Welcome Back, Guards

Welcome Back Guard!!

I just wanted to offer a "welcome back" to all guard members as I believe most will be rejoining their corps this weekend at camp.

Sometimes, I think "the guard" doesn't get enough credit for what they bring to a drum corps show. I myself wouldn't want to see a drum corps show without them. I enjoy watching their weapon precision, dancing, and both the masculine shows that corps like the Cavaliers and Scouts field and the often more feminine performances from corps like Glassmen, Blue Devils, SCV and others. In my opinion, guards are the "sugar and spice" of any drum corps show and a show would be pretty bland without them.

Best of luck to all guards this summer. Thanks for adding the "color" to a drum corps show.

I know there's a guard forum, but I ask that the mods keep it here.

• Like 2

Welcome Back Guard!!

I just wanted to offer a "welcome back" to all guard members as I believe most will be rejoining their corps this weekend at camp.

Sometimes, I think "the guard" doesn't get enough credit for what they bring to a drum corps show. I myself wouldn't want to see a drum corps show without them. I enjoy watching their weapon precision, dancing, and both the masculine shows that corps like the Cavaliers and Scouts field and the often more feminine performances from corps like Glassmen, Blue Devils, SCV and others. In my opinion, guards are the "sugar and spice" of any drum corps show and a show would be pretty bland without them.

Best of luck to all guards this summer. Thanks for adding the "color" to a drum corps show.

I know there's a guard forum, but I ask that the mods keep it here.

Per marcher, more points on the current judging scoring sheets are allotted to a Guard performer than any other performer in a Corps, so they sure get " credit " there, thats for sure.

Best of success to all Guard performers this year in Corps. They do a lot in terms of helping their Corps bring home the theme to audiences, as well as help their Corps score well when they perform well.

Sometimes, I think "the guard" doesn't get enough credit for what they bring to a drum corps show. I myself wouldn't want to see a drum corps show without them. I enjoy watching their weapon precision, DANCING, and both the masculine shows that corps like the Cavaliers and Scouts field and the often more feminine performances from corps like Glassmen, Blue Devils, SCV and others.

If I want to see dancing and prancing, I'll go to the Ballet.................

• Like 2

2 decades in 2 paragraphs. It was the winter of 68, we proudly entered the enclosed space, sweat from our shakos, heat trying to radiate through the thick wool tunics trying to stay sure footed in the soles of the heavy leather boots sealed with electrical tape to protect the polished gym floor. There was silence and then the sound of simultaneous mark time, whoosh of the flag and snap of the 8 foot pole, clap of the strap on the wooden rifle after the click, click, click sound of single spins and then the bang of metal on metal as the poles posted. The summer of 69 had days of sweeping wind while standing still, the rain soaked flags stuck to the face, mounds of hair moulded into the shako, boots lined with wool socks on a hot afternoon all while standing still. They wanted to move more. They needed to dance to shoo the mosquitoes away :tongue:

It was the winter of 1980. A few years before we had explored the floor wearing pliable polyester, arms extended and jazz slippers, pointed toe, freedom to feel the music. The poles were shorter, flags lighter, straps removed from the rifles and the sabre became an extension of the body. We had our last drum corps tour in the summer of 79. A photo I took at dress rehearsal winter of 80 with 6 winter guard members, whom up until then were a sop, a baritone and 4 percussionists, collectively with 33 years drum corps experience and when this photo was taken, had years to go before turning 21. Did they dance? Yes they did and they liked it! They wouldn't do it if they didn't. Once you start moving it's hard to stop the momentum, in my opinion. If the music moves you, move to it. Welcome back guard. Have a great summer in 2011 and get it! :bigsmile:

1980-wg1-a.jpg

• Like 1

Color Guards were never military drill teams. I'm glad they have evolved in the direction they have. For those of you who appreciate a fine display of military precision and weapon-handling, the annual National High School Drill Team Championships and World Drill Championships are being held this weekend in Daytona Beach, FL. Lovers of old school color guards will not be disappointed by the level of militaristic excellence on display by some of America's finest students!

Go guard! Dance your hearts out this summer! I am always in awe of what you do! :worthy:

• Like 2

Color Guards were never military drill teams. I'm glad they have evolved in the direction they have. For those of you who appreciate a fine display of military precision and weapon-handling, the annual National High School Drill Team Championships and World Drill Championships are being held this weekend in Daytona Beach, FL. Lovers of old school color guards will not be disappointed by the level of militaristic excellence on display by some of America's finest students!

Go guard! Dance your hearts out this summer! I am always in awe of what you do! :worthy:

Ditto! :thumbup: