Diceman Radio - 04/03/2011

Sorry Ron.

I hate the voice over ride.

Just my opinion.

Hey, you asked for feedback.. let the Corps finish... then speak up

(just my opinion)

Does anyone else feel this way?

Wow! your recordings really bring me back!!

Edited by NanciD

Sorry Ron.

I hate the voice over ride.

Just my opinion.

Hey, you asked for feedback.. let the Corps finish... then speak up

(just my opinion)

Does anyone else feel this way?

Wow! your recordings really bring me back!!

Yes, dear...

(Heh)

3 phenominal shows in 4 days. CYO Nationals on Thursday in Lowell (15 corps), WO prelims and finals on Saturday, and Danny Thomas Invitational on Sunday. 27th took two of the three.

CYO was their best performance, but wound up in 7th behind cross town rival Boston Crusaders. 27th affectionately referred to CYO as the IOU Nationals until we won it in 1977.

Referring to those 3 shows, SCV lovingly calls them "The Boston Massacre" :tongue: . What I remember most about WO was going under that stands after the show and watching the video of our performance Mr. Haas was kind enough to show us. Before that, we had no idea what we looked like on the field. I truly believe that that gave us the confidence to practice as hard as we possibly could the rest of tour. It definitely paid off...

Referring to those 3 shows, SCV lovingly calls them "The Boston Massacre" :tongue: . What I remember most about WO was going under that stands after the show and watching the video of our performance Mr. Haas was kind enough to show us. Before that, we had no idea what we looked like on the field. I truly believe that that gave us the confidence to practice as hard as we possibly could the rest of tour. It definitely paid off...

Maggie, I also remember the pre-show. As we drove into the parking lot it began pouring. A few minutes later the stadium lights went out. We waited out the storms then drove about a mile away to warm up in a mall parking lot. As I remember, the corps was running on two buses as one had been left in Ontario, Canada following an accident. When we finished the warm up we got back on the buses for our return trip to Manning Bowl. One small problem...one of the buses wouldn't start. We are now down to one bus and the truck (Clara Belle sp?). I was one of the lucky(?) 25 or so that crammed into the truck like sardines. What a hype series of events!

Maggie, I also remember the pre-show. As we drove into the parking lot it began pouring. A few minutes later the stadium lights went out. We waited out the storms then drove about a mile away to warm up in a mall parking lot. As I remember, the corps was running on two buses as one had been left in Ontario, Canada following an accident. When we finished the warm up we got back on the buses for our return trip to Manning Bowl. One small problem...one of the buses wouldn't start. We are now down to one bus and the truck (Clara Belle sp?). I was one of the lucky(?) 25 or so that crammed into the truck like sardines. What a hype series of events!

And we still managed to place 2nd after all of that! Not too bad for a "rinky dink" Corps from California. Heh... :shutup:

And we still managed to place 2nd after all of that! Not too bad for a "rinky dink" Corps from California. Heh... :shutup:

Rinky dink?

Maggie we only had to travel about twenty miles for the show but did it in yellow school busses or our own cars. (have you ever seen a 36" bass drum stuffed into the back seat of a VW convertible?) We owed too much money to the bus company to get 3 coaches. I remember that week very well and we did our best show at the CYO only to see 7th place. We could not believe we could have ever won the World Open against the real powerful corps like Anaheim, Troopers and some other corps from northern California.

Rinky dink?

Maggie we only had to travel about twenty miles for the show but did it in yellow school busses or our own cars. (have you ever seen a 36" bass drum stuffed into the back seat of a VW convertible?) We owed too much money to the bus company to get 3 coaches. I remember that week very well and we did our best show at the CYO only to see 7th place. We could not believe we could have ever won the World Open against the real powerful corps like Anaheim, Troopers and some other corps from northern California.

Oh, no, I was only referreing to what we thought people thought of us! I think we surprised people that we progressed so rapidly. I was always under the impression that they thought we were just a flash in the pan. And as for 27th, I always thought of you guys as one of the powerful Eastern Corps! Someone for us to work our "you know whats" off to beat.

Now as for not having money, believe me we went through the growing pains as well. We all car pooled up to Portland OR for American Legion Nat's in '70, no buses. For the major tour, we had bought the old Troopers buses that the hornline and drumline ended up pushing halfway across the country (well sort of :rolleyes: ). And amazingly, we stuffed all of our equipment in a little "Bobtail" truck named "Clarabelle"

Clarabelle.jpg Good times!

Rinky dink?

Steve: as you undoubtedly recall, at the 1971 IOU Nationals (aka: CYO) we (27th) were on the Starting Line when the downpour started. Uniforms, flags/silks, drumheads, hats/tams, everything. Our opponents were able to file out ahead of us to get under cover, but we were last out. Corps were allowed to "re-tune & warm up" but we were disallowed because warming up after taking the Starting Line was not allowed. We finally went OTL, and were so pizzed-off that we performed with fire in our gizzards .... and the crowd loved it, which in turn got us even more jazzed up! During the Retreat ceremony, Tthe crowd went bezerk when PA announcer Dom Bianculli announced that we finished 7th. (Steve Dorgan's connection in later years with one of the judges of the show revealed that they were shock that the tabulation put us in 7th, which led to spirited discussions that year about lack of standardization or accountability.) Also, after we left the Retreat Ceremony and were really collectively angry, George B stood on the rear step of the old "mail truck" and yelled "ALRIGHT, PEOPLE! .... Aright!..... GET OVER IT. Go home." We got into our personal vehicled and drove home. Practices on THU and FRI were very, very intense as I recall, going to midnight both nights. -Bill-

Edited by Navillus WP

Didn't realize people could see their show that quickly after being taped. Have some of the Haas recordings that have been converted to CD but never knew any were seen right after a show. :w00t: Mr Haas must have been driving a truck full of equipment as think I was told he used a full sized camera with the stand.

Dang... speak o' the devil...

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/145039-drum-corps-videos-business-for-sale/page__pid__2987239#entry2987239

Edited by JimF-LowBari