2011 Shows That 'Set New Standards'

RiseUP79

I only mention the difference because (IN MY OPINION) I didn't see many groups that set new standards for the activity this year. I saw plenty of groups that set new standards for themselves, though.

But I wanted to try and set a tone for the topic BEFORE it turns into "omg, these were my favorites!"

I'm simply trying to do you a favor so there can be some decent discussion out of this thread, and probably the kind you're looking for.

Discussion that...YOU deem decent?

Well...thanks for 'setting the tone' for the rest of us. God forbid people list their 'favorites'.

Edited by RiseUP79

I will bite. I will divide this into captions.

Equipment-

SW

I have been floored by Trumball for years. This is the first time I think everything was on the next level though. I agree with Scott that their technique is stellar. Their catch technique is amazing. To me they are the gold standard in SW equipment. of course, They didnt win equipment because caption judging is a myth, but thats another topic all together.

Runner up; West Johnston... underrated in equipment... alot...

IW

SCV was the most amazing twirling I have seen since the season finale of Toddlers and Tiaras... Their work is so difficult in a handsy non-traditional way. Well... tradtional for Jim Moore and Greg Legola. There is a third guy who writes for them but the name escapes me. Makes me reconsider strapless rifles, which is (again) another topic.

Runners up; Corona... They are just fearless. what i like about Shapiro, he pushes his team to through those sevens... a lot of them... with turns... and feet... and (you get the point) Alter Ego... seriously, what are the feeding kids in CT.

Movement-

Full disclosure... not my forte.

SW

Arcadia- there is a level of polish to their extensions and commitment to length through their movements that turn my crank. Every year.

runner up; Carmel. They were triad with a capital T! They werent just holding their equipment while dancing. It was full body composition. Loved it. And to do it wearing that uniform with the line... wow.

IW

SCV- Again, they have full body equipment that I think is what everyone should aspire to, but too few do.

runner up; Opus X... they are sooooooooooooooooooo trained. but nothing really new per se. But they set new standards in execution.

Ensemble-

SW

Carmel- moving 24 stools throughout an entire show and it is effortless the entire time. Depth of composition, and the vertically planned events are near perfect.

Runner-up; Logan. Deconstructed reconstructed WSS. Mark Metzger is out there and I like it.

IW

(bring the torches) Onyx- heads are still reeling and eyes are still rolling but this show was an event. It was a game changer in what is considered ensemble. This scares a lot of people but it really gets me thinking of other options as a designer. The how may not have been perfect put there was plenty of WHAT? It reminded me of William Forsyth. Me and Scott disagree on this one. We already moved on. Love you boo!

runner up; SAC! I was really pulling for them to get 3rd. This was so close with Onyx. I love the music choices and the staging had so much depth while still achieving such clarity. Their equipment book was so demanding and innovative. But... you have to keep it in your hands. God I wanted them to medal!!!

General Effect-

SW-

West Johnston. Interactive colorguard. Duffy did what everyone always joked about... a 3D show. It was a testament that there are still ideas out there to keep colorguard fresh. It was a simple clear idea that was done to the nth degree. and a fleet of plasma screen hdtvs...

runner-up; Carmel. It wasnt a guard show, it was a motivational clinic.

IW-

SCV- intelligent complex design with accessible music woven into orchestral pieces to create a new whole composition. Layering pieces to tell a different story and done the best I have ever seen it.

Runner-up; Onyx. Being that this is about new standards. Mike really opened up the options for how to achieve effect. Even if you didnt like the show... it was refreshing to see how one can be effective in non-traditional ways. That is where they succeeded in my opinion. I didn't clap once during it. I stood up at the end. In awe. Then screamed my head off.

• Like 5

I will bite. I will divide this into captions.

Equipment-

SW

I have been floored by Trumball for years. This is the first time I think everything was on the next level though. I agree with Scott that their technique is stellar. Their catch technique is amazing. To me they are the gold standard in SW equipment. of course, They didnt win equipment because caption judging is a myth, but thats another topic all together.

Runner up; West Johnston... underrated in equipment... alot...

IW

SCV was the most amazing twirling I have seen since the season finale of Toddlers and Tiaras... Their work is so difficult in a handsy non-traditional way. Well... tradtional for Jim Moore and Greg Legola. There is a third guy who writes for them but the name escapes me. Makes me reconsider strapless rifles, which is (again) another topic.

Runners up; Corona... They are just fearless. what i like about Shapiro, he pushes his team to through those sevens... a lot of them... with turns... and feet... and (you get the point) Alter Ego... seriously, what are the feeding kids in CT.

Movement-

Full disclosure... not my forte.

SW

Arcadia- there is a level of polish to their extensions and commitment to length through their movements that turn my crank. Every year.

runner up; Carmel. They were triad with a capital T! They werent just holding their equipment while dancing. It was full body composition. Loved it. And to do it wearing that uniform with the line... wow.

IW

SCV- Again, they have full body equipment that I think is what everyone should aspire to, but too few do.

runner up; Opus X... they are sooooooooooooooooooo trained. but nothing really new per se. But they set new standards in execution.

Ensemble-

SW

Carmel- moving 24 stools throughout an entire show and it is effortless the entire time. Depth of composition, and the vertically planned events are near perfect.

Runner-up; Logan. Deconstructed reconstructed WSS. Mark Metzger is out there and I like it.

IW

(bring the torches) Onyx- heads are still reeling and eyes are still rolling but this show was an event. It was a game changer in what is considered ensemble. This scares a lot of people but it really gets me thinking of other options as a designer. The how may not have been perfect put there was plenty of WHAT? It reminded me of William Forsyth. Me and Scott disagree on this one. We already moved on. Love you boo!

runner up; SAC! I was really pulling for them to get 3rd. This was so close with Onyx. I love the music choices and the staging had so much depth while still achieving such clarity. Their equipment book was so demanding and innovative. But... you have to keep it in your hands. God I wanted them to medal!!!

General Effect-

SW-

West Johnston. Interactive colorguard. Duffy did what everyone always joked about... a 3D show. It was a testament that there are still ideas out there to keep colorguard fresh. It was a simple clear idea that was done to the nth degree. and a fleet of plasma screen hdtvs...

runner-up; Carmel. It wasnt a guard show, it was a motivational clinic.

IW-

SCV- intelligent complex design with accessible music woven into orchestral pieces to create a new whole composition. Layering pieces to tell a different story and done the best I have ever seen it.

Runner-up; Onyx. Being that this is about new standards. Mike really opened up the options for how to achieve effect. Even if you didnt like the show... it was refreshing to see how one can be effective in non-traditional ways. That is where they succeeded in my opinion. I didn't clap once during it. I stood up at the end. In awe. Then screamed my head off.

Hehe...I really respect your points about Onyx...and everytime I hear someone who obviously takes the time to make educated statements, my views may...JUST may sway a bit. I try to take a look at things with a different perspective when someone intelligent gives me something other than just 'you're crazy'.

Love your comments overall...great discussion. :-)

I must admit though...I often find myself clapping when no one else is. I clapped numerous times in finals when I found things to be 'effective' to me...and heard very very few others clapping. Opus 10 and Corona (along with some others) had a lot of those moments for me (and yes, full disclosure: I marched Crown/Corona, so I am somewhat partial to what Michael 'does'). But...another great point to discuss: are things only effective when the audience responds?

I did not clap once during Onyx, but that didn't mean I didn't think things were 'effective'. Do I think it created the 'effect' that I enjoy or appreciate, no, but I am one person and realize there will be things that I may dislike and others will think are genius (I am still of the opinion they should have been nailed in the downstairs captions, but I agree there were things they excelled at in GE and Ens).

We all respond in different ways to different things.

Edited by RiseUP79

Since I sat in the second row i would find myself clapping for things that no one clapped for, but i think that was because I was acknowledging individual efforts and individual nuances that had been written in the show. Sitting down close to the floor, definitely gives you a better appreciation for the guard..

While Onyx may not have had a bunch of applause, I was able to clap for those or yell "Get it, or...YES..." whatever it may have been (like a 12 yr old girl at times) several times during t heir show. There are a lot of individual moments that were very effective.

I also think that a lot of people who do not want to be the only person clapping, haha I personally do not mind being the only person clapping for an effective moment that may not have been the focus at the time!

• Like 1

...and back to the topic!!!!! :ph34r:

Since I was not directly involved with any colorguards in World Class Finals (SW and IW), I would like to discuss who I (and the audience) felt had the greatest impact on and affected the audience (and colorguard) in 2011. Opinions and discussion (ANY AND ALL) welcome!

allowing battery powered devices [video projection,lighting effects] is a huge impact and i think designers have just started to scratch the surface of what can be done!it's a brave new world!

as part of their educational process encouraging the academy students [future judges] to attend a live rehearsal.this year onyx world and SCV were hosts.

guards who handled their equipment meticulously with control and finese were the audience favorites......proving technique and the appreciation of it is NOT dead!this is still an activity built and centered around spinning apperatus.

continued embracing of the "international" in WGI.

also noted,with the exception of a few,humor is still in short supply.

Edited by dugg
  • Like 3

No Flanagan love? It was refreshing to be able to comprehend and enjoy a light-hearted show that didn't have narration yelling at me the entire time... (this is not a crack at previous Flanagan programs, but rather at this new trend where narration drowns out the soundtrack)

from program design to soundtrack perhaps one of the biggest impacts on the activity has been and continues to be youtube[b.2005].

Edited by dugg
  • Like 1