not talking about Onyx , just in general )doesn't mean it was good at all.Just means 5 people and their friends decided it's what we should think is good........

Good luck to all !!!!!!

Naw, it just means that the 5 people and their friends decided that the production is meeting the criteria of the sheets at a higher level than other productions.

• Like 3

I am not surprised to read all the strong opinions on the Onyx show, but I am very surprised at the vitriolic commets coming from some of the posters on this board. Whether you like the show or not, I find it hard to imagine that this show motivated you to the emotion of hate. If you get that worked up over a colorguard show perhaps you should seek medical attention and get an anti-anxiety pill. I hear Paxil works wonders. The show is very different indeed, but I do not see people running around. I see highly skilled performers dancing. I also find it odd that for years we were begging designers for different and unique programs. Then when we get something truly different we bash it. I guess that is how things go in the artistic world, lest we forget the riot " the rite of spring" incited. I also think it is intriguing that people seem to react to the show as if it has personally offended them. I wonder if JMR would be so critical of the show if their child were marching with Onyx instead of Corona?...I am looking forward to seeing all shows in Dayton...and mildly hoping for a riot.

Mamaw-

• Like 4

Maybe those who are upset about Onyx's show are doing exactly what Onyx wants them to do? They are buying into the concept, even if they don't realize it or want to acknowledge it.

What makes art 'good' or 'bad'?

<h1></h1>

I am not surprised to read all the strong opinions on the Onyx show, but I am very surprised at the vitriolic commets coming from some of the posters on this board. Whether you like the show or not, I find it hard to imagine that this show motivated you to the emotion of hate. If you get that worked up over a colorguard show perhaps you should seek medical attention and get an anti-anxiety pill. I hear Paxil works wonders. The show is very different indeed, but I do not see people running around. I see highly skilled performers dancing. I also find it odd that for years we were begging designers for different and unique programs. Then when we get something truly different we bash it. I guess that is how things go in the artistic world, lest we forget the riot " the rite of spring" incited. I also think it is intriguing that people seem to react to the show as if it has personally offended them. I wonder if JMR would be so critical of the show if their child were marching with Onyx instead of Corona?...I am looking forward to seeing all shows in Dayton...and mildly hoping for a riot.

Mamaw-

Actually maybe this is a good place to discuss what an audiance likes or dislikes after all like on DCP many who pay and support the activity want their voice heard to designers.

With that said, I also remember many changes in the activity that weren't readidly accepted and now a part of the fiber but I think a big question is if po-dunk High School did a show like this would it be accepted? The answer most likley would be NO. Judges would talk about bad focus, bad transition, no musicality, to much individual moments and no weight sharing.

As far as if JMR would feel the same if their child was in a group critized , I'm sure people want to support their child and righfully so BUT this is an expensive activity, a show, a judged show, especially in IW critics will always be there. These IW members are not little children at a dance recital, most are adults and although no one wants to be critized, welcome to the real world,arent young sport figures critized, dancers, etc etc. YES, does any of us like it? NO, . Parents will always be protective,

( or should be ) but we aren't sitting around the camp fire here singing koombyah ( how ever you spell that )...lol............Good Luck to all the guards and as I said before some of the best wont be in finals nor medal contention. :smile: