Drum Corps Losing the Talent War?

Sucks for him the NFL is like slavery. Money is king.

I'll pick all the cotton the Massas want for 5-10 million a year!

BTW, I played football from Pop Warner on up through my sophmore year in high school. Took band during the Spring semester. (Concert Band and Mardi Gras parades) Quit football and went band full time as a Junior because I knew that was my only hope of getting a scholarship to LSU....................

• Like 1

Sucks for him the NFL is like slavery. Money is king.

I'll pick all the cotton the Massas want for 5-10 million a year!

BTW, I played football from Pop Warner on up through my sophmore year in high school. Took band during the Spring semester. (Concert Band and Mardi Gras parades) Quit football and went band full time as a Junior because I knew that was my only hope of getting a scholarship to LSU....................

• Like 1

In Ohio there was a guy (can't remember his name) who went to a high school in Cincinnati known for having a killer football team. He was in the band through 11th grade.

The next year he played football, won a state championship, and was a finalist for Mr. Football.

It happens.

I Played high school football from my freshmen-jr year, but I was also in marching band. In high school this was basically "social suicide" I would get flack from every angle. The marching band hated the football team, and the football team hated the marching band. I would go from having football practice from 4pm-7pm then leave practice early to get changed for marching rehearsal that would start at 7pm and go till 9pm and after that I would have to do my home work! Once my Jr came I was on varsity I was still in marching band and still went to all the rehearsals, but I couldn't perform with the band until Band-O-rama. that spring of my jr year I discovered that there was a group called Lakeshoremen and went to a rehearsal and had a blast! By the time my senior year came along I came to my senses and decided I enjoyed performing, and music more and fell in love with drum corps. After my sr. year I tried out for Troopers and toured with them, as an alternate. I wouldn't have trade that experience for anything, and dont regret take drum corps over football!

Edited by Josiahsop08

Have you heard of Stanley McClover? Here’s what the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel said about him in 2002 when he was being recruited by programs as auspicious as Ohio State, LSU and Auburn:

Stanley McClover isn't the band kid who played bass drums for five years anymore. He's a quick, hulking 6-foot-4, 245-pound senior defensive end with sub 4.5-second speed who's considered by some prep recruiting experts as the best in the nation.

In the recent episode of Real Sports on HBO (watch it here) McClover tells how he wanted to be in the band. He was a drummer and loved it before succumbing to pressure to play football. The feature describes how he and others were allegedly given thousands of dollars in cash to play college football.

So far as I know, this bombshell is the first evidence we have of football boosters targeting potential drum corps talent. This must stop before all our kids are performing before and after halftime instead of where they belong! Where is the outrage?

HH

The first thing that came to my mind after reading this was: Okay. Now he can charitably support and benefit the drum corps community and it's marching members/corps in need satisfied.gif

Trust me, you don't want any dirty ex-Auburn players anywhere near this activity. Well maybe that's not fair to the players... you don't want that dirty Cow College anywhere near this activity. Much better.