Colleges that could make great Drum Corps

Seeing that a limited amount of bands come to the Penn State games (which is where I have season tickets for God knows how many years) I only get to see mainly Big Ten bands... of those about the only ones I really recall having a top notch program are Illinois (and they look like the Crossmen of the late 70's early 80's) and Michigan state.

Both have a nice brassy sound, and competent drumlines....

The band that makes me want to vomit the most is Ohio State....SAYING that you are a great band doesn't make it so.... :thumbdown:

Penn State's Blue Band is just a good COLLEGE band...no frills!

First of all, I think BigDale is gonna have a major issue with your comment about Ohio State, but I'll leave that for him to handle. :lookaround:

Secondly, isn't the Illini drumline primarily Cavaliers? At least I think that used to be that case.

You go to UNT, so I can't imagine why you agree with this list. Also, you march the bluecoats, so it is hard to imagine why you predict them to win.

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you!

Seriously though, I love my university and my drum corps. I'm going to root for them.

Seeing that a limited amount of bands come to the Penn State games (which is where I have season tickets for God knows how many years) I only get to see mainly Big Ten bands... of those about the only ones I really recall having a top notch program are Illinois (and they look like the Crossmen of the late 70's early 80's) and Michigan state.

Both have a nice brassy sound, and competent drumlines....

The band that makes me want to vomit the most is Ohio State....SAYING that you are a great band doesn't make it so.... :thumbdown:

Penn State's Blue Band is just a good COLLEGE band...no frills!

OSU is one of the best college bands in the nation and would make a fine drum corps. Their instrumentation would only need to be tweaked slightly. Not sure why you have a problem with them. They ARE great. thumbup.gif

Saw this article from a link on facebook, and I agree with the Number 1!

The Best #### Bands in the Land

I nominate Michael Boo to do his own list of the best college bands. I'd much rather hear it from somebody who actually knows a thing or two about the marching arts instead of some guy who writes for a sports website who thinks bands are "good" when they have drummers who can't play in unison and brass players that never learned to play with a good tone.

Edit: I'm not knocking all of the bands on that list. Some of them are pretty awesome.

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 2

Not well known but New Mexico State University has always had a solid corps style program. Back in my day there were several SkyRyders in that band.

• Like 1

Heh, I grew up listening to those recordings. You are totally right, though I still think the band sounds decent today, even if they're not quite what they were a few years ago in the days of Rooney. However, the current brass studio is pretty astounding. Went to a Wind Symphony and Brass Band concert recently, and they sounded better than ever.

I don't remember the last time I went to see the Wind Symphony or the Brass Band, but those two ensembles alone put JMU among the top in the country for talent. I'm not saying it because I was in the brass studio, but this is a true FACT.

I was never into Brass Band, but if they were a drum corps, they would musically rival Blue Devils.

Umass Amherst

First show I ever competed in was there.

Was in Indiana Univ of PA MB for a year. Typical MB instrumentation and marching style but drill was as close as you got to Drum Corps at the time. Best quote from the director (Charles Casavant)was "I don't want the band more than 150 members. Anything more they get in the way of my drill".