BEST OF THE 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Too, too many to list!

Norwin High School: everything they had me from the moment this show began until its very last second.

Seminole: just the color of this beautiful production.

Carmel: One of the most beloved shows of the season.

Blackwatch: sheer sheet covering the floor.

Alter Ego: just the emotion coming off the floor from this beautiful show in concept and execution.

Corona: The infamous "strangle feature" and Shapiro's various other tricks.

Braddock: So glad to see this guard medaling, but if I had to pick a moment the abruptness of ending segment.

Onyx: I loved their unique approach to movement from the opening dancers in the center, the 2 "almost ensemble" dance features, and the dance with the transparent curtain. Loved them all definitely establishing dance as their strength.

SCV: Great moments throughout, but the ending dance feature was simply spectacular!

lol you're a drummer dude;-) review your view next week? btw I got my WGI FN last Friday, excuse me while I ketchup 20 years of CG. Carry on folks :bigsmile: Black Watch had clarity and texture...

Actually he was probably referring to the Mechanicsburg color guard- they won the silver medal in the Scholastic A class. THEY WERE AMAZING!!!!

Actually he was probably referring to the Mechanicsburg color guard- they won the silver medal in the Scholastic A class. THEY WERE AMAZING!!!!

i thought mechanicsburg was going to pull out the win .... tough call .... but thought they were great and the show was wonderful.

I'll view them too, thank you. I was involved with winter guard from 1968-1988. Since Friday, I viewed 17 2011 guards and 16 from prior years on FN. I'm in a time warp and a little overwhelmed, like a child in a candy shop. Thank you all for your reviews and insight :smile:

A couple of highlights in no particular order:

Orlando Visual (IO) - wow what a great show!!!

Paramount (IW) - I loved this show -can't believe it scored so low

Carmel (SW) - simply stunning and amazing

West Johnston (SW) - a 3D show - what a great idea - and an amazing run at finals!!!!

Marion Catholic (SW) - The sirens show was beautiful and haunting - thought you were going to drop the guy at the end though :tongue:

Zydeco - I love the bad guys!!!!!! Holy tricks Batman

Corona - simply amazing as always - I don't don't know how the members pulled off all those tricky equipment sequences

Braddock - clean, clean, clean and the weapon line was awesome!!!

Cypress Ind. - Beautiful and great technique all around!!!!!

Fantasia - huge shout out for the never ending rifle segment!!!!

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot - there were so many great moments!!!

later,

Mike

• Like 1

South Shore: Flag feature the best all weekend for me

Black Watch: Simpley beautiful, great concept

Fantasia: I felt like I was watching a major motion picture musical, just breathtaking

Carmel: There are no words to describe how amazing I thought this show was

Santa Clara: So happy it took gold, upbeat and beautiful

Orlando Visual: What a way to end a fabulous year

Zydeco: Love the bad guys, fun fun fun

Onyx: I was sad to see they cut up my most favorite floor ever to make this years. I have to find a picture of that floor and have it made into a poster.

Lyman: I really love this show was sad so many people never got to see it

Apopka: Has one of the most compelling preformers to watch

I loved most of what I saw this weekend. The future of winter guard will be full of diversity and that is a very good thing.

• Like 2

BEST 'FIGHT FOR IT' MOMENT: First Flight

The guy in the rifle line who catches his solo toss even though he had a noticeable 'wardrobe malfunction' underneath it.

I'd need to see the video in order to describe exactly what happened, but it looked as if when his partner behind him was helping him out of his cardigan sweater (or was it a suit jacket?), one of his hands got stuck in the sleeve or maybe the sleeve got tangled-up.

Whatever it was, the crowd could tell that something 'unchoreographed' was happening and there was moment of 'uh, oh...' that could be felt through the audience.

But as his rifle was approaching the catch zone, Mr. Flight Flight was reaching and stretching and doing everything he could do in order to get his hands on that rifle - and he did. Bam...!!!

Granted, it might not have been the 'prettiest' catch in the history of Independent World Finals, but by God that rifle did NOT crash and burn the floor - and the audience definitely responded to the performer's tenacity and dedication to making that catch happen.

Way to go, First Flight...!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Like 1

Can't get the following out of my mind....

SW - Seminole High School...the "lull you to sleep" ending on the bed....beautiful.

SW - Northview High School...thank you for weapon technique and solid unison catches...best of the weekend.

SW - Carmel High School...the message and interpretation is hauting me. Thanks for that experience.

Overall, one of my favorite trips to Dayton.

• Like 1

Fav's IN finals..I say IN because there were some greats and wonderful ENTERTAINMENT that weren't in finals ( should have been IMO ) Anyway...hehehehe

In Finals

IW

Black Watch

Zydeco

SCV

Fantasia

Corona

Alter Ego

SW

Logan

Carmel

Trumbull

Avon

IO

Pacificaires

Spectrum

USF

SO

W. Broward

Oakridge

Rancho C

IA

S Shore

SA

Mechanicsburg

Milford HS

Again a shout out to many who didn't make it .....some of the best :smile: !!!

I loved

Carmel

Alter Ego

Ars Nova

Paramount

Zydeco Open and World

Orlando Visual

Lealta

Fahrenheit

Mt Juliet

Trumbull

Lots of good shows out this year!

I am sad that Ars Nova didnt make finals.. 2nd year I feel they were screwed out of finals ;( There was some people getting shafted in the 1st round of World prelims and in World Semis!