Drum and Baton Corps

Growing up in the late 70s to early 80s in W. Pennsylvania there was a plethora of drum and baton corps. For those who might not know what they were (are?:) it was a marching percussion section with the melody played by mallets accompanied by a color guard and majorettes. These groups were mainstays of parades. I started in one and I understand that Tom Float may have as well. I think they were good starting places for very young drummers and at the time were paying gigs for beginning instructors. Nowadays, from what I have seen, most that are left have majorettes dancing to music piped in by a truck with loudspeakers (geez I HATE electronics in the marching arts :sad: ) Anyhow, do these kinds of organizations still exist with drum sections?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up in the late 70s to early 80s in W. Pennsylvania there was a plethora of drum and baton corps. For those who might not know what they were (are?:) it was a marching percussion section with the melody played by mallets accompanied by a color guard and majorettes. These groups were mainstays of parades. I started in one and I understand that Tom Float may have as well. I think they were good starting places for very young drummers and at the time were paying gigs for beginning instructors. Nowadays, from what I have seen, most that are left have majorettes dancing to music piped in by a truck with loudspeakers (geez I HATE electronics in the marching arts :sad: ) Anyhow, do these kinds of organizations still exist with drum sections?

That is where I started, My dad ran the Dal Demons out of Erie PA from about 1972 - 1980. I saw the Golden Triangles at a parade two summers ago,...........at the moment that is all I can think of tho,..........

That is where I started, My dad ran the Dal Demons out of Erie PA from about 1972 - 1980. I saw the Golden Triangles at a parade two summers ago,...........at the moment that is all I can think of tho,..........

The Golden Triangles were quite good for their context. Dave Lorenzi and Doug Jefferson (Royal Crusaders) taught them. I marched with Kevin and Amy Cervi, and Michaelene Kumer (Mike Kumer's daughter) at the Univ of Pittsburgh. The last time I saw the Golden Triangles they no longer had a drum line and were using the speaker system.

I also saw on line that a group called the Top Hats still exists. An ex Golden Girl from Pitt, Paula Meisner is the director. They also sponsor a winter guard, but no longer seem to have a drum line.

I started out in one as well in Hamilton Ontario back in the early 60's,later took over teaching the drumline and guard in the 70's. It was attached to the Canadian Football League team here in town Hamilton Tiger-Cats hence the name Hamilton Tigerettes Baton and Drum Corps.The drumline would also augment the Marching Band for the team as well.

BDC were big in Ontario HAMILTON FLASHETTES,SCARBOROUGH LIONS, BRAMALEA LIONAIRES,WELLAND ROSETTES,GRIMSBY SPINADETTES,SOUTH CENTER RANGERETTES,DALEWOOD DIABALOS, to mention a few. The drumlines were usually taught by guys in the local Sr.Drum and Bugle Corps. We had snare tenor bass cymbals and glocks.

Met my wife of 38 years because of the Corps she was a twirler me a drummer.

In the black community they have been replaced with Stepper Groups and drill teams. Basically drummers and a group of girls who stop and do a short dance routine. We have about 10 in little Wilmington DEL. From a little as 8 to 75. Sadly the drummers usually are the overlook component of the group. Drumline instruction is very poor. Just consist of doing stret beats. I wanted to get one of the corps (Surf or Raiders) to come and do a workshop but I couldn't get the financing at the time.

I was at a parade and their was a group from St Louis, about 100 with 6 snare, 4 tenor, 4 bass and 6 cymbals. They really looked nice since everyone had nice uniforms. Most cities have at least 4 groups. Good luck finding them until theres a local parade.

• 1 month later...

There was a group called Montage from the Toronto Ontario area in the early '80s. The drummers were pretty much all ex-Toronto Optimist so that line was rocking!

Wow, someone remembers Montage! I taught and arranged for them for a short time after aging out. Excellent line with a bunch of players from Optimists, Crusaders and a few Bridgemen thrown in for good measure.

I started like Gary in a baton corps in Erie, PA. And yes we hated Dal Demons cuz you guys always won!

Wow, someone remembers Montage! I taught and arranged for them for a short time after aging out. Excellent line with a bunch of players from Optimists, Crusaders and a few Bridgemen thrown in for good measure.

Great arrangement of Copacabana!

I started like Gary in a baton corps in Erie, PA. And yes we hated Dal Demons cuz you guys always won!

actually, the crosstown rivalry and traded wins across the summers made for a lot of fun in our REAL early years Cliff,..............and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

Some kids played little league, football, tennis, whatever, but both our corps had great parent groups that made sure we had summers full of regional travel, fun, and education, playing drums on the street as early teens,............what great time we had,............

I fell in love both with a girl and with playing snare while marching for a drum and baton corps, the Linda's Lassies out of Amherst, Ohio. It was the early '70s, and I was 12 or 13.

The girl is gone, but the love of drumming stuck and, later, led me to drum corps. I learned a ton about marching and playing, we had a blast, and being one of the only boys in the group piqued other interests I had at the time. tongue.gif

I wonder if today's "parade corps" have filled some of those roles today. But the baton corps, as a drummer anyway, was heaven for me.

I hope they still exist for the little geeks of today.

Edited by garfield