My WGI Thoughts and Favorites!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew…It’s been a whirlwind! My body has finally adjusted and my sleep pattern is seemingly getting back to normal (thank goodness, since my thesis is due in 2 weeks!) As I reflect back upon the last week and all that took place during WGI, there are quite a few shows and programs that still are lingering in my mind. These Shows have carved out a little place in my heart and I will always look back on them fondly. While there were many, MANY great shows this weekend, here are the ones that moved me and why. Go grab a glass of Milk or Ice Tea, I have a feeling this is gonna be a long one!

Carmel: Cause you already know how this will end!? With a Gold Medal is how!!! :smile: Wonderful design and impeccable performers has finally gotten Carmel to the top of SW. For so many years they were so close, but this year they buckled in and nailed their show. Wonderful flag phrases and solid tosses/catches set this group a part. Congrats!

Trumbull: Gorgeous, Beautiful, Stunning. . The hope show could have very easily crossed the line of taste, but this amazingly talented staff let the colors of the silks and the emotions of the performers tell the story of their show. Speaking of performers, did you see how well trained Trumbull is?!? Talk about technique! Thank you so much for spinning so well and doing it so exquisitely, it did not go unnoticed. Also, I think the piano player also set the tone for this show. I was told she also wrote the music for the show! It seems there’s tons of talent at Trumbull!

West Johnston: I fully admit that I’m the guy who can never ‘see it’ 3D, Magic eye, optical illusions. .I’m that guy. So imagine my surprise when I put on my 3D glasses and DID see it! I was floored. In an activity that sometimes hits a creative rut; I think West Johnston just upped the ante on what can be done, and how you can do it in a fun manner! One of my Favorite shows of the weekend!

Santa Clara Vanguard: What happened to the light? :huh: Oh well. . .there was enough electricity on the floor to light a 1000 lights and it was evident in every aspect of this show. I was a HUGE fan of the run and gun section. I was also close enough to watch the faces of the performers and they know how to sell a show!

Opus 10: Can a group get more exquisite than Opus 10!?! Amazing technique and effortless movement set this group a part. Their ending flag feature was magnificent. Say what you want about their shows, but there’s a lot that spectators and participants can learn by watching how Opus 10 moves and spins. It’s almost text book perfection technique…and again that’s missing in a lot of today’s shows that have groups tossing as high as they can, catching sloppily and running to their next spot to repeat, and repeat, and repeat!

Corona: I fully admit that Corona was my favorite show of the year. The paper doll concept was something that emotionally moved me for some reason. Maybe a repressed childhood memory or my love of shows that consist of lesbian music!? I’m not sure. But I think so often many of us feel like the words they were conveying visually: ‘Here I am, wordless again, you dress me up different ways . .Flat and thin, speechless within, and you dress me up different ways . . .But I just can't be sure I'll ever change’. Ahhhhhhhhh, it almost brings a tear to my eye! The equipment is again out of this world and the things asked of these performers are unfathomable! The effect of introducing color through colored reams of paper was just genius. And the ending flag feature was beyond words. Thank you to the entire Corona family for one of the best shows I’ve ever witnessed!

Zydeco : Oh my…I do love a bad guy! So much so that I wanted to paint myself red, run out to the floor and start spinning as my own appointed character ‘The Hamburglar’ I may have put on a few pounds since my 20’s but I can still spin with the best of them, and this show made me WANT TO! Fun in every aspect of the word. There’s a reason the place went nuts! Thanks for adding some fun while keeping true to your identity, your amazing spinning and your stunning movement! Packed with Talent and it showed!

Alter Ego: This is another show that pulled on the heart strings, there’s something about the movie contact that I just love. Did you see the amazing weapon ripple that went around the floor, person after person!? OMG…I was holding my breath at its beauty! Alter Ego has shown some tremendous growth and I can’t wait to see what they do next!

Black Watch: Sheer Madness, you say? I say Sheer Genius…the way they used the fabric to create effect was outstanding. Not to mention their gorgeous unis (that literally blinked) Blackwatch is one of those unique groups who still utilize form/drill to create effect, much like how they open and end their show. I applaud the design team and uber talented performers for giving us such a wonderful show!

Sonnor : I was sad not to see them make semi-finals…it’s always tough being the first one out, but I did catch them in prelims and there are some elegant moments throughout the show. Very nice and creative flag work set a lovely tone and made me appreciate the loveliness of their show. Go watch it on the Fan Network! It’s a great show.

Rhapsody: There’s something about the piece ‘Out of Africa’ that makes me want to pretend I’m amazing lyrical dancer (I’m not, but I can dream) or curl up in the fetal position and cry (in a good way) I told my friends that I would love to see the show again just so I could hear the music and watch how they interpret it with color. Rhapsody had one of the more unique approaches to lightning this season with multi colored LED panels that changed throughout the show. Did I mention they were gorgeous? :smile:

Oak Ridge: Oh my…one of the surprises of the weekend. Simply breathtaking! The way in which they moved and spun was out of this world. The opening and ending subtle movement in, on and around the bench was brilliance! I foresee an upcoming star in SW with this group! Bravo to all involved, again one of my favs of the weekend!

Collins Hill: Pack my clothes in a bag. Collins Hill take on military love and loss also plucked an emotional chord. The agony and intensity the performers poured into this show was evident and it took me to a place that raw and real.

Lyman: Another show that was SO close to making it in! Great in every way shape and form, but sometimes that’s just the way the cookie crumbles. They did not go unnoticed though, as I thought the show was fun, upbeat and performed at a very high level. They incorporated moveable drums throughout the set to give this show a wonderful effect and feel.

Pacificaires: I don’t think that there is a word to describe the beauty of this show. It was poetry! Each performer owned everything she did. Talk about amazing technique and candor, this group had it all, and will do well in IW. I feel like I’m doing a disservice not writing more about how brilliant this show is, but words just fail. . .one must witness it, to fully grasp its splendor and complexity.

Orlando Visual: Yet another amazing show, that utilized one of the best props of the day..a swinging mirror/chair. I can’t wait to see how this program evolves, as I’m fairly unfamiliar with this group. But they made a believer out of me with their wonderful production.

Zydeco Open: Zombies on the loose! Yet again the simplicity in the beginning of the show gives way to an all fun fest that pokes fun of itself and is complete with a zombie attack. Wonderful weapons and an amazing ending flag feature punctuate this show!

Spectrum: Color me Surprised! There was unique spin to Spectrum that I wasn’t expecting. It was fun, upbeat, and very easy to get into. This was a show that drew that audience in and made them a part of the experience. ..and talk about some strong and solid weapons! They had them! I love the direction this program is headed. They could very well medal next year in IO

South Shore: Okay, Guilty as charged..this was the only show that made me jump out of my seat, and I was surprised I did it…I’m just not that kinda guy! But D*mn those tricks get me everytime. I was anxiously holding my breath at the end and when he nailed that last rifle toss, something supernatural just took over my body. You can tell there has been more attention paid to technique and movement. But, really it’s the insanity of their weapon book that really pulls us all in…and it WAS insanity in those most delicious way possible!

Blessed Sac A: Ah-heya ma ma ma, hey-de-da-naya, Hey ma ma ma, hey-ay-ay-ay, ah. . .Life in a Northern Town! Beautiful little A show that made me smile!

O Fallon Township: O’Fallon played bridesmaid all year, only to get married on the biggest night of the year! Congrats! Their cheerful and fun show provided many us in the audience great joy! Strong in everything they did…their gold is well deserved.

Milford: Portrayed their show Jar of Hearts so painfully real that I felt like I was getting broken up with all over again! I liked how the silks transitioned from black to deep red, to bright red…giving us hope that our hearts in the end will indeed heal and we will again go on to love!

Walton: Love how this show was designed and put together. (the floor gradually rolls up throughout the performance until it’s gone at the end) Strong design aesthetic and the talented performers gave Walton a unique voice and gave us a fresh look at something intriguing.

Cypress Bay: Um, where did they come from? They THREW down. A great design, with amazing performers that sold their show. I think my jaw hit the ground on numerous times of what was being asked of this group. You should be very proud…you deserved all the praise you get! Thanks for pulling me into your world.

Smithfield-Selma: I love a little whimsy now and then, and that’s what this show provided. An exciting trip into wonderland that wasn’t clique or trite, but adventurous and rewarding for both performers and audience members alike. There was a great joy permeating from this group!

Americas A: Was just outside of A finals, but demonstrating an amazing skill level for an A class group. A show that was reflective and sensitive. This group’s maturity was evident in the way they spun, moved and performed.

Bellbrook: A Solid Semi-Finalist that performed at a very high level, given they only returned 6 members and were marching 11 new members including a foreign exchange student! Bellbrook again delighted with unique design choices, solid weapon work and one of the most gorgeous flag features to end their program.

Convalescence was unfortunately disqualified again and told that their show F**K You! Was not appropriate for a fun-filled family event. In protest Sebastienne again took to the Mariott lobby to make it all about himself. Deluged with a mylar ribbon baton, silver pom-poms and an oversized purple beach ball... Sebastienne delighted the masses (or rather was laughed at). You could hear him complaining to the hotel staff (or for that matter, anyone who would listen) that his soundtrack was sabotaged by an unnamed source. He vows revenge and will be back next season with a state of the art sound system…you can bet on it!

Wow…I again apologize for how lengthy that was, but I did tell you to get some milk, ice-tea or something. I have to say that this was once again one of the best times of the year. Getting to see old friends and meet new ones. I was lucky enough to meet and hang out a little with the Trumbull/Alter Ego staff. They happen to be the kindest, most humble and down to earth guys you’ll ever meet, and that’s refreshing! The same goes for Greg Lagola and Denise Bonfiglio, whom I also got to meet.

Since I’ve now rambled on…I’ll close with hoping that everyone had a wonderful and exuberant WGI! I anxiously look forward to what next year will have in store for us. . .

HAPPY DEBBIE! :thumbup:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 2

Wow. Thank you for a great review and a fun read! I agree with everything you had to say, (well, at least for the shows that I managed to see!).

I thought I might have been the only person who wondered what happened to SCV's light! :huh2: But, you are right.... they were electric! Just joyful, and whirling, and exuberant. I loved it! I'm still humming the music!

There truly were so many shows to love, but I especially agree with your comments about Corona. If not for Vanguard, it was my favorite, favorite! Every time I watched it, I waited for the tossed papers.... the linked dancers, who looked like paper cut-outs, and the lovely flag work. So so wonderful.

Thanks for the comments on Sonnor - they are much appreciated. :thumbup:

I kinda figured no one had seen us as WGI (except for Jeremy and Carole - our number #1 American fans!!!!)

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

Aww, a special shout out! We love you, Michael!! :bigsmile:

I fully admit that I am part of the US Sonnor fan club!!!!

• Like 3

Mike I recall seeing and hearing more than 2 people in the crowd... haha

I kinda figured no one would "review" us, though.

It's great to read comments like that! Thank you to the OP for the review!

Thanks for the comments on Sonnor - they are much appreciated. :thumbup:

I kinda figured no one had seen us as WGI (except for Jeremy and Carole - our number #1 American fans!!!!)

Later,

Mike

Great review and a fun read. Thanks!

I too thank you for the Sonnor comments. The Quebec guards have always turned heads and it is great to see that tradition continues today. As a dual citizen from Quebec, I think that makes me the #1 Canadian-American fan!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew…It’s been a whirlwind! My body has finally adjusted and my sleep pattern is seemingly getting back to normal (thank goodness, since my thesis is due in 2 weeks!) As I reflect back upon the last week and all that took place during WGI, there are quite a few shows and programs that still are lingering in my mind. These Shows have carved out a little place in my heart and I will always look back on them fondly. While there were many, MANY great shows this weekend, here are the ones that moved me and why. Go grab a glass of Milk or Ice Tea, I have a feeling this is gonna be a long one!

Spectrum: Color me Surprised! There was unique spin to Spectrum that I wasn’t expecting. It was fun, upbeat, and very easy to get into. This was a show that drew that audience in and made them a part of the experience. ..and talk about some strong and solid weapons! They had them! I love the direction this program is headed. They could very well medal next year in IO

Wow…I again apologize for how lengthy that was, but I did tell you to get some milk, ice-tea or something. I have to say that this was once again one of the best times of the year. Getting to see old friends and meet new ones. I was lucky enough to meet and hang out a little with the Trumbull/Alter Ego staff. They happen to be the kindest, most humble and down to earth guys you’ll ever meet, and that’s refreshing! The same goes for Greg Lagola and Denise Bonfiglio, whom I also got to meet.

Since I’ve now rambled on…I’ll close with hoping that everyone had a wonderful and exuberant WGI! I anxiously look forward to what next year will have in store for us. . .

HAPPY DEBBIE! :thumbup:

Thanks from Spectrum!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1