Mission Drums, Why Call It That?

mission drums was one of the fun shows...great venue,crowd and always a stellar lineup. one memory that has stuck with me is from the mid 60's when they used to stack upcomming corps behind the starting line. while we waited, members of the shows staff came down the line offering each person a drink of oj or water and a cigarette!...plain or menthol....it was a differant time to say the least!

Michael,

The first CYO Nationals was in 1964 and was held at Boston College's Alumni Stadium. After the 1968 show it moved to Cawley Stadium in Lowell for two years, then back to Boston College for most of the rest of it's time - through 1982. During that period there was one more show at Cawley Stadium (1971) and one at Harvard Stadium (1977).

The interesting thing about the CYO Nationals was the method used to incorporate a couple of Boston-area corps into the mix. The CYO Circuit awarded points for placements in circuit shows. The two circuit corps with the most cumulative points during the period leading up to the CYO Nationals got the invitations. Some years that method wasn't so bad, when you had St. Mary's Cardinals, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, and I.C. Reveries in the CYO Circuit. But in those years when those corps chose to go into the Eastern Mass. Circuit rather than the CYO, there were some less than optimal corps from the Boston area who were invited.

Unfortunately, especially in the show's later years, the CYO corps were usually seen at or near the bottom.

See you Saturday....

Andy

Again your knowledge is greatly appreciated. So CYO Nationals and Mission Drums, although being held at the same Stadium for a number of years, were obviously 2 separate shows.

Looking forward to seeing you again this weekend. However I refuse to sit to watch Cabs stage rehearsal this time. I can't afford Curt and George blowing double high As & Bs in my face anymore. Thet broke my bluetooth last week in Dundalk. :cool:

• Like 1

Fisher, long time !

hey pete...i'm always here....just don't chirp too often... :cool:

I remember Mission Drums as having one of the longest retreat ceremonies of any contest. Every trophy was handed out by a politician or church biggie, and each received a lengthy introduction. And trophies for all categories, including some we didn’t see at any other contest.

But the announcement that really set the retreat in my memory, and it happened several times during the retreat, was an invitation to the fans and the corps to a midnight mass following the retreat. We occasionally held our own midnight mass on the bus ride home.

The first CYO Nationals was in 1964 and was held at Boston College's Alumni Stadium. After the 1968 show it moved to Cawley Stadium in Lowell for two years, then back to Boston College for most of the rest of it's time - through 1982. During that period there was one more show at Cawley Stadium (1971) and one at Harvard Stadium (1977).

I had a chance to attend one CYO Nationals, in 1979. It was a great show. That Boston College stadium was a terrific venue.

The one and only Dom Bianculli was still the PA announcer in '79. I think he passed away not too many years after that.

Stupid me, I always thought it was sponsored by Our Lady of Perpetual Bingo. what a dope..... :doh:

Looking forward to seeing you again this weekend. However I refuse to sit to watch Cabs stage rehearsal this time. I can't afford Curt and George blowing double high As & Bs in my face anymore. Thet broke my bluetooth last week in Dundalk. :cool:

Oh the dangers of sitting in the front row. LOL, one of Lancer spouses was looking for a seat and asked where we were sitting. When we said front row, she decided to sit with other people. :tongue:

Here's a link to the current "Mission Drums" show link: MISSION DRUMS SENIOR D&B

2011 Mission Drums (DCA now, no longer CYO)

hosted by Spartans of Nashua, NH

Lawrence Veterans Memorial Stadium

Lawrence, Mass.

SAT 23 JUL

2011 Mission Drums Line-Up:

Reading Buccaneers - Harrisburg, PA

Empire Statesmen - Rochester, NY

Hawthorne Caballeros - Hawthorne, NJ

Connecticut Hurricanes - Derby, CT

Fusion Core - NJ

Boston Crusaders Alumni - Boston, MA

Park City Pride - Bridgeport, CT

Here's a link to the current "Mission Drums" show link: MISSION DRUMS SENIOR D&B

2011 Mission Drums (DCA now, no longer CYO)

hosted by Spartans of Nashua, NH

Lawrence Veterans Memorial Stadium

Lawrence, Mass.

SAT 23 JUL

2011 Mission Drums Line-Up:

Reading Buccaneers - Harrisburg, PA

Empire Statesmen - Rochester, NY

Hawthorne Caballeros - Hawthorne, NJ

Connecticut Hurricanes - Derby, CT

Fusion Core - NJ

Boston Crusaders Alumni - Boston, MA

Park City Pride - Bridgeport, CT

it's another great show with all the very best corps attending. when i marched mission drums BITD it was the really big early show of the year. it was a very special show and to this day remains that way.