A little advice for tour?

As mentioned so many times before Gold Balm. Also pack dryer sheets, place them between your clothes here and there. They make your clothes smell good but they also keep the bugs out of your suitcase. Take a camera...Journal, I know it sounds girly but once in a while when you are having down time on the bus and just want to have your own thoughts, write about some things you did in the day, Things that made you laugh out loud, things you saw in another state for the first time. Like a cockroach wearing a saddle. Memories are priceless and you go so fast a lot of them get away. Just write a few sentences. Bring pictures from home of your family and pets or friends now and again it's nice to see them and smile.

As said before SOCKS -- they get worn, stinky and stiff. Remeber too, staff have bad days so if you get jumped hard just keep going, they'll come around. Well unless you are worthless and they want you to quit, just kidding.

My son started drum corps in '97 aged out in '02. Two years later he went back as a visual instructor and has done it now about six years. This year is my daughter's first year in guard. I have always admired the kids and thought what a wonderful experience. I found out last week a position selling merchandise came up and I could go on tour too. Pretty exciting, a once in a life time experience for me and my kids. See you out there. Good Luck! :biggrin:

Since when was "NEEDING" Gold Bond the only reason to have it?! Sometimes you don't need it, but still crave that nice, fresh, dry feeling. I still keep a big bottle of green Gold Bond under the sink!

And about Gold Bond...always ALWAYS put it on while you're still wet after a shower. It's activated by water, so no matter what anyone else here tries to tell you, make sure you use it while still a bit wet. Green Gold Bond...wet. Very important.

:devil:

• Like 1

I'm a rookie this year in a world class group, and I'm looking forward to going on tour this summer. I was wondering if any of you battle-hardened vets had any advice for on tour that might increase my chances of survival this summer? :thumbup:

Cherish every moment. Take time to meet people outside of your section. Talk to the staff during water breaks and meals: even the ones who don't teach your section. Take a second in between thinking about drill sets, step sizes, pass-throughs, tempo, music accuracy, etc to enjoy playing in front of a crowd. Get to learn the history of your corps, don't be shy talking to alumni, and appreciate where your corps has been and where you're taking it this season. Meet some people from other corps when you get the chance. Try to learn early in tour how to sleep on a bus. Try to convince your friends and family to come out to as many shows as possible, and/or at least send you postcards, letters, and care packages through out the summer.

Remember that you will be surrounded by people who will help you when you need it, or answer any question you have: the vets have been there before, and the staff wants you to be the best. Don't be intimidated or too afraid of the tasks at hand. Buddy up with a vet on laundry and free days: you'll have more fun and not worry so much about the "procedure" of doing things. Your corps family will go out of their way to help you if you need it, even on days where you think you're not cutting it. Listen to your staff and trust what they tell you. Don't waste one second of rehearsal: make each rep improved from the last.

Don't worry about family at home, school in the fall, boyfriend/girlfriend, or other non-immediate non-drum corps business. All of that can wait and will be there when you get back. Don't EVER think of giving up, no matter what. Stick it out to the end and learn from your experience.

Have fun. Drum corps is a such a unique experience, and junior WC drum corps is something you can't do for ever. Relish every moment you put on your uniform, and try to often think about the members who wore the uniform before you (even if they wore a different uniform design).

Enjoy the moment and the summer. Good luck!

• Like 1

Since when was "NEEDING" Gold Bond the only reason to have it?! Sometimes you don't need it, but still crave that nice, fresh, dry feeling. I still keep a big bottle of green Gold Bond under the sink!

And about Gold Bond...always ALWAYS put it on while you're still wet after a shower. It's activated by water, so no matter what anyone else here tries to tell you, make sure you use it while still a bit wet. Green Gold Bond...wet. Very important.

:devil:

It also worked well putting some in your boxers on days you know will be hot and sweaty and mid rehearsal while everyone starts sweating and hating the heat, your gold bond should be kicking in and you'll feel like your in the arctic

• Like 2

Well, depending on where your alldays are situated. You'll most likely be shiny with sweat at any time of the day pretty much all season long.

I weaned myself off sunscreen. I'd have a bottle of 30 spf lotion that I would always use for my face all summer. I would also use that on my shoulders during spring training. I would go through about two bottles of 30 spf Target brand spray on stuff (coppertone sucks) and then down to two bottles of 15 spf spray. By the time I got through those I wouldn't need sunscreen anymore. I would sometimes still put it on shoulders and forearms since those seem to get the most sun.

ChopSaver for when you're not in the sun (or if you have the ChopSaver Gold stuff it has spf 15 or so use that) and DCT when in the sun. I'd put on lip stuff at least five times a day. Usually DCT before rehearsal and ChopSaver after rehearsal. And at night a nice lip massage with ChopSaver after a long rehearsal day is always nice.

EDIT: And underwear is stupid; don't wear it. I only wore it on free days. Two pairs of rehearsal shorts that rotate each day while the other one is drying from washing it in the shower. Roll it up in the towel and throw it in the suitcase. Unpack as soon as you get to the housing site and let that stuff dry out. Febreeze is your friend also. Instead of smelling like musty damp moldy garbage it'll make your stuff smell like musty damp moldy garbage with Febreeze on top of it.

Edited by mellodramatic

Well, depending on where your alldays are situated. You'll most likely be shiny with sweat at any time of the day pretty much all season long.

Apparently none of you have put on Gold Bond before being completely dry out of the shower. There's a distinct difference. A very distinct and important difference.

EDIT: And underwear is stupid; don't wear it.

This may be a gender-specific issue, but tell that to the 2 or 3 guys in the Scouts hornline who got elephantitus in '96. Stuff was no joke. The doctor told them they shouldn't even have been marching in boxers. He said tighty-whitey's were the way to go.

Seriously...it was no joke.