Corps names

The General Butler Vagabonds were named as a result of a radio contest. General Richard Butler was a revolutionary war hero who later died fighting Native Americans at the Battle of the Wabash in 1791. According to Wikipedia, Butler was scalped and his heart eatten so that his foes could absorb his bravery. I guess someone who was a history buff called in to the radio station.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

Phantom Regiment is based on a (I think) Kipling poem called "The Lost Legion."

The story on Phantom Regiment was that the some members of the corps were listening to an old Syracuse Brigadiers album,

on which the Leroy Anderson march, "Phantom Regiment" was played. The kids thought the name was cool, and the rest is history.

George B was watching the movie Charge of the Light Brigade and the 27th Lancers were a unit in that movie.

With the end of the "Old" Immaculate Conception Reveries at the end of the 1967 season, the staff and members of the Old Reveries were assembled at the Bonfiglio house, trying to sort out the details of jump-starting of the new/unnamed corps. Where are we going to get uniforms and equipment? Will the Beachmont VFW Post continue to host our new corps? How can we raise money quickly?

They knew that newly-indepentent corps would continue M&M practice ("drill") in the largely-unused parking lot behind the Northgate Shopping Plaze in Revere. Everyone referred to the location as "Northgate". (e.g., Can I catch a ride with you from Northgate after drill? )

George B was watching the movie "The Charge of the Light Brigade," the somewhat fictitious story of the fateful battle during Crimean War between the British (and local tribes) against the Russians (and their tribal allies). The hero was Major Geoffrey Vickers (played by Errol Flynn) who preparing for the fateful charge, who enters headquarters and announced that "..... the 27th Lancers will assemble at the north gate."

George exclaimed "That's it! Perfect!" Someone asked "What's perfect, George?" and he replied, "The name of our new corps - the 27th Lancers will form at Northgate."

Edited by Navillus WP

...going strictly from memory...I believe the first American killed in WWI; a member of the famed Lafayette Escradrille, was Lt. Norman Prince...namesake of the Princemen Drum & Bugle Corps. When asked, "What was the theme song of the Princemen?" , most tend to answer 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.

I'm told by those wiser than me that the correct answer is "Stout-hearted Men" ( think Nelson Eddy, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ) LOL That goes w-a-a-a-a-y back !!!

...going strictly from memory...I believe the first American killed in WWI; a member of the famed Lafayette Escradrille, was Lt. Norman Prince...namesake of the Princemen Drum & Bugle Corps. When asked, "What was the theme song of the Princemen?" , most tend to answer 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.

I'm told by those wiser than me that the correct answer is "Stout-hearted Men" ( think Nelson Eddy, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ) LOL That goes w-a-a-a-a-y back !!!

Prince wan't the first one killed but did die while flying with the Lafayette Escradrille. If anyone interested in historical fiction, Jeff Shaaras' "To The Last Man" has Prince in it a good bit, along wiht other WWI historical figures.

Well since someone mentioned a Sr corps. There used to be a VFW corps named the Longshoremen from Wormlesyburg (yeah a real place), PA. Wormleysburg is on the WEST shore of the Susquehanna River but doubt if they ever had any longshoremen. Well, the corps won VFW Nationals in the early 50s and the Longshoremans Union hear about the use of the name... and the Union got PO'ed.... It was "suggested" that the corps change it's name or face legal action which a small VFW Post could not financial handle. So being on the west shore of the river, the name was changed to "Westshoremen".

Frank Vanvoorhis, one of the original founders of the Blue Stars got the name from a singing group of the same name. The reason I know that is bacause when I was at his home one night he showed me the record album of the group and I think the group was from England. He had spoken with Dave Dummer about it and Dave agreed. The Blue Stars originally being a color guard of course that evolved into a full corps, of which I was a charter member. Wow, I had forgotten about that until I saw the question. I don't think I ever told anyone in the corps about that night in the 7 years I marched. Also, because the group was from England, they chose the helmet for head gear. First Federal was added later as the sponsor.

You are correct about Frank and Dave liking the singing group called The Blue Stars,...but they were from France.

Aside from our constant bad taste in uniforms... the Argonauts are an old greek legend. But, there is a pub in Salem called "The Ram Pub" which I'm sure was the true inspiration.

Our name was also a change from the "Fabulous Flamingos", which is just an embarassment anyway.

Someone yells at the Reading Buccaneers: "Hey, Reading! Where are my Buccaneers?"

Corps yells back in unison: "On yer buccan-head!!"