Five great percussion moments in DCI history

There is a warmup video floating around online that has them running through the drum feature, battery only. Well worth watching if you're a percussion fan - the entire second half of that drum solo was *way* more intense than I remember seeing on TV (as is usually the case, I know, but still... it's cool!).

Mike

Wow! What division were they in '98 and what was the rest of the show like?

I definitely agree with the Bridgemen inclusion.

Some I would have included:

1993 Scouts--Strawberry Soup Just plain sick!

1995 Cavaliers

1977 Oakland Crusaders

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

2000 Cadets

1987 Cadets

They were Open Class (now called World).

The rest of their show, IMO, wasn't as intense or exciting as the drum feature. But, to be fair, that drum feature was such a "moment," it's hard to have the other 9.5 minutes or so stack up to that.

Mr. Boo,

Great list! A lot of these I had never looked at in-depth, so thank you for that!

One thing I'd like to point out:

"Rather than push you back in your seat, it pulled the fans forward in rapt attention. I don’t think we’ve ever had such a moment since."

Star '93? That feature had a full range of dynamics capable of drawing in the audience, then blowing them away, then drawing them in again.

That was actually the second year they did the spinning drummers. Check out their 1997 show, too. I think that one was even better, because they've got a "running" rack before the spinning drummers.

Yeah, the second year had more impressive spinning drummers, but the corps itself (and the show) wasn't quite as good, I think. They seemed much younger (and fewer), and IIRC the battery was switching folks from instrument to instrument on each song (a la Madison that year as well).

Mike

Since nobody else has brought 'em up yet, I get to be the first...

...1991 Santa Clara Vanguard. Sick closer, and the helicopter roll to boot. 'Nuff said.

How bout 1984 27th Lancers? Awesome drumline!!

Seconded. Thirded. Fourthed even. Maybe the best battery ever. Talk about the good cheese.