Bill Cook

just in case some don't wander over to the DCI pages or pay attention on the home page... Bill Cook died today...

The man always found time for drum corps and enjoyed DCA corps as well ...

He was special to us all and will be missed.

• Like 1

just in case some don't wander over to the DCI pages or pay attention on the home page... Bill Cook died today...

Hi Tom. I am on my first cup of coffee on Saturday morning and just saw this sad news. I became acquainted with Bill when I was involved in running DCM shows. While he was somewhat controversial at the time because of the amount of money he spent on Star of Indiana, no one could deny his passion for the activity. Besides, he made the money and was certainly entitled to spend it as he saw fit. RIP.

So sad to read this. He was so kind to me and helpful. When Blast was on Broadway I organized a trip for 80 of my closest Caballero friends to attend, so I thought it would be nice if they mentioned Jim Costello somehow at the show, who sadly passed away a few months prior.

I wrote a long worded email to Mr. Cook with my request and giving Cos's bio etc......Mr. Cook wrote me back what seemed to be instantly telling me there is no need for me to tell him who Cos was, that he was very familiar and it would be an honor to include him.

Well before the curtains opened they announced the show would be dedicated to Mr. James Costello, and spoke so highly of him and his contributions.......(all to the surprise of the other 79 Caballero attendees and the rest of the crowd). It was such a special touch to a great show and all because Mr. Cook went the extra mile for a fellow drum corps.

What a great man - RIP, God Bless

What Tom said.

I met Mr. Cook once, at a DCA championship weekend. He was so down to earth I wouldn't have known if he had two nickels to rub together, yet alone the millions (OK... billions) of dollars he had.

A very good man.... and a visionary when it came to drum corps and the marching music activity.

My thoughts and prayers to both Carl, his family and Gayle.

I also have had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Cook. My wife and I along with friends spent a drum corps weekend as his guest at his home along the Ohio River. The highlight, besides the show, was watching old drum corps tapes in his board room, wich was the second floor of a barn on the property.

I credit Mr. Cook with getting Sr. corps DCI exposure. I am sure he had something to do with Steel City's 1990 DCI Finals appearence. If you read the DCI forum on Mr. Cook, you will notice the countless mentions of his behind the scenes generosity. He helped out financially with many corps anonymously. He will be missed by the entire drum corps community.

I also credit Mr. Cook with creating a new venue for corps members to showcase their talents when he started "Blast". Many perfromers have furthered their careers by participating.

Such sad news.... he was a wonderful man and did a lot for drum corps. He will be missed. Thanks Mr. Cook for your years of contribution to this activity. RIP

And he ALWAYS answered instant messages!!! RIP Mr Cook!..

Mr. Cook's influence on ALL areas of the activity have been simply amazing. And, believe it or not, that influence has even been felt in the Alumni genre. Not just with the Star United Alumni Corps but ALL Alumni Corps. Cabs, Skyliners, Reilly, Archie to name just a few. If you can think of an Alumni Corps there is probably someone performing in that Corps that possibly owes his very life to Mr. Cook. It was Mr. Cook's Medical Technology Company that developed the stent, that little metal object that looks like (for those of us old enough to remember that simple little toy) "Chinese Handcuffs" and helps keep veins unclogged. I know that I myself have 3 of these objects and I know of some people performing today with as many as 8 stent implants. His influence, not just in our activity but, to all humanity, I think, can be compared to the invention of the wheel.

May God Rest His Soul.