Bill Cook

+ + +

I always regretted getting sucked into all the anti-Star nonsense back in the day. There were people in the activity that seemed to hate Bill Cook, even members of corps who Bill had financially helped in the dark of night (and didn't grandstand about or even ask that it be mentioned). I am thankful to have had the opportunity to exchange some emails with him over the years, and read quite a few of his thoughts about how drum corps should be built/managed. It is no surprise that he accomplished so many wonderful things. I wish every email I ever read had me as fired up, optimistic, and ready to take on the world as the ones I received from him did. Some people are leaders, who inspire their followers to accomplish more than they originally thought possible. Bill Cook was one of those men. He left everything he touched better than before he got there.

It is the entire human race that has lost a special member of their community.

We are so very grateful that we had the opportunity to know Bill and Gayle and to be a small part of the Star of Indiana family. His generosity ... his kindness ... and his caring for all of his "kids" and their families can never be duplicated. Rest in peace Bill. There's a new "star" in heaven today.

Dan and Marilyn Tye

The back-to-back losses of Bob Lendman and Bill Cook is so devastating for the extended Star of Indiana community. While we've known for decades that we only had Bill on borrowed time, the news of his passing has shaken and saddened all of us.

As the first DM of Star, Bill and I had a funny and wonderful relationship, which started off during the first camp when several of my Jersey friends and I assumed he was the corps hall custodian. When he insisted he was Bill Cook, the eccentric philanthropist who had funded this whole thing but we had yet to meet at that point, we actually asked him to produce his ID to prove it. Amused, he did just that...although that may have been the last time I ever say him with his wallet on him! :satisfied: And so began my introduction to a dear friend, a treasured mentor, and perhaps the only drum corps fan whose enthusiasm and love for the activity matched (surpassed?) my own.

Most of you will only ever know of a fraction of what Bill has done for the activity. His intellect, kindness, and integrity may only have been matched by his humility. I am a better person for having known him, and he certainly used his time on earth to make it a better place.

Bill was also a funny, eclectic, and stubborn individual, and I hope as we are able to reign in our sadness over the next few days that we can begin to share some of the wonderful stories so many of us have and share those treasured memories of a dear friend, so terribly missed.

May you Wish Upon a Star forever, dear Bill.

My love to Gayle and Carl and all of those who knew and loved him,

Karen

• Like 5

"..."

When I smell the steel mills of northern Indiana, I remember Uncle Bob.

When I pass over the Wabash River, I remember Uncle Dick.

When I laugh at a freeway vehicle with a flapping canvas mess atop the car, I remember Dad.

When I see a Star of America bus, I will remember Bill Cook.

• Like 1