Which company makes the best horns for each section?

Stradbrother

What Kanstul (the company) doesn't do - sponsor corps, give away instruments, compromise quality.

My hope is that Conn-Selmer can find a way to be competitive on the business side with these horns. They don't give horns away, and they've lost a lot of their corps market-share to Jupiter which has been doing so with their own, mediocre-to-decent offerings.

what is this "giving away instruments" deal? i want a free horn! :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

WRONG!! =)

Kanstul has held their marching brass / bugle prices firm since 2009. Not only that, the MAP ("minimum advertised price") is extremely competitive with Yamaha and King - It's my job to keep it that way!

What Kanstul horns do - play in tune with themselves and others. Project better. The offer better response, balance, intonation, construction, and value.

What Kanstul (the company) doesn't do - sponsor corps, give away instruments, compromise quality.

Kanstul horns are still built in the USA, in Anaheim California.

All the best,

Kanstul makes the best Mellophone! I play a G bugle and Kanstuls are superior. One other thing Kanstul does, and thank you for this.... They provide the USMC Commandant's Drum and Bugle Corps not only G bugles but 2 valve G bugles. This keeps Col Crawfords traditions alive and well. A big Semper Fi to Kanstul! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Dynasty Bb horns are no good. Just to set the record straight. Especially the baritone. I played one of BDs horns in HS for two weeks. My yamaha needed new valve guides (before they were reinforced... but the reinforced valve guides still suck) so someone, someone knew had just purchased on of BDs baritones, I think from the 03 or 04 season. It was awful. Slotted pretty bad, and i thought middle C was bad on the Yamaha... the Dynasty wasn't even close!!! Anyway... I played on one a couple of summers ago to see if they made any changes. Still sucked.

I'll give more of a review of other brands later.

• 2 months later...

Paxman horns have been well-known with some expert players since they began making designs by the Richard Merewether. The most typical make in US orchestras, where wide bore horns are the standard, seems to be Conn, but their locations of produce have modified over the last many years or so & the equipment created in Texas are of very diverse excellent, according to some players.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an extremely old thread, but I wish to put in my opinion. Now, I am only familia with tubas/contras, so here we go:

Jupiter quantum - the new horns are fantastic. Now that they have gotten rid of the detachable bell. Intonation is excellent on the new ones. Only downside is that they are heavier than the other horns currently being used in DCI today. IMO, one of the nicest playing horns in production.

King system blue - light! Plays well, with a consistent tone in all registers. Awkward to hold. Light!

King ultimate - light. Not as nice as system blue, but nice.

Yamaha - it's heavier than a king, much lighter than the Jupiter. Stuffy on lower notes

Overall I'd say Kanstul

2nd I'd say King

Tied for 3rd Yamaha and Dynasty. I like Yamahas Trumpets and Dynasty's Low Brass. I also hear a lot of bad things about Yamahas Tubas.

4th Jupiter although they are improving.

• 3 weeks later...

Paxman horns have been well-known with some expert players since they began making designs by the Richard Merewether. The most typical make in US orchestras, where wide bore horns are the standard, seems to be Conn, but their locations of produce have modified over the last many years or so & the equipment created in Texas are of very diverse excellent, according to some players.

While conn used to be the standard, I have noticed recently that other companies such as Paxman and Alexander have been making big strides in America. Personally, I am more than happy with my Holton that I've played on for the last 2 years