Corps names

Having browsed DCP for sometime, I began to wonder how corps picked their names. Obviously Madison Scouts speaks for itself, but what about the Appleknockers,Blue Stars,Phantom etc.

Any interesting anecdotes?

Having browsed DCP for sometime, I began to wonder how corps picked their names. Obviously Madison Scouts speaks for itself, but what about the Appleknockers,Blue Stars,Phantom etc.

Some that are known somewhat from previous discussions.

George B was watching the movie Charge of the Light Brigade and the 27th Lancers were a unit in that movie.

The 11th Calvary was stationed in Casper.

Not sure but I heard BD has something to do with Mt Diablo?

Appleknockers used to be a Sr corps and name originally was an slam at the rural folk who lived in the area. Geneva must have a lot of orchards and someone supposedly said "Ya bunch of Appleknockers ya" when refering to the corps members. From History of Drum Corps Vol II if I remembered it correctly.

Crossmen - sponsored by AL Post #507 John Wesley Cross.

The Bridgemen took their name from the Bayonne Bridge, a well known, practically iconic landmark to the locals in their home city.

Fred O.

If I remember correctly - Blue Stars used to be the First Federal Blue Stars. First Federal was a financial institution sponsor with a Blue Star as its logo.

Dutch Boy was originally named after the grocery store chain, which is why their logo was an apple for a long time.

Phantom Regiment is based on a (I think) Kipling poem called "The Lost Legion."

Blue Devils exist in the shadow of Mount Diablo.

Edited by tommytimp

Frank Vanvoorhis, one of the original founders of the Blue Stars got the name from a singing group of the same name. The reason I know that is bacause when I was at his home one night he showed me the record album of the group and I think the group was from England. He had spoken with Dave Dummer about it and Dave agreed. The Blue Stars originally being a color guard of course that evolved into a full corps, of which I was a charter member. Wow, I had forgotten about that until I saw the question. I don't think I ever told anyone in the corps about that night in the 7 years I marched. Also, because the group was from England, they chose the helmet for head gear. First Federal was added later as the sponsor. Well, maybe the group was from somewhere else.

Edited by flamparadiddlediddle

Appleknockers used to be a Sr corps and name originally was an slam at the rural folk who lived in the area. Geneva must have a lot of orchards and someone supposedly said "Ya bunch of Appleknockers ya" when refering to the corps members. From History of Drum Corps Vol II if I remembered it correctly.

I beleive an appleknocker is an old world term for a carpenter of sorts,..........