Drum and Baton Corps

I fell in love both with a girl and with playing snare while marching for a drum and baton corps, the Linda's Lassies out of Amherst, Ohio. It was the early '70s, and I was 12 or 13.

The girl is gone, but the love of drumming stuck and, later, led me to drum corps. I learned a ton about marching and playing, we had a blast, and being one of the only boys in the group piqued other interests I had at the time. tongue.gif

I wonder if today's "parade corps" have filled some of those roles today. But the baton corps, as a drummer anyway, was heaven for me.

I hope they still exist for the little geeks of today.

I remember them. I started with the Kay-Detts, went to the Conquistadors and then to the Blackhawk's before doing drum corps. Most people do not know this but Cozy Baker started in the Conquistadors.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember them. I started with the Kay-Detts, went to the Conquistadors and then to the Blackhawk's before doing drum corps. Most people do not know this but Cozy Baker started in the Conquistadors.

And I see you marched Cadets (the Marion Cadets) a couple years after me. Wonder how many others took that same path to drum corps?

• 3 weeks later...

And I see you marched Cadets (the Marion Cadets) a couple years after me. Wonder how many others took that same path to drum corps?

You have to wonder... I was doing a parade with my drum and baton corps in Titusville PA and that's when I saw my first drum and bugle corps. (There was an annual community parade celebration topped off with drum corps show at night in Titusville) After that, I was hooked.

I also recall seeing a lot of drum and baton corps while doing parades on tour in the Chicago area (Highland Park I think) and Upstate NY and one in Canada. Seems like there were tons of them...

You have to wonder... I was doing a parade with my drum and baton corps in Titusville PA and that's when I saw my first drum and bugle corps. (There was an annual community parade celebration topped off with drum corps show at night in Titusville) After that, I was hooked.

I also recall seeing a lot of drum and baton corps while doing parades on tour in the Chicago area (Highland Park I think) and Upstate NY and one in Canada. Seems like there were tons of them...

I used to love that Titsville show,...........a lot of local/regional junior corps like Empire State Express, Cambris Cadets, 84th Bucktails, Erie Mavericks,...........I assisted a local friend for many years at that show who was shooting photos in those days for Drum Corps News,............

Edited by Gary Matczak

• 6 months later...

Yes.... I'm from So Cal and I even remember Montage Drum & Baton Corp. Wow do I ever. Great time. I marched snare 78, 79

There is a BDC that STILL comes to St Catharines Grape and Wine Festival Parade and Welland Rose Festival Parade both here in Ontario CANADA every year!! I believe they are from Akron Ohio Their name escapes me at the moment.They have 2-3 snares 1 bass 1 quad and 1 horizontal bell lyra

A majority of the NIAGARA REGIONAIRES drum line in 1981 came from a B&DC from Toronto. Might have been Montage.

The Daley Debutants Drum and Baton Parade Corps from Milwaukee WI. are at AYOP held at Notre Dame University every year. I have to hand it to them. They must be the most consistant group ever. I remember seeing them in 1976, and they look the same today as I remember then.

The Daley Debutants Drum and Baton Parade Corps from Milwaukee WI. are at AYOP held at Notre Dame University every year. I have to hand it to them. They must be the most consistant group ever. I remember seeing them in 1976, and they look the same today as I remember then.

I remember them well in those years,...........they were GREAT,............also groups like "The Apple Corps", "Desperado Debs",,..........and a latin style group with a battery and keyboards, but they also had Steel Drums and all other sorts of latin percussion, their name escapes me at the moment,........oh yeah, and there was this group that wore British style red jackets, with the big black q-tip style hats, musically, they were friggin' awesome!........All of the groups mentioned and many more had pit style instruments at the time, but were required to move the stuff around the gym floor during their compeditive performance, Imagine two people playing a marimba, with two other people on each end rolling it around during their drill...........many groups were very creative in how they accomplished that,.................those trips to ND were a lot of fun!

I remember them well in those years,...........they were GREAT,............also groups like "The Apple Corps", "Desperado Debs",,..........and a latin style group with a battery and keyboards, but they also had Steel Drums and all other sorts of latin percussion, their name escapes me at the moment,........oh yeah, and there was this group that wore British style red jackets, with the big black q-tip style hats, musically, they were friggin' awesome!........All of the groups mentioned and many more had pit style instruments at the time, but were required to move the stuff around the gym floor during their compeditive performance, Imagine two people playing a marimba, with two other people on each end rolling it around during their drill...........many groups were very creative in how they accomplished that,.................those trips to ND were a lot of fun!