Drum and Baton Corps

Wow you remember a lot. I marched snare in the sequinettes drum and bell corps from Norwalk CA. I think we were the group that traveled the most. We won JR corps champions in 1977. We just couldn't beat the Mustages.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you remember a lot. I marched snare in the sequinettes drum and bell corps from Norwalk CA. I think we were the group that traveled the most. We won JR corps champions in 1977. We just couldn't beat the Mustages.

oh yeah,...........completely forgot about the Mustangs,........

Wow. Being 15, I didn't know there was such a thing as Drum and Baton Corps! From what I've read in this thread, it sounds as if it is rather similar to WGI. Does WGI have routs Drum and Baton Corps??

Wow. Being 15, I didn't know there was such a thing as Drum and Baton Corps! From what I've read in this thread, it sounds as if it is rather similar to WGI. Does WGI have routs Drum and Baton Corps??

It was a little like WGI, but mainly oriented at parade routines. Competition was fierce and many of these groups had DCI staff as instructors. In those days, you could use marching bells (played flat like concert bells), marimbas, xylos, and even vibes. The membership was typically a little younger than DCI lines, although in those lines, typical DCI lines were MUCH younger than today. I knew of some drum and baton corps where the members of the drum line actually got paid!

It was a little like WGI, but mainly oriented at parade routines. Competition was fierce and many of these groups had DCI staff as instructors. In those days, you could use marching bells (played flat like concert bells), marimbas, xylos, and even vibes. The membership was typically a little younger than DCI lines, although in those lines, typical DCI lines were MUCH younger than today. I knew of some drum and baton corps where the members of the drum line actually got paid!

The funny thing is these groups were using pit type instruments (in a mobile fashion) before Junior and Senior field corps were using planted pit instruments,...........

• 3 months later...

I started out in one as well in Hamilton Ontario back in the early 60's,later took over teaching the drumline and guard in the 70's. It was attached to the Canadian Football League team here in town Hamilton Tiger-Cats hence the name Hamilton Tigerettes Baton and Drum Corps.The drumline would also augment the Marching Band for the team as well.

BDC were big in Ontario HAMILTON FLASHETTES,SCARBOROUGH LIONS, BRAMALEA LIONAIRES,WELLAND ROSETTES,GRIMSBY SPINADETTES,SOUTH CENTER RANGERETTES,DALEWOOD DIABALOS, to mention a few. The drumlines were usually taught by guys in the local Sr.Drum and Bugle Corps. We had snare tenor bass cymbals and glocks.

Met my wife of 38 years because of the Corps she was a twirler me a drummer.

I fell in love both with a girl and with playing snare while marching for a drum and baton corps, the Linda's Lassies out of Amherst, Ohio. It was the early '70s, and I was 12 or 13.

my brother met his eventual wife at age 12 in our corps,.......that was 37 years ago,......from then till now, they have never seperated,......

In 1971 We had this new thing called drum and bugle corps attached to our already multiple championship drum and bell corps which provided music for our majorettes. (baton twirlers)

That corps was called The Concord Blue Devils.

In 1971 We had this new thing called drum and bugle corps attached to our already multiple championship drum and bell corps which provided music for our majorettes. (baton twirlers)

That corps was called The Concord Blue Devils.

We competed against the bd baton corps in 1974 in SF. Wedid beat them.