Onyx

"They will attempt to destroy anything that differs from their concepts. Not being able to create art, they will not understand art." -Onyx 2011

At Onyx, our intent is to create something new using tools from the past in combination with tools of the future and from other idioms. Certainly we anticipated and welcome discussion, controversy and strong opinions both for and against this direction. We do appreciate your participation.

For sure, the negative comments usually make DCP more interesting and therefore are expected on this forum. It is sad though, in an activity struggling for support from the outside that we attack one another with such hateful comments. It is even more disheartening when the attackers are directors/parents/performers.

Michael Lentz

Onyx

• Like 4

DOUG...WHERE ARE YOU ?....WE NEED YA,,HEHEHEHE :worthy:

thanks alot but no thanks! :shutup:

• Like 1

If you don't have anything nice to say...post it annonomously on the internet! :w00t: LOL I have to say that I do not care for Onyx this year or last. I am a equal opportunity color guard lover. I have many favorite shows that vary in type every year and I think Onyx is taking the sport of the arts in the wrong direction. Sorry Mike no direct offense intended...I just can't see the point of your show. I guess that makes me one of the people that doesn't understand art. I can't get over the fact that at almost NO time during the show is there anything being performed by more than a couple members. It all seems so random. I will say that Mike is a genious in that fact that OF COURSE the judges are going to reward the show because they don't want to admit that they just don't get it!

• Like 1

...I can't get over the fact that at almost NO time during the show is there anything being performed by more than a couple members. It all seems so random. I will say that Mike is a genious in that fact that OF COURSE the judges are going to reward the show because they don't want to admit that they just don't get it!

I think that is what you are missing. At pretty much every point in that show, it IS being performed by every member - full out. It's just that there are MANY layers that took an incredible amount of time to coordinate into a cohesive program. If it were "random" then people would be getting hurt all over the floor. It's just like scatter drill in drum corps - very rarely is it a true random scatter. Each performer has been plotted to make it look like a scatter, but the plotting and coordination is what makes it effective.

The cool thing about Onyx this year is the depth and layering and multiple events. I was exhausted after the first time I watched it. On subsequent viewings, I enjoyed it even more by focussing on small groups and events and watching how they evolved. There are shows within shows out there. Every time I have seen it, it has been like watching a variation on a theme.

And if you look at the criteria for box five and six on the world class sheets, this show meets all of those requirements. I would imagine that the judging community is split, but they are doing a heck of a job evaluating this show based on the criteria on the sheets and not their personal opinions. Like it or not, nowhere on the sheets does it say you have to have unison ensemble flag blocks, or a minimum number of rifles in your rifle line.

I like to be entertained by color guards. Sometimes I am entertained by tricks (South Shore), great performers (Aimachi from the early 2000s), or in this case, I am entertained because I have to work a little bit to take it all in. Am I sometimes confused? Yes. But that is OK. At the end of the day, I enjoyed it because it is pushing the boundaries and doing something unique.

• Like 6

"They will attempt to destroy anything that differs from their concepts. Not being able to create art, they will not understand art." -Onyx 2011

At Onyx, our intent is to create something new using tools from the past in combination with tools of the future and from other idioms. Certainly we anticipated and welcome discussion, controversy and strong opinions both for and against this direction. We do appreciate your participation.

For sure, the negative comments usually make DCP more interesting and therefore are expected on this forum. It is sad though, in an activity struggling for support from the outside that we attack one another with such hateful comments. It is even more disheartening when the attackers are directors/parents/performers.

Michael Lentz

Onyx

well, good luck to you and all guards. I'm sure(or hope) there will be someting for everyone in Dayton, regardless of scores or medals.

I will agree with you about something , it is kind of sad we attack each other ( ALTHOUGH i THINK WITH SOME IT'S AN ATTACK OF LIKING A STYLE OR SHOW OR NOT, OR THE DIRECTION ) but I have always said that in our activity many many people don't respect who came before them of medaled in the past. If you won a medal or anything in skating it could be 50 years later and they are still that title. not with guard by Monday morning people will start the trash game. You can totally dislike a show or a judges decision ( especially judges ) it's only 5 people out of thousands in that arena. I think things can be discussed and points made just maybe be mindful that people put alot into this. You can not like or like a product and express that without attack. this we can all at least try.

As another poster mentioned though . It is a competition and with competition comes passion, disagreement, a dark side, pride, long hours by ALL, respect, lack of respect, opinion and you have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

As ive said GOOD LUCK TO ALL

• Like 1

Michael Lentz

Onyx

PS:

One more thing Mr. Lentz. Imay or may not like your program this year, it really doesn't matter BUT as far as ART is concerned........What is art supposed to do. Make people think, make people talk ( bad or good ) make people engange in conversation, make people express.

Although it's tough to be critized haven't you accomplished all of that? I would say yes....so in essence if someone likes it or not is not the point Art was created and did what art does. :smile:

art? :w00t: how arrogant,it's art applique at best.

let me remind you that it's twirling rifles,sabres and flags in a gymnasium.

i guess it's "art" in the same way some would consider a macrame' plant hangar "art"! :tongue:

Edited by dugg
  • Like 1