A little advice for tour?

Just want to echo the thoughts on postive attitude: make the choice to have a good day. Keep that in your head through everything, especially when things may not be so easy. That mindset will pull you through it all, and when you look back at each day, you'll find that even the worst ones weren't so bad after all.

Everything adds up to the whole to make you a stronger performer and a stronger person. Remember that, and strive for that.

Edited by PunkRawkBandGeek
  • Like 2

I thought it was camphor? Could be (and most likely am) wrong.

Isn't this kind of another Bob Barker thing, that DCT has changed or is discontinued?

Isn't this kind of another Bob Barker thing, that DCT has changed or is discontinued?

Nah, you can still get it.

Nah, you can still get it.

Right. I just feel like that's the Bob Barker thing--every year since I aged out, it seems that folks are saying one or the other about DCT.

• Like 1

Socks. Putting on dirty socks is awful, and often get ruin. Overpack socks.

baskets for bus windows (similar to http://www.containerstore.com/shop/bath/showerTub/shelvesBaskets?productId=10012595&N=71787)

Call home often. Chances are people are missing you this summer. It can also help keep you sane.

Keep your horn clean. Always have nice new gloves. don't slouch, ever.

Gatorade powder. Just a little dash of the stuff in your jug can turn water into liquid candy during a 5 hour texas block

Socks

Pretend every rep is as important as finals night. Because it is.

If you mess up and get called out, don't get mad or flustered. Fix it. Getting mad will make you screw up more. Your corps mates won't get mad at you if you screw up every once in a while, it's normal, but if you start becoming a consistent screw up, you'll start getting some flack from staff and other members.

Take stretch time seriously. Your body will thank you. Plus the more limber you are, the better you march.

It's about a month from move ins. Use this time to WORK OUT and GET IN SHAPE. Spring training can be the worst experience ever if your body can't handle it, but it can be a blast and rewarding if you're ready. Lift weights. Core/ab exercises are key. Run 10 minutes every day, and try to increase it to at least 30 before spring training begins.

Bring a bandana to shield your chops from the sun during visual blocks where playing isn't necessary. Your lips are as important as your feet, keep em in good shape.

Try to be social, especially on the bus. It's easy to get stuck in your own world. Drum corps is a team sport, and you're all in it together. Get to know people, it'll make your days more pleasant.

Don't complain. Ever. Especially about the weather.

Bring extra socks.

Try to eat as much protein and carbs as you can. Protein helps keep your mind healthy and muscles rebuilding, and the carbs give your body energy to function.

Do your tour duty, no matter how much it sucks.

Realize that after finals, you're gonna come home in probably the best shape of your life, a sweet tan, a cool member jacket, awesome stories and jokes, and more outgoing, but don't make a huge deal out of it to all your friends. It's easy to become arrogant when you get back, especially at your high school or even college band program. Be humble and only speak about your corps experience when somebody asks.

Thats all I got for now

That's probably the best advice for myself.

I'm a rookie, so I haven't experienced the summer yet (obviously), but there is some advice that I can give. I for one being a trumpet player know that having good posture/breathing habits is key. Even if you're not at rehearsal, (or at drum corps for that matter), get in the habit of sitting/standing with good posture - it will help you out in drum corps, and in the rest of your life. As for breathing, I've noticed that the harder I work during any breathing exercises, I feel more relaxed, more focused, and I feel like it's easier to play. Taking in the right breath can make you or break you, no matter if it's drum corps, or an audition for a professional orchestra.

i'm pretty sure its a real thing. check the ingredients on their website, it contains menthol now. i dont think it used to.

google search menthol effect on lips and the top hit is this:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/20/is-menthol-lip-balm-bad-for-you/

Edited by wcmello09

i'm pretty sure its a real thing. check the ingredients on their website, it contains menthol now. i dont think it used to.

google search menthol effect on lips and the top hit is this:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/20/is-menthol-lip-balm-bad-for-you/

You are right, it does now. Under the inactive ingredients. Why did they have to change it?! WWWWWHHHHHYYYYYYY?????!!!!!!

You are right, it does now. Under the inactive ingredients. Why did they have to change it?! WWWWWHHHHHYYYYYYY?????!!!!!!

And yet again Burt's Bees Wax prevails.