Mission Drums, Why Call It That?

So the two juniors were exhibition? I thought I saw somewhere they were judged at that show.

If so, I'd like to see the scores compared to the senior corps.

actually the 2 juniors were judged and if i remember were judged along with the seniors and they came in 1st & 2nd. i could be wrong as my memory can be faulty.

so i was right my memory kinda failed me. here are the scores glen

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

5 Sunrisers (1.0 Penalty) 71.65

6 Caballeros 66.70

7 Rochester Crusaders 64.85

* Syracuse Brigadiers & Reading Buccaneers pulled out

27th and Boston were last-minute replacements

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

6 Caballeros 66.70

Don, where did you find that? I searched SrCorps.com and DCA Hist.Scores. Came up just senior scores.

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

6 Caballeros 66.70

This is rare. How did they get away with this? Oh that's right, the church was involved. It's also fuel for people who like to argue juniors are/were better then seniors at that time.

I'm guessing the same sheets and judges were used on such short notice. Or different sheets weren't even invented yet. Heh!

Going back to the 66 Dream, one can see the best of the very best in both Sr and Jr., SAC would have come in 3rd had the judges judged both groups the same. Or, did they do just that? There goes that can of worms opening.

This is rare. How did they get away with this? Oh that's right, the church was involved. It's also fuel for people who like to argue juniors are/were better then seniors at that time.

I'm guessing the same sheets and judges were used on such short notice. Or different sheets weren't even invented yet. Heh!

Going back to the 66 Dream, one can see the best of the very best in both Sr and Jr., SAC would have come in 3rd had the judges judged both groups the same. Or, did they do just that? There goes that can of worms opening.

it was the same sheets , same judges. and glen who is gonna argue with GOD!!! just goes to show ya that BITD SENIORS COULD COMPETE WITH JUNIORS. UP TILL MAYBE 65 THE SENIORS WERE ACTUALLY BETTER THEN ALMOST ALL JUNIORS. now that can of worms is really open.

it was the same sheets , same judges. and glen who is gonna argue with GOD!!! just goes to show ya that BITD SENIORS COULD COMPETE WITH JUNIORS. UP TILL MAYBE 65 THE SENIORS WERE ACTUALLY BETTER THEN ALMOST ALL JUNIORS. now that can of worms is really open.

I can't recall another contest doing this up until that time. Maybe under the circumstances, with the rain and pull-out, people just went along with it. I'd love to know what Lefty Meyer's reaction was to this.

I remember marching that show. And IMO, it seemed to me that everyone in the Seniors, at that time, realized that the Junior corps were really onto something. And I think that most believed it was a new day for the Junior corps. The rest is history.

I can't recall another contest doing this up until that time. Maybe under the circumstances, with the rain and pull-out, people just went along with it. I'd love to know what Lefty Meyer's reaction was to this.

For the life of me, I do not remember the scores being announced as "one big show" ... the Jrs. went on first and then the Srs. ... they announced the Jrs. and then the Srs, with the Hurcs winning ... however, it was recognized, and played up by many that (as Don pointed out) the same sheets and same judges were used, which caused some raining of the eyebrows ... the DCA reacted by adding a 5 pt. penalty bucket in 1971, effectively creating a base of 105 instead of 100 points ... there was a discussion on DCP a while ago as to when the 5 pt. bucket went away ...

Andy "I want my 5 pt. bucket back" Lisko

For the life of me, I do not remember the scores being announced as "one big show" ... the Jrs. went on first and then the Srs. ... they announced the Jrs. and then the Srs, with the Hurcs winning ... however, it was recognized, and played up by many that (as Don pointed out) the same sheets and same judges were used, which caused some raining of the eyebrows ... the DCA reacted by adding a 5 pt. penalty bucket in 1971, effectively creating a base of 105 instead of 100 points ... there was a discussion on DCP a while ago as to when the 5 pt. bucket went away ...

Andy "I want my 5 pt. bucket back" Lisko

that's right andy. that was the show that created the extra 5 points. it really boosted the scores. but when you did a legion show there was no 5 extra points. i thought the 5 points was in the content analysis. but i can't say for sure. i can't remember when the 5 points went away.

Edited by donincardona

that's right andy. that was the show that created the extra 5 points. it really boosted the scores. but when you did a legion show there was no 5 extra points. i thought the 5 points was in the content analysis. but i can't say for sure. i can't remember when the 5 points went away.

I think the "extra five points" system went away in DCA after the 1977 season. I'm pretty sure of that.

The championship scores from 1978 on forward reflect that.