Pacificaires....what?

FIRST OFF:

I'm not here to bash Pacificaires

BUT, I really don't understand WHY they did so well. They had awful catching technique...I understand that they all had the SAME weak technique....but still...weak technique wins I guess. Shouldn't catching SOLID be the standard technique. IMO, The only reason they did so well was because they can dance well. I understand that dancing and looking graceful while doing the work is VERY important, but this is colorguard. You shouldn't score so well just because you can dance amazing, but can't catch solid. Also, there was nothing innovative about their show, I am not saying they should have been as far out there as Onyx, but USF and Alta Marea had much better show concepts. What was their show about anyways? Riding a train and coming home? How original.

This is just my opinion, I'm not asking for people to tell me I'm wrong, but I do want to hear other people's opinions. :)

FIRST OFF:

I'm not here to bash Pacificaires

BUT, I really don't understand WHY they did so well. They had awful catching technique...I understand that they all had the SAME weak technique....but still...weak technique wins I guess. Shouldn't catching SOLID be the standard technique. IMO, The only reason they did so well was because they can dance well. I understand that dancing and looking graceful while doing the work is VERY important, but this is colorguard. You shouldn't score so well just because you can dance amazing, but can't catch solid. Also, there was nothing innovative about their show, I am not saying they should have been as far out there as Onyx, but USF and Alta Marea had much better show concepts. What was their show about anyways? Riding a train and coming home? How original.

This is just my opinion, I'm not asking for people to tell me I'm wrong, but I do want to hear other people's opinions. :)

In my opinion, catching is only part of the battle. Finding a colorguard where everyone catches the same, and all have the same GREAT catch is very rare! Or at least, to me. Maybe I'm just hard to impress with catches. But yeah. Also, their dipping technique is VERY different too. Notice how they (all) dip their left shoulder in as they go to the dip? That's different from most colorguard. That's just their own technique I guess. Though some members do it more than others, they still all do it the same.

However, did you see their flag feature? It's ridiculously clean. I mean, I've seen it cleaner from them (fan network regional) but it's still very very clean. All their hands in the same spots... all the right angles... and all their drill is clean too.

Plus their book was smart. Very musical.

They had a smart show that was written to the sheets.

Good movement, good book, good show concept.

They played by the rules, and played them well. :)

All in my opinion.

I personally enjoyed their show loads.

I do agree that they had some musical work, I just don't agree with their execution and the score they got. I just think that catching solid is starting to fade from scores. But thanks for responding!

I once spoke to a highly recognized technician who explained technique in the following manner. Good technique is when all members are uniform. If a guard dips different or catches different than your definition of good technique it does not make it bad technique.

• Like 1

You didn't like their catches - ok... but they all caught the SAME way. That's what matters. EVERY group has at least some little thing that is different in their technique (unless they are all taught by the same people). Making the unit look like 1 is what counts and Pacificaires did just that. They were flawless in their approach to technique, time, and execution. Period. Canada does things differently than the USA, and The Netherlands do things different than Canada... doesn't mean anyone is "wrong" or "bad".. it is what it is and as long as it's the same from person to person they will do well.

Also - the Pacificaires bodies were in full support of the equipment, which is what the body should do. They were properly trained to dance and handle equipment while dancing.

Edited by Will
  • Like 1

Yea, I understand that they all do the same technique. But is catching solid and strong not being accounted for when scoring anymore??

catching strong and hard is not one of the criteria on the judging sheet nor has it ever been.

Individuals apply and maintain a strong sense of uniformity of principles and expressive efforts.

Effort gradations of space, time, weight, and flow are evident in

understanding and application. Body training supports good equipment skills, and the use of

breath enhances the effort. Muscle, flexion, tension, rotation and breath work well in achieving

all responsibilities. Expressive equipment characteristics are clear. A strong level of skill is

demonstrated by individuals in moving through space, in isolated moves, and moves done on

and around the body. Breaks and flaws are infrequent and recovery is quick. Concentration

and stamina are consistently displayed. Achievement reflects a full development of physical

and mental training, and there is a consistent connection between movement and equipment

expressive dynamics. Adherence to style is consistent. Training is evident for this level and

accommodates the achievement of skill.

This is box 5 on the open class sheets

• Like 2

Ok - I just watched their show again

From what I can see they have very strong technique - it's evident across the board - and the whole guard spins all 3 pieces of equipment - well I might add.

Was their show my favorite in open class - no... but you cannot say that there was no technique involved as it is clearly there and consistent from one member to the next - with an extremely exposed show I might add!

later,

Mike

• Like 3

catching strong and hard is not one of the criteria on the judging sheet nor has it ever been.

Individuals apply and maintain a strong sense of uniformity of principles and expressive efforts.

Effort gradations of space, time, weight, and flow are evident in

understanding and application. Body training supports good equipment skills, and the use of

breath enhances the effort. Muscle, flexion, tension, rotation and breath work well in achieving

all responsibilities. Expressive equipment characteristics are clear. A strong level of skill is

demonstrated by individuals in moving through space, in isolated moves, and moves done on

and around the body. Breaks and flaws are infrequent and recovery is quick. Concentration

and stamina are consistently displayed. Achievement reflects a full development of physical

and mental training, and there is a consistent connection between movement and equipment

expressive dynamics. Adherence to style is consistent. Training is evident for this level and

accommodates the achievement of skill.

This is box 5 on the open class sheets

Well stated, I guess it's just a personal preference for me to watch guards catch strong. And I respect that Canada has a different technique from us. But I wish there was a norm or something. Nothin' I can do about it though :)

I'm right there with you on catch performance and catching strong, but if you look back through the years that are plenty of groups who won or were in the top that did not have solid catches.

Like my old director said, "there is no such thing as a perfect show, but you can go out there and have your best possible performance." Very true in this activity.

• Like 1