Which company makes the best horns for each section?

Stradbrother

So what do you guys think?

I can speak for trumpets here, with my favorite being with kings. I love kings, you can really put everything you have into them. My second favorite... You'll hate me for saying this... But Dynasty... They have a really nice tone, and for me, it was really comfortable. 3rd favorite, Yamaha. I really dont care for these horns. They feel so... Average. To me it feels like a factory horn. Yea, its a Xeno, but coming from a guy who playes on a Schilke outside of corps, it doesnt feel right. And last, Quantinum (Jupiter). I havnt played any recent ones, but a few years ago when it first came out, I did not like this horn. The main issue for me was comfort. It hurt to hold. It didnt feel natural, which, to me, makes the horn.

So what do you guys think for your section?

Personally I'm a fan of the King baritone/euphoniums.

With Yamaha it feels like the valve cluster is right in my face.

So what do you guys think?

I can speak for trumpets here, with my favorite being with kings. I love kings, you can really put everything you have into them. My second favorite... You'll hate me for saying this... But Dynasty... They have a really nice tone, and for me, it was really comfortable. 3rd favorite, Yamaha. I really dont care for these horns. They feel so... Average. To me it feels like a factory horn. Yea, its a Xeno, but coming from a guy who playes on a Schilke outside of corps, it doesnt feel right. And last, Quantinum (Jupiter). I havnt played any recent ones, but a few years ago when it first came out, I did not like this horn. The main issue for me was comfort. It hurt to hold. It didnt feel natural, which, to me, makes the horn.

So what do you guys think for your section?

Interesting you aren't a Yamaha fan. Try some of the older pro trumpet models, R. Schilke did design work for them(and everyone else) so you'll find similarities from some of his horns.

I like Yamaha Upper Brass. I'm not much of a low brass player, but I've had some good experiences with King horns. Kanstul also makes fantastic horns, in G or Bb/F, high or low brass.

Personally I'm a fan of the King baritone/euphoniums.

With Yamaha it feels like the valve cluster is right in my face.

I really like my Dynasty horn I dont like the Jup Quantams They sound CHEAP

Baritone/euphoniums:

Dynasty baritones - physically durable, and they play well in all ranges. They are heavy, though.

King baritones - very light, good for horn snaps, and they have a great upper range, but they are poop in the lower register and are much more bell-heavy than other baritones.

King euphoniums - great resonance and awesome lower range sound. My favorite horn to play, but since it's King and it's a euphonium it is obscenely bell-heavy. They also tend to have a lot of breaking-parts problems.

Haven't had enough experience on Yamaha or Quantum to compare.

Which one is "best"? It depends. In a perfect world where I have infinite arm strength and horns don't break down, King euphs.

Dynasty baris over King baris, though - they are more useful in every non-drum corps situation and play well in all ranges, not just middle Bb and higher.

Baritone/euphoniums:

Dynasty baritones - physically durable, and they play well in all ranges. They are heavy, though.

King baritones - very light, good for horn snaps, and they have a great upper range, but they are poop in the lower register and are much more bell-heavy than other baritones.

Started with a Die-nasty 2v Bari when I came back and oh yeah.. heavy as anything.

Have Kanstul 3v now but every other year I need a valve casing worked on because they get dinged (or whatever) and can't get a valve out (or back in) the horn. I consider it part of my dues anymore....

Bought an early 80s(?) King 2v that plays well but just seems too light and small. Yeah, bottom range (my usual place :tongue: ) is just not that full sounding.

Just bought an Olds piston/rotor which is what I played BITD. Surprised that the sound is as full as I remember it. Just have to be careful you don't mess up the tone playing upper range, especially playing upper range loudly.

Then we have my 1 valvers.... :cool:

Interesting you aren't a Yamaha fan. Try some of the older pro trumpet models, R. Schilke did design work for them(and everyone else) so you'll find similarities from some of his horns.

I like Yamaha Upper Brass. I'm not much of a low brass player, but I've had some good experiences with King horns. Kanstul also makes fantastic horns, in G or Bb/F, high or low brass.

What are Kanstuls usually compared to? Just so I can get an idea. I would die to try one of those horns... But they are so expensive...

And is Dynasty still made by DEG?

Zig Kanstul for years worked for the Olds company, and did lots of his early experimentation and design with them. Not bad for someone whose first job was just building french horn rotor valves!

I play Olds horns daily, I can't be happier with them!

These comments are directed twards newer horns that are being used in DCI.

King has the very best sounding contras/marching tubas, but they are very difficult to carry, especially for some younger students.

Yamaha by far has the best mellos, with Kanstul in second.

I do not have a whole lot of experience with baris but the best seems to be Yamaha and Kanstul. I have experience with King Ult baris and they are in my opinion nice but just a tad stuffy.

The best trumpet out there for DCI in my opinion, but to my knowledge are not being used, are the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb trumpets made by Kanstul. These FOWT trumpets are, in my opinion a million times better in every way than the trumpets corps are currently using. In my opinion King Ultimate trumpets are great for 2nds and thirds, but way to stuffy for lead.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1