Best Brass Sound and Brass Exec. of All Time

The 1988 and 1993 Blue Devils called to say how much they are laughing at this thread, after being texted by 1985 Suncoast Sound.

Winning, y'all.

If you were to pick one show that would exemplify DCI's best brass sound ever, name the corps, the year, and the show title

similarly,

if you were to pick one show that would exemplify DCI's best executed brass book of all time, name the corps, year, show title etc.

I would make a poll for this topic, but I don't believe it would be appropriate for there are many fantastic shows out there, additionally it wouldn't be outrageous to state the same show, corps, year for both

For me...

Best Sound. 1992 Star of Indiana

Best Execution: 1988 Blue Devils

Most impact overall (whatever that means); 1975 Madison

I'll take " hanging their balls out of the bells " for 1000 Alex

Who are the 1975 Madison Scouts

Oh, I'm sorry. The correct answer is 1980 Spirit of Atlanta. We have some lovely parting gifts for you though...

I saw / heard both live several times and yes, SoA had a huge sound and at points in the show were louder than Madison, however for a larger % of the show, Scouts peeled the paint. I'll take both of them, ANYDAY.

I was the last place SoA stayed before the accident in 80. I tried to accomidate their every wish, at one point Jim asked if there was anything they could do for me and I asked him to face the corps " at THAT house and play Georgia". Jim asked if it was someone from Atlanta?...No. A drum corps nut ? No, thats the house that complaines that my 40 peice band is too #### loud. BAHAHAHAHA after that we never had a complaint.

I think for Brass Sound, no one did it quite like Blue Devils 94. The power and control on that show was nothing short of amazing.

I think Brass Execution has been great from several corps including alot of those mentioned already. I think Star 91 and Cavaliers 2002 would be at the top of my list, hard to choose between those 2.

04 was just a stellar year for brass playing. Cavies and BD the obvious choices for this year, both stellar shows.

A show that often falls in the cracks is 04 Phantom. The runs and technique in this show wile on the move is outstanding. For example the euphoniums lick after the end of the intro and the trumpet runs that follow.

I think the only time a section stands and plays a lick is the (ridiculous!) trumpet feature after the drum break.

They were making much better overall sounds this year compared to 03, much more control with a lot of volume.

Although yes I am biased, when it comes to comparisons I try to be as objective as I can. I felt when it comes to brass technique (especially while on the move as opposed to standing for a feature) this show deserves to be mentioned. And even an honorable mention for 09 PR, another pretty technical horn book.

• Like 1

04 was just a stellar year for brass playing. Cavies and BD the obvious choices for this year, both stellar shows.

A show that often falls in the cracks is 04 Phantom. The runs and technique in this show wile on the move is outstanding. For example the euphoniums lick after the end of the intro and the trumpet runs that follow.

I think the only time a section stands and plays a lick is the (ridiculous!) trumpet feature after the drum break.

They were making much better overall sounds this year compared to 03, much more control with a lot of volume.

Although yes I am biased, when it comes to comparisons I try to be as objective as I can. I felt when it comes to brass technique (especially while on the move as opposed to standing for a feature) this show deserves to be mentioned. And even an honorable mention for 09 PR, another pretty technical horn book.

I have a recording of them playing that fugue in the lot at finals from 04, it is INCREDIBLY ridonkulously clean, and very technical. With the euphs even double the runs. wow. That show could have been a completely different beast with the visual/guard staff they got the next year.

96 PR.

Winner! © Charlie Sheen.

Not sure where they's come in this list but their sopranos were especially good this year.

• Like 1

'86 Suncoast Sound (Adventures In Time) would have to be on this list somewhere.

I wholeheartedly agree!

• Like 1