Bugler's Hall of Fame Bridgeport

Hey Donnie.....thanks for the review. For those of us who couldn't make it, this is the next best thing.

As a member of the BHOF, I must say these events are awesome. This was the first time I missed the Bridgeport show since it started. (Prior commitments with the Cabs competing corps kept me away). I hope I don't have to miss again in the future, but one never knows...

I wish I could have been there for Jimmy and Joey's induction. Not sure if they read this or not, but please give them my very best regards, and tell them how happy I am for them to be recognized by this brotherhood. They are truly worthy of this honor!!!

See you all soon!

For DCP folks who haven't gotten out to one of these BHoF I&E shows, get the schedule early and put it on your bucket list. Simply an amazing day - the bari ensemble from St. Kevins was worth the trip - those boys can play! For the younger, hipper crowd (say from the 1980s or so) Mass Brass will tune you up, and listening to players like Frank Dorritie and Johnny Grass you could close your eyes and you wouldn't be able to tell it's not the 60s and 70s editions. Simply amazing. And for some of you youngsters who missed earlier renditions of John "Screech" Arietano - fasten your seat belts - he hasn't lost a single overtone. If age has caused you to lose some of your high frequency hearing - bring your dog. He can still hear John's favored tessitura.

Glad I could make it and happy to see so many friends reaching back 50 years or so.

Ray Shame on you you left out the Bracken Cavaliers do you remember you were nominated for a post this week

Ladies & Gentle men we are the Bracken Cavaliers,We are the oldest Drum & bugle corps in the usa 1923 to be exact if its up to me we will be competing in Rochester ny as a mini Corp were new to this aspect but we will give you 125% of our heart just to let you enjoy yourselves our arrainger is Robert Adair BHOF Member Horn Caption Head Phil Demara Also A BHOFMember come 1 come all enjoy our show! Thank you all VKM

Edited by oldschool1180

Ray Shame on you you left out the Bracken Cavaliers do you remember you were nominated for a post this week

I think Ray was only commenting on the Bridgeport show that happened this past Saturday ... Bracken wasn't there ... however, they got some nice comments when they attended Reilly's show in March ... it should be interesting to see how they and the Enfield Centurions progress from now to DCA time ... does Bracken have other appearances scheduled at any shows over the summer?

:-)

Just returned from the long trip from the awards ceremony.Talked Diane's ears off about all the events that took place.Friday night at the bar with Andy,Ed Haywood,and many others was the start of a great weekend.

Saturday morning came,and so did practice with the SUNRISER REUNION ENSEMBLE. Seeing Bob Murphy,Frank D,Stan,John A,Billy P,and the other longtime Sun Giants was exciting to say the least.When we entered the practice room....Thank God we didn't have to go outside..nasty day.I approached Frank Dorritie with a request to fulfill a dream I had had for years.That was to play with the triple tongue feature in the famous "JOKER" that Sun had as their theme song for decades.We quickly got together to see how it would sound...."not bad" said Murph as we finished" your in".After a short workout Bob asked if "the new guy " would lead the corps in "Battle Hymn".I must say it was tough to get through it without getting emotional.

My family arrived just in time to see the old man..and POP POP...My 3 year old grand daughter was there too,perform with Sun's Alumni.Haven't played that hard in many years.I guess the spirit of the moment took over.The group sounded great to me.Kudos to all the great players involved..for covering my mistakes.

So many congrats...Hugs and Kisses..even from the guys!!! Shaking hands with Tommy Martin and Jimmy D'amico,the two icons I tried to pattern my playing style after,was worth the trip by itself.

Presenting the award to me was another Hero from my past Mr.Harry Hazelwood .I had not seen him for over 40 years ,since I was a very,very young soprano in the Cabs.To have someone I admired bestow the medal on me was thrilling.

I know I said it to most of the people there...and it may sound "corny",but this award was the high light of my long time quest to get recognition for my Dad who recently passed.He was involved with Drum Corps from the 40s,and never really made it to the 'Big Time".He was the motivation for me to start out in bugling,and I know he would be so proud that now our name will always be associated with the "Legends" of Drum Corps"I accepted this honor for both of us,and will cherish the memory of this day forever.Thanks again to everyone who made this dream come true for us.Bobby Burke

• Like 1

I know I said it to most of the people there...and it may sound "corny",but this award was the high light of my long time quest to get recognition for my Dad who recently passed.He was involved with Drum Corps from the 40s,and never really made it to the 'Big Time".He was the motivation for me to start out in bugling,and I know he would be so proud that now our name will always be associated with the "Legends" of Drum Corps"I accepted this honor for both of us,and will cherish the memory of this day forever.Thanks again to everyone who made this dream come true for us.Bobby Burke

I'm sure a very proud and happy Lou Burke is smiling down from above. Nicely said, Bob!

I'm sure a very proud and happy Lou Burke is smiling down from above. Nicely said, Bob!

It was 1959 or 60 whne I was sitting outside the PAL Hall on Staten Island 123rd Pct blowing a few notes on a soprano when Lou Burke came out and asked me why I wasn't in with the hornline. I told him I was a drummer and was just fooling around. His reply, " not anymore, get your ### inside".

Congrats Bob. And you're right, Lou was an unsung hero who knows how many youg kids lives he's touched and instructed. I think we all turned oout pretty good.

Some of what Donny described can be seen here:

I think Ray was only commenting on the Bridgeport show that happened this past Saturday ... Bracken wasn't there ... however, they got some nice comments when they attended Reilly's show in March ... it should be interesting to see how they and the Enfield Centurions progress from now to DCA time ... does Bracken have other appearances scheduled at any shows over the summer?

:-)we were supposed to do the newark show/evening with the corps on may 14th but it was posponed to a later date we got the jitters out of our system we are ready to have all of you enjoy our show till that time faithfully vkm Bracken Cavaliers - Baritone