Cadets2

i would think mainly local, unless they do like a student thing where they stay with someone and do some classes for school during the week or work...WORK now theres a concept..lol

If this holds true, I see this as a long term boom for the YEA organization, and a returning to roots of a more local corps organization overall,...................yes a DCI corps that bring in talent from all over the world is cool, but the costs involved for the members as well as the organization is spiralling out of control,................ building a local member base is good business in many, many ways,............

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

An escerpt from George's responce to Ken on Facebook:

... And if things to not shake as we expect, we could adjust -- but only by a few years. I know folks do it -- but we get a little nervous with 40 year olds and 16 year olds hanging out on the same bus...

Not to dredge this up... :devil:

(just catching up on DCP after a long hiatus)

I really really Really REALLY dislike the argument Hoppy is using here. I think it's demeaning and really calls into question the morals of every all-ager that shares the field/bus with younger folks.

Those of us who have shared bus and field with teenagers while being old farts ourselves are well aware of boundaries. In Mr. Hopkins' world, he seems to be suggesting we're all perverted ingrates. *We* know that it becomes much more a big bro/sis sort of relationship. *We* know that this simply isn't an issue at all, and that things just don't work that way.

I put my money (and my kids!) where my mouth is too. Both of my kids started as early teens. My oldest marched 5 years with CV and started at 13 and my youngest is on year 2, starting at 16. I trust corps members implicitly with my children, and never does this sort of thought even come close to entering my mind when someone brings up these sorts of implications in this kind of conversation.

If you want to keep your membership in one particular area age-wise, that is fantastic. DCA rules allow it, and if it helps your main organization, more power to you. But, please please PLEASE stop perpetuating this outright myth. If it's the >only< reason you're restricting age, then you have a few other things you probably need to work out for yourself.

• Like 2

Like what? Please tell me what tunes DCA corps have played that no other corps has played.

CorpsVets 2004 - "Naima" by John Coltrane.

Nicely stated, very well put, and BRAVO!

I really really Really REALLY dislike the argument Hoppy is using here. I think it's demeaning and really calls into question the morals of every all-ager that shares the field/bus with younger folks.

Those of us who have shared bus and field with teenagers while being old farts ourselves are well aware of boundaries. In Mr. Hopkins' world, he seems to be suggesting we're all perverted ingrates. *We* know that it becomes much more a big bro/sis sort of relationship. *We* know that this simply isn't an issue at all, and that things just don't work that way.

I put my money (and my kids!) where my mouth is too. Both of my kids started as early teens. My oldest marched 5 years with CV and started at 13 and my youngest is on year 2, starting at 16. I trust corps members implicitly with my children, and never does this sort of thought even come close to entering my mind when someone brings up these sorts of implications in this kind of conversation.

If you want to keep your membership in one particular area age-wise, that is fantastic. DCA rules allow it, and if it helps your main organization, more power to you. But, please please PLEASE stop perpetuating this outright myth. If it's the >only< reason you're restricting age, then you have a few other things you probably need to work out for yourself.

"An escerpt from George's responce to Ken on Facebook:

... And if things to not shake as we expect, we could adjust -- but only by a few years. I know folks do it -- but we get a little nervous with 40 year olds and 16 year olds hanging out on the same bus..."

Irony meter PEGGED!!!!

Irony #1 as I joined a Sr corps at age 16 and rode with two board members my first year. Then rode with the equipment truck guy who was around 60.

Irony #2 is a lot of minors joined when I did. BoD was concerned about "little Johnny and Susie" having sex while with the corps. Never heard any worries about over/under age combinations but the corps would have been quick to kick butts out.

Oh yeah..... this was 1974...........

"An escerpt from George's responce to Ken on Facebook:

... And if things to not shake as we expect, we could adjust -- but only by a few years. I know folks do it -- but we get a little nervous with 40 year olds and 16 year olds hanging out on the same bus..."

Irony meter PEGGED!!!!

Irony #1 as I joined a Sr corps at age 16 and rode with two board members my first year. Then rode with the equipment truck guy who was around 60.

Irony #2 is a lot of minors joined when I did. BoD was concerned about "little Johnny and Susie" having sex while with the corps. Never heard any worries about over/under age combinations but the corps would have been quick to kick butts out.

Oh yeah..... this was 1974...........

Gotta agree with you here, Jim. From some of the tales I've heard about tour activities, "16-year olds and 40-year olds" are the least of their problems. It appears to me that 16-year olds and 20- or 22-year olds is an even more incendiary situation - something about hormone levels and all that.

• Like 1

Honestly...I don't think that is it.

what does the Y in YEA stand for?

Youth.

so if he allows 40 year old folks in there, he's going against his organizations charter

• Like 1

Honestly...I don't think that is it.

what does the Y in YEA stand for?

Youth.

so if he allows 40 year old folks in there, he's going against his organizations charter

Not to disagree with you Jeff (yeah, that's never happened :rolleyes: )

I quoted Hoppy himself stating precisely that fact was a big part of his issue. Go back and read the quote.

I've seen this come up from time to time in discussions on this forum, and I generally move to demolish them ANY time they come up by ANY person who brings it up.

This simply isn't an issue, and it falls into the category of "stupid myths perpetuated by individuals because they are either misinformed or it fits their agenda".

Now... which one is Hopkins? :ph34r: