1988 Bluecoats percussion feature

Semi-related, in 1998 Madison's battery switched equipment for every song. One chart was all snares (12+) and basses, no tenors. Another had no snares. They didn't march a "standard" battery until the very end of the show, if I recall correctly.

Star in 1993 and BK in 85 did something similar-BK used graduated duo-tenors for the opener, and Star switched around a lot.

Semi-related, in 1998 Madison's battery switched equipment for every song. One chart was all snares (12+) and basses, no tenors. Another had no snares. They didn't march a "standard" battery until the very end of the show, if I recall correctly.

The opener, the theme to Lupin III, had the tenor line on snare with the snare line.

The middle tune, Swingin' Pete...Sweet!, had the snare line on tenors with the tenor line, although a couple snares switched back near the end of the tune.

The closer, Remembrance, had the remaining snares returning to snare during the intro of the tune, setting the drum line in its standard configuration.

I think by that math...all the cymbals and quads switched over to snare, and 1 front ensemble member picked one up as well.

On another OT note...

I only know of a few corps that have ever pulled colorguard members into the hornline...are there any more than these few?

- Garfield Cadets 77(?)

- Garfield Cadets 86

- Bluecoats 88

I don't think she played anything, but the lead guard girl from Crown 09 had a trumpet and a corps uniform for the opener before she became "Tinkerbell" or whatever. I'm pretty sure she was out there marching for at least part of it, because I remember rehearsals where they were teaching her how to march, point her horn to the box, etc :tongue: . I'll check my Finals DVD and see if I can tell how long she was out there.

EDIT: Yup, she starts with the rest of the corps in uniform doing the preshow, interacts with "Peter Pan" a bit, and then hides behind the pit for most of the opener. She gets back in the drill for the last 20 seconds or so, before they pull the uniform off near the beginning of the next piece.

Edited by CrownStarr

That's a good one, but I think for the Bluecoats epic brass moment, it has to be 2008 (The brass shout chorus in The Boxer).

I will be stunned if that doesn't make Boo's list.

Should be right at the top of the list, actully.....good GOD what a sound!!

Sorry for the OT, but I thought you might want to know that at the end of the tune, 19 of the guard members switched to soprano bugle. Check out Bluecoats 1988 Autumn Leaves.

I wonder if that will make Mr. Boo's list of five great brass moments. :ph34r:

Was that a tribute to Garfield Cadets' 1977 show?

That's a good one, but I think for the Bluecoats epic brass moment, it has to be 2008 (The brass shout chorus in The Boxer).

I will be stunned if that doesn't make Boo's list.

That's a good pick. So far, I haven't been asked to make a brass moments list. Perhaps when WGI starts up an indoor marching brass event.

And please keep in mind these lists are just five great moments, not just the five "greatest" moments. There will be some obvious and not obvious selections, but I'm writing about five moments among the thousands that are memorable to me.

So, what else should be considered for a greatest brass moments article?

I would add the 86 Close Encounters Contra section from Star of Indiana in a great brass moments list.

That's a good pick. So far, I haven't been asked to make a brass moments list. Perhaps when WGI starts up an indoor marching brass event.

And please keep in mind these lists are just five great moments, not just the five "greatest" moments. There will be some obvious and not obvious selections, but I'm writing about five moments among the thousands that are memorable to me.

So, what else should be considered for a greatest brass moments article?

Jade! thumbup.gif

( The whole thing!)

Edited by jjeffeory